British VS American English which is better?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

tomnew

Re: British VS American English which is better?

Post by tomnew »

Yes, british is the original English speaker but I find slightly difference between the two. Accent, pronunciation and some spelling differ like summarise(GB English) - summarize(Am English). Both are better.
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by behnam »

Hi,

I personally prefer British Londoner accent. It sounds beautiful.

All the best,
Behnam, 2 April, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
keithsmith

Post by keithsmith »

American english is commonly used all over the world but in the other hand you are also right that the original speaker of english are British.
mahgoub

Post by mahgoub »

yahh yahh
AskSarah

Post by AskSarah »

Neither is better, because language is just a bunch of sounds put together that some people thought would be good for communication purposes. :lol:

The average American cannot understand foreigners at all if they do not attempt to speak with a standard American accent like one you would hear in the Midwest, or even large parts of Canada. I struggle very hard understanding Asian ESL speakers who use the British accent for English, so if you're going to be working in the states or with mostly Americans, go with American teachers.

There are some accents of English emerging that are almost becoming their own language. Those are the types of English teachers I would stay away from, that are going to teach you such a highly unique style of English that only one or two regions would understand you (for example, Welsh valley accent, Geordie accent, certain Irish & Scottish accents). When I was learning Korean, I wanted to learn the Seoul dialect that millions of people would understand, not the Pusan dialect or the Gwangju dialect - just as an example {-:
Need help for something big? PM me or visit my profile.
-Sarah from S2 Editing
JJFGpuc

Post by JJFGpuc »

I don't like to much British english, I always preffer American English. I think British it's too much polite, have other pronunciation and other words. When I heard a British people speaking, the first thing I imagine was a royal people, but when I heard an American didn't happend.
Also British is more easy for understand, they pronnunce better. It's like everyone everyone :)
JJFGpuc

Post by JJFGpuc »

I think the same as you Elba. British english have more pronunciation and stress syllables than American. At my school, they teached me British english and I didn't like to much. I prefer American. At university I take some subjects of American english and I like it.
When I heard british speakers I think in the royalty of England, and this is the reason because I prefer American English.

I'm from Chile, here whe have a very special type of spanish, we have lots of words wich you only understand if you are from Chile. But I love my country.
Cecilia

Post by Cecilia »

I believe, that any of them are better than other, only are different dialect, but for me a English learner is easier to understand and speak American English, but in the other hand British English is more beautiful have a different sound that make it more interesting…
englishttw

Post by englishttw »

I am English and I am going to say that both are equally good. They are just a little bit different. The most important thing is being clear and able to make yourself understood.
Marunos

Post by Marunos »

englishttw wrote:I am English and I am going to say that both are equally good. They are just a little bit different. The most important thing is being clear and able to make yourself understood.
I agree. The most important thing is to understand each other :) But I prefer British maybe because of the accent :P
amylee

Post by amylee »

Actually, I think American and British grammar are not that different. But most people prefer American English because it is more easy to speak. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_British_English
sylvia

Post by sylvia »

I absolutely hate American English, it seems its everywhere now and it simply drives me to distraction.
skystar

Post by skystar »

All languages and dialects are good. We can't say any language or dislect is better than the other. It's the same about accents. So both American and British English are good and if you live in a country that English is not your first language you can choose between theses two because both of them are perfect.
British and American English mostly differ in pronunciation.Sometimes, they may have different words for expressing the same meaning and sometimes the same words are used to express different meanings in these two accents.
mandrews

Post by mandrews »

Hi,

American English has many expressions/ terms/ words and even sayings that are not used in British English and vice versa.
Regarding the accent differences; both the General American and Standard British accents can be understood by a wide variety of non native English speakers, since they are very 'clear' (meaning they are devoid of various local accent influences and are therefore kept 'general'), so that anyone who speaks English with either one of those accents would have a 'non specific' geographical origin (ie, it would be hard to tell where that person is from)- other than that they have a 'general' American or a 'general/standard' British accent.

If you have any other accent related questions, please feel free to ask.

Michael Andrews
Dialect Coach
Michael Andrews -- I Help People Lose Their Accent --
Dialect Coach and Author of
’Learn the BRITISH ACCENT- FAST!’ and ’Learn the AMERICAN ACCENT- FAST!’
Click on my profile for more details and website address
davids

Post by davids »

There are numerous words that are spelt diversely in both types of English. A few cases are:

American English
1. Analyze
2. Color
3. Center
4. Anesthesia
5. Fulfill

British English
1. Analyse
2. Colour
3. Centre
4. Anaesthesia
5. Fulfil