How much has your English improved since you've been in EC?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Greatly improved
33%
Improved
40%
Lightly improved
20%
The same
7%

Total votes: 15

Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

How much has your English improved since you've been in EC? Do you think it's better? I vote for the first. Just read my first posts and lastest posts, you will see! :wink:

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Improved. In school I chosed second language as germans. English I have learned here... Before coming here, I understand only computerspecific words in english. Now I can communicate in english too.. a little.

btw. my english is better than germans.. and I chosed germans because somehow I thinked that it's easier to learn. Actually i don't liked englishteacher.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

:wink: Nice poll, Ary. You stole my idea, by the way :lol: . :lol: Just joking. What I mean to say is, "why didn't I think of it???? :cry: :cry: :cry: "
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Hardi wrote: Actually i don't liked englishteacher.
No, no, dear Hardi, please try to like them. Then, I bet you will love them hehe :mrgreen:

P.S: Because I'm also a teacher of English. :mrgreen:

LennyeTran wrote::wink: Nice poll, Ary. You stole my idea, by the way :lol: . :lol: Just joking. What I mean to say is, "why didn't I think of it???? :cry: :cry: :cry: "
Len, lol, maybe we had the same idea, but I was quicker than you. :mrgreen: I also think it's a very nice topic! :mrgreen: Thanks so much!

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

Then you are first english teacher who I like.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Hardi wrote:Then you are first english teacher who I like.
Count me in, too :wink: .
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Arale wrote: Len, lol, maybe we had the same idea, but I was quicker than you. :mrgreen: I also think it's a very nice topic! :mrgreen: Thanks so much!

_Arale_
Not this time. I didn't even think about it this time. You were one step ahead of me thinking about it.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Hardi wrote:Then you are first english teacher who I like.
Thanks Hardi. I'm happy to know that. :D

I also disliked English when I was at high school because my English at that time was too terrible (English wasn't an important subject at my school). Honestly, I hated the subject of English. As a result, I didn't like my English teachers too. I only liked math and literature.

So you might wonder why I chose English as my major? I really enjoyed the "Cartoon channel" on TV when I was young. Certainly all of those cartoon films were spoken in my mother tongue. But one time, perhaps there was some trouble so the film I liked wasn't translated into Vietnamese. And it was spoken in English. I understood nothing. I was very sad and furious too. I told myself that I had to study English so I could understand what the characters in my favourite cartoon communicated with each other.

I didn't know that the mistake in that cartoon film helped me like English. After a period of learning, I found it quite interesting. But the more I study, the more I feel I'm bad at it. :cry: I couldn't dislike my English teachers then because I had to ask them many things. 8)

I didn't know that it's very hard to be a teacher of English. I feel very sorry when I didn't understand my teachers. :cry: Now I'm a teacher and I know teachers have to suffer much. :roll:

That's "the road" I have known English. Now I like English and want to continue studying it, though, as I said above, the more I study, the more I feel I'm bad at it. It's English that helps me be here today with you and many other friends in the forums. It's English that helps me understand more about other cultures. It's English that now makes me really happy. :D

_Arale_
Last edited by Arale on Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

More you learn, less you know. Once one my friend wanted me to write a encryption script for him. I was never before done something like this. Also I searched some manuals and examples from internet. The more I readed the more paranoid I got. Well I finished that project and I don't have 1000 lock in my apartment front door but..

fortunately I have enough ego, to not worry about my good english.

I disliked school in generally. My dream was farming, I liked to read tractors handbooks, not school books, even if those handbooks was in russian I readed them. I don't understand russian very well, and I not liked to learn it in scool, but if I'm interresed about context in that book, then I don't need even dictionary always.
Lalee
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Lalee »

Arale wrote:So you might wonder why I chose English as my major? I really enjoyed the "Cartoon channel" on TV when I was young. Certainly all of those cartoon films were spoken in my mother tongue. But one time, perhaps there was some trouble so the film I liked wasn't translated into Vietnamese. And it was spoken in English. I understood nothing. I was very sad and furious too. I told myself that I had to study English so I could understand what the characters in my favourite cartoon communicated with each other.
_Arale_
Arale, that was very interesting. I think most people didn't enjoy English much when they were at school.
The same happened to me but since I was fond of music in English, I had to learn it.
I just couldn't stand signing along with my favorite singer without understanding a thing. So we can say that music helped me get interested in English.

Regarding your poll, I think my English has improved here. Not a lot but at least it's something. :wink:
Last edited by Lalee on Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Hardi wrote: I disliked school in generally. My dream was farming, I liked to read tractors handbooks, not school books, even if those handbooks was in russian I readed them. I don't understand russian very well, and I not liked to learn it in scool, but if I'm interresed about context in that book, then I don't need even dictionary always.
Hardi, you can learn by yourself if you dislike school. We can't learn everything in school. I think we learn much from real life. What we studied in school is just theory, which is much different from what we meet and face in daily life. English is a good sample. We come here and improve it every day, little by little. Surely we need the basic English, what we learnt at school or from someone else. But there are some things we never can learn. I think so. :roll:

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Lalee wrote: Arale, that was very interesting. I think most people didn't enjoy English much when they were at school.
The same happened to me but since I was fond of music in English, I had to learn it.
I just couldn't stand signing along with my favorite singer without understand a thing. So we can say that music helped me get interested in English.

Regarding your poll, I think my English has improved here. Not a lot but at least it's something. :wink:
Lalee, I also like listening to music much and I usually listen to English songs. When I was at school, I couldn't understand what foreign singers sang, but I liked their songs' melody. I have collected English songs and it's wonderful when I can understand the meaning of those songs.

_Arale_
Nothing lasts forever...
Sigma
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Sigma »

For me ,I think it's improved!
I began to study english was in Junior middle school, first met this language, it's very interesting, so I loved it. But when I got Grade Three,my english fell like slope, cause I was too proud to study better! I thought learning english subject was just for the test. If I failed, I couldn't enter the Senior middle school, so English was a task, I didn't like it later,but detest it!
Later, however I tried my best to learn, my english score was always beside 60 point, I don't know why. At the college school, I had no choice,I must learn more and more,no stop, what the most lucky thing was I passed the CET, the score was 60,no more and no less points. And got this certificate, I got the Shanghai registered permanent residence.
Although I passd the CET4 , I know my english level. I must be continue, now, I can't keep the read ,I must write ,say, and listen.
I'm not a frequenter of EC, but I learn and improve much. I can express my feelings here, my points. The best way for me to make a well improve is to post posts everyday in EC!
Love my life! Love my friends! Love the world!
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Sigma wrote: The best way for me to make a well improve is to post posts everyday in EC!
Some people post, but they never proofread their posts. The best way to improve your English is to proofread your posts afterwards. If you can see your own mistakes, you're half-way to an improvement :wink: .
Sigma
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Sigma »

LennyeTran wrote:
Sigma wrote: The best way for me to make a well improve is to post posts everyday in EC!
Some people post, but they never proofread their posts. The best way to improve your English is to proofread your posts afterwards. If you can see your own mistakes, you're half-way to an improvement :wink: .

Good suggestions! thank u !
I will
Love my life! Love my friends! Love the world!
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: How much has your English improved since you've been in EC?

Post by Annaa »

I don`t think that I improved my English cuz I`m new here,but I`m here to imprive it and I hope I will speak English fluently(with teacher`s help that r here :oops: :-D ).
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
Malvina

Post by Malvina »

I haven't known forum of english club till this time. English club always sends me e-mail with lessons. I read it, take tests, but now, I'm assure it's forum is more enjoyable and easy for learning.
Thanks so much to EnglishClub, but I can't poll now as I'm new in forum. I hope I'll have happy progress.
I'm member of some forums in my own tounge. There are advantages and disadvantages between them. I suggest administrator and such persons to divide forums with subject, because it became mixed type. "Love" in "Opinions". It must have sertain forum about love and so on. Can I explain?
Secondly, users are used to writing a lot of off-top and floods. Does forum have moderators who should pay attention for it?
I'm very glad that I joined you. Consider me as friend. {-:
bhavatmaj

Post by bhavatmaj »

I think my English has improved a bit, as I hardly had a month since I joined it.
And I am sure it will keep on improving.
bhavatmaj
Handmade beaded necklace from craftsmen of Indian Villages.