Plastic bags and the environment

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, EC, Dixie

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Hardi » Fri May 02, 2008 7:21 am

In supermarkets they charge also here for bags. I mean when you need one then u can buy it. But many stores still but stuff into those small bags. It's easier when you buy 20 small pieces of goods. But when I buy a pair of socks then what good will that bag do? Beside that when I but them into same bag with fresh fish they get dirty without that bag.

Plastic bottles they will buy back there's deposit for each bottle. 1 Estonian kroon for bigger bottles and half for smaller. Those bottles they pulverise and make to granules that they export into china. Where Chinese make them into T shirts and export back to Europe.. Now what to do with old T-shirts? I guess the plastic bags are more difficult to recycle. For bottles there's a computer readable code on label that tells it's deposited. And they are probably known what type of plastic it is so they can easily recycle, but bags are all different and colored and...

I remember that there are invented organic equivalents for plastic bags, but I think they was to decompose little too quick. And they are expensive so less companies use them.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby MissLT » Sat May 03, 2008 2:03 am

Hardi wrote:
Plastic bottles they will buy back there's deposit for each bottle. 1 Estonian kroon for bigger bottles and half for smaller.

My grandma collects empty bottles and cans from our three houses, so she can give them to homeless people. Last time, one of them took the bottles and cans and her precious trash can away. Now she doesn't put the trash can outside anymore. She only puts it out when she's outside guarding it while they take the bottles and cans away. :lol: :lol:

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Hardi » Sat May 03, 2008 7:24 am

LennyeTran wrote:
Hardi wrote:
Plastic bottles they will buy back there's deposit for each bottle. 1 Estonian kroon for bigger bottles and half for smaller.

My grandma collects empty bottles and cans from our three houses, so she can give them to homeless people. Last time, one of them took the bottles and cans and her precious trash can away. Now she doesn't put the trash can outside anymore. She only puts it out when she's outside guarding it while they take the bottles and cans away. :lol: :lol:

Homeless people were upset here, when they added deposit to plastic bottles. Because before it wasn't profitable to bring them back to supermarket, so people did drop them to garbage can where homeless could dig them. Now people carry those huge bags with empty bottles to supermarket to get own money back. The stupid thing is that u can't compress them to small, because the machine can't read them if they're smashed. So I guess some people still drop them to garbage can.

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby MissLT » Tue May 27, 2008 6:46 pm

Hardi wrote:
LennyeTran wrote:
Hardi wrote:
Plastic bottles they will buy back there's deposit for each bottle. 1 Estonian kroon for bigger bottles and half for smaller.

My grandma collects empty bottles and cans from our three houses, so she can give them to homeless people. Last time, one of them took the bottles and cans and her precious trash can away. Now she doesn't put the trash can outside anymore. She only puts it out when she's outside guarding it while they take the bottles and cans away. :lol: :lol:

Homeless people were upset here, when they added deposit to plastic bottles. Because before it wasn't profitable to bring them back to supermarket, so people did drop them to garbage can where homeless could dig them. Now people carry those huge bags with empty bottles to supermarket to get own money back. The stupid thing is that u can't compress them to small, because the machine can't read them if they're smashed. So I guess some people still drop them to garbage can.

People still do this. You don't bring an empty soda can or water bottle back to the place just to get 5 cents out of it, do you? In my town, they put some recycle trash cans on the street, so people can throw recycle things in them. I quite like the idea since I've seen too many old people have a hard time digging around for empty cans/bottles in regular trash cans.

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Hardi » Tue May 27, 2008 7:56 pm

Yes 5 cents in U.S.A money are little 0.5 l bottles. Bigger ones are 10! :mrgreen:

We have recycle trash cans too in some places in street, but they are often full and there isn't enough of them.

There is a empty tare receiving point in store near to my place. And when it have lunch break. Then people who come with big bags, full of plastic bottles, they just trow those bags with bottles nearest trash can next to the store. So there's always some dirty looking kids with terrible mouth/language around, that just looking for those bottles. Or just ready to steal your bags with empty bottles, if you take eye off from them..

User avatar
MissLT
Ethereal Member
Posts: 3939
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:05 pm
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby MissLT » Sat May 31, 2008 11:54 pm

Hardi wrote:Yes 5 cents in U.S.A money are little 0.5 l bottles. Bigger ones are 10! :mrgreen:

Amazing how people can get rich by doing this. I saw one documentary about a Vietnamese family in the States who go around collecting empty bottles and cans and eventually build their own million-dollar business out of this. Trash for us is money for them. :!!:

We have recycle trash cans too in some places in street, but they are often full and there isn't enough of them.

Hardi wrote:There is a empty tare receiving point in store near to my place. And when it have lunch break. Then people who come with big bags, full of plastic bottles, they just trow those bags with bottles nearest trash can next to the store. So there's always some dirty looking kids with terrible mouth/language around, that just looking for those bottles. Or just ready to steal your bags with empty bottles, if you take eye off from them..

