problem between friendship and money

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

nnhan

problem between friendship and money

Post by nnhan »

I have a friend who has studied with me for 3 years in highschool.
Last summer we went shopping to buy shirts for her and her boyfriend's birthday, but she didn't have enough money. Therefore I lent her some and she promised to pay me on the first semester after that summer. However, it has been one year and a haft since then, and she still didn't do what she promised although sometimes she herself mentioned about that. The money was not either little or much, but it was considerable for a student like me!
I don't know what I should do now. If I ask her about the money, to some extent, it may ruin our friendship. However, If I igonre this as I do up to now, I feel unpleasant.
Do you have any ideas about this?
illusion
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by illusion »

just tell your friend you need the money for something imporant and that's it. Be firm but don't treat it like something super important. But mark these words by William Shakespeare "Neither a borrower nor a lender be
For loan oft loseth both itself and friend.." :)
Shazzam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Shazzam »

You poor thing my mother lent some money to a friend a few months and she said she will never do it again; as she has only been able to get part of it back and the story keeps changing.

This is what I would do:

Tell your friend that you are so upset that you feel that your faith in them has been tested. That your friendship means the world to you but it mustn't to them because they have left you in this position. Ask for the money back within a reasonable period.

Quite frankly if you lose "the friendship" over that then it really isn't one. I mean for goodness sake you don't owe them the money they owe it to you. So who is right and who is wrong.

I think you have been more than patient.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: problem between friendship and money

Post by Dixie »

nnhan wrote: I don't know what I should do now. If I ask her about the money, to some extent, it may ruin our friendship. However, If I igonre this as I do up to now, I feel unpleasant.
Do you have any ideas about this?
That's happened to me many times, and it's a horrible feeling. You don't dare to ask them about your money because you don't wanna sound demanding or make them angry, but, darn, it's YOUR money, people should be more responsible. If I ever borrow money (which I try to avoid), or other stuff, say books or CDs, I can't sleep until I return them. I feel nervous all the time, it's like a burden I'm carrying and I know until I return the money I will feel that way. Why don't other people feel that way too?
zaman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by zaman »

i am lost a lot of my friends because borrow the money
hoanggia

HEARD OF THIS?

Post by hoanggia »

Have you guys ever heard of this," Never a borrower nor a lender be"?
so,if you wish for a long lasting relation ,please be brave to say "No" to your friends.It's also better to have a good excuse then.
Arale
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Arale »

Do you know this saying 'lend your money and lose your friend'? But money doesn't really matter. Perhaps your friend is now in need so she can't pay you back soon. Give her some time. Don't let money ruin your friendship!

_Arale_
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

Don't lend her anything more and remind her about the money many times.
Haha I have a friend selling drugs and I also lent him some money. As long as I still remember it's no problem.
sweethuman
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: problem between friendship and money

Post by sweethuman »

Actually in friendship we need to be very vigilant with the money expenditure among friends. we have to pay equally and even if we take any load so we should repay it back ASAP. Money is something that brings clashes, So we should cosider the importance of it in friendship