Language learning tool

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, Krisi, Dixie, EC

deepthings

Language learning tool

Post by deepthings » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:01 am

I work for a London-based charity and I'm hoping to develop a free translation practice tool. It will be an educational device giving people a multiple choice interface to translate prescribed letters from english into spanish and portuguese (more languages might come later) and vice-versa. It would likely
give a letter in English (or other language) with a sentence-by-sentence series of questions and options that the user must complete to finally translate it according to a pre-ordained translation.

Does anyone have any views or info on:

- how useful this could be
- for whom
- what platforms might benefit from it
- what features you would like to see
- where you have seen something similar before, etc.?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't see another place and I felt like this community could benefit from or guide this project very successfully.

Many thanks!
Matt

Rui
Gold Member

Re: Language learning tool

Post by Rui » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:37 pm

well, it