Here we have old people with good manners and little to no English. Last time, one old lady walked by me and pointed to the empty water bottle I was holding and said, "yes?" I said, "yes!" And that was all to understand. :mrgreen:

STUD
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby STUD » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:10 am

plastic bag are always harmful for environment

one nice thing which recently I saw was the bouncers aren't harmful to the environment..

atleast a couple of them which are made of good material..

you may find an inflatable bouncer for rent near you by using the rental finder tool on http://www.bouncerland.com/ . Those guys have a pretty good database of rental services, and i found one for myself very quick.

hazel
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby hazel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:39 pm

We think plastic bags should be changed to paper bags because they pollute the enviroment. We think :idea: that if the supermarkets got money for plastic bags, people wouldn´t throw them and they would save them for another time.
Also we think in Europe the supermarkets got money for plastics bags. In Spain the plastic bags are free and it should change. :oops:
In our opinion plastic bags should be made of biodegradables materials because they don´t pollute.
People must go shopping with a sopping trolley to don´t use plastic bags and they must put into the shopping trolley the products.

hazel
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby hazel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:40 pm

· We think that important factories should change plastic bags for paper or hemp bags. {-;
· Plastic bags are contaminants because they are difficult to destroy. :mrgreen:
· The enviroment is contaminated by plastic bags because factories throw them into the rivers. :-x

hazel
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby hazel » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:41 pm

Hello! our opinions about plastic bags are: :mrgreen:
They should change plastic bags because the environment is polluted by the plastic of the plastic bags.
If we could change something to avoid the climate change I would change the plastic bags to paper bags.
Plastic bags are made of polluting products
A disadvantage of plastic bags is that they always pollute the nature
Plastic bags, that contaminate, can kill a lot of vegetation or animals
In the future I might eliminate the plastic bags ;-)

2 spanish students! :roll:

hazel
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby hazel » Mon May 04, 2009 6:15 pm

In my opinion the plastic bags are bad because are made of plastic which are from the petrol.
The supermarked use a lot and people throw them into enviroment, this rubbish is very resistant and doesn't disappear.
We can use paper bags and after recycle them but the paper bags aren't resistant and break.
We could recycle the plastic bags and shouldn't throw them into the enviroment.

:mrgreen:

hazel
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:42 am
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby hazel » Mon May 04, 2009 6:17 pm

plastics bags are due to plastic
:evil: we should make plastic bags because the other bags are less resistent
:prof: the greenhouse effect is good in a little part because the co2 retains a part of the heat caused by the sun
:geek: the green peace people say that it is very bad but in a little part is good because of this they are wrong
the plastic bags are more rresistent than the paper bags and we don´tcut down the trees and for the fabric bags we need to take products of animals and because of this the plastic bAgS ArE GOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!
the plastics bags are bad because if you put it onyour head you can´t breath

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Tora » Thu May 07, 2009 4:07 am

I hope the buddy above is ok though he's practising making experiments with breathing with a head stuck in a plastic bag still...

A single voice for paper bags - doesn't matter they are less resisitent - recycling can solve the problem without cutting trees actually - it's easier to recycle paper than plastic, by the way, where do you live in? Because here I don't know any present for the recycling - just future plans, moreover - here the government is planning to build 6 litter-burning plants. Absolutely preposterous idea in a 12+ million citizen city...

Hardi
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:44 pm
Status: Other
Location: European Union

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Hardi » Mon May 11, 2009 10:07 pm

I have heard that actually it could be possible to produce biodegradable plastics and etc with same price that used for petroleum-based plastics. But it's stick in technology everything is oriented to produce petroleum-based plastic and it would be too trouble some to switch.

Well I don't know if it's true. I only know there can buy biodegradable plastics bags for garbage or dog's poop, but they seems little more expensive.

There seems more information in wikipedia about it, but I didn't read it through, because I'm too tired.. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodegradable_plastic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bioplastic

rowenalee
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby rowenalee » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:24 am

I hope that all markets will get rid of using plastic bags instead they have to use paper bags or they should provide rattan baskets to every customers. In this way we could protect our planet earth from potential damage and further global warming.

benhur
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby benhur » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:10 pm

The government should have a specific law to forbid plastic bags to be used.

User avatar
Tora
Rough Diamond Member
Posts: 1156
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 pm
Status: Other
Location: Moscow

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby Tora » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:39 pm

rowenalee wrote:I hope that all markets will get rid of using plastic bags instead they have to use paper bags or they should provide rattan baskets to every customers. In this way we could protect our planet earth from potential damage and further global warming.


Paper is made of trees, there are no enough trees for every Earth-inhabitant's purchases :-(

netsem
Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:51 pm
Status: Other

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby netsem » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Plastic bags are very harmful on environment. It is also bad for mankind. There is not reuse of these products. That's why some governments are making ban for using of plastic bags.

deakce
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby deakce » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 am

netsem wrote:Plastic bags are very harmful on environment. It is also bad for mankind. There is not reuse of these products. That's why some governments are making ban for using of plastic bags.


Benefits would be:

Cleaner air. Because plastic is burning toxins.

Less flood. Because bags are clogging up sewer systems

TutorVanessa
Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm
Status: English Teacher

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby TutorVanessa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Agreed. Plastic bags are really bad for the environment! It should have never been invented..

There are many alternatives to using plastic bags.

Here's something interesting for you: A plastic garbage patch floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean

It's real!!

__________________________
English Tutor in Victoria, BC
Your source for language and academic needs.

deakce
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:56 am
Status: English Learner

Re: Plastic bags and the environment

Postby deakce » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks, That's really interesting for me...
Now it's for you: ziplock plastic bags


Return to “General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests