Should we have more than two generations in family?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Yes
25%
No
75%

Total votes: 4

Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Should we have more than two generations in family? What are your opinions? Do your Grandfather and Grandmother live with your family now? Many people don't like to live with the old because they fear they would have different thoughts, actions, hobbies...All people will get old so we should not give up our chance to live with our Grandfather and Grandmother. They have much experience of life so we can learn much from them. They are also our best friends when we - the young ones - have some problems. Their stories are also extremely attractive. Those stories are so different from ours as they belong to another generation, another time. Sometimes, they maybe be strict but they just want the best things for us. I voted for the first one and I support the type of family having more than two generations.

_Arale_
Hardi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Hardi »

It depends... if there is enough room and your mother/father-in-law are normal, then why not... surely u must have two kitchen because two cooks in one kitchen doesn't work out.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

I don't know, I never lived with my grandparents, although two of them used to live on the story below mine. Now they are gone and my other two grandparents live in another part of the town. I hardly ever go to see them and I know I should do it more often. Sometimes I wonder how it would be like to live with them, and I am sure we would be really great together.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

No. My grandma used to live with my uncle's family, but the kids were too loud for her; she couldn't stand it. It was hard. Then my uncle built a little house for her in the backyard. It's been great ever since. My aunts and uncles can visit her anytime. She has her own privacy; she can do anything she wants without the noises of the kids. She loves it. She invites her friends over a lot.
Additionally, my mom told me when she gets old, she will stay with my grandma and my other aunt together in one house. She doesn't want to stay with any of us, for we will have our own families. All we need to do is buy the house for her and visit her every other day or weekend.
I think it's better this way since it's hard for old and young generations to live together. Kids like noises. They wanna sing karaoke, jump around, dance, scream when they play games, and it's hard to do that when old people in the house. They will get yelled for making loud noises, and all the yelling will only make a gap between them, nothing else. Thus, they should live apart, but not too far away so the children can keep an eye on their old people. They can be there right away if something happens to them. Also, it's easier for children to visit their parents and grandparents if they're close by (they won't get lazy since "awww... it's so far away and I have blah blah blah").
authorityquery
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by authorityquery »

Yes I agree with you Lennye Tran. I think it's not comfortable for 2more generations in a house. Maybe when I get married, I'll try to buy another house near my parents house, so we can visit together everyday. Although the old ones have much experience, they can share for the young ones, but sometimes they don't understand young people, and they 'll blame or remind us about some mistakes continuosly, the result is younger easily get stress. The important thing is how we can take care of them well. And separating is a way to avoid conflict between generations, but we have to ensure that our relation is still good. No discrimination.
Thanks.
MTV i like most wanted
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

authorityquery wrote:Yes I agree with you Lennye Tran. I think it's not comfortable for 2more generations in a house. Maybe when I get married, I'll try to buy another house near my parents house, so we can visit together everyday.
This is what I will do. In fact, I and my cousins will all try to buy houses next to each other, so we won't be apart that far. If we can't, we will try to live about 5 or 10 minutes apart. Long distance really makes a difference in human's feelings, to me. I don't feel close to cousins who live far away from me. I know it sounds wrong, but I can't help it. Sometimes, it feels like my friends are closer to me than them.
authorityquery wrote:Although the old ones have much experience, they can share for the young ones, but sometimes they don't understand young people, and they 'll blame or remind us about some mistakes continuosly, the result is younger easily get stress. The important thing is how we can take care of them well. And separating is a way to avoid conflict between generations, but we have to ensure that our relation is still good. No discrimination.
Thanks.
Yeah, I got yelled once by my grandma for wearing a black bandana on my head. And I had to take it off because she didn't like it. Man, I was so pissed, but I couldn't say a word :roll: .
TearHere
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by TearHere »

i think it greatLy depends on the person..

as for me, culturally it is oK. :)
i mean, we have that sense of responsibility for our grand parents...

it was kind of instilled in us by our parents.. they brought us up with that belief..and i am very ok with living with my grandma or grandpa... on the other hand, it can have cons.. sometimes(or yet often?) you get scolded or yelled at..but i think it's a part of their aging process :lol:

after all, i owe them my parents-the world's greatest :wink:
When all else fails..don't stop.
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Should we have more than two generations in family?

Post by Annaa »

Mmmm I don`t konw,in my country the son that is the newest lives with his parents and his new family(wife and children).I live only with my mum,dad and brother,and I really don`t know if I could live with my grandfather and grandmother.But my brother need to live with my parents and his new family :lol: :lol: :-D .
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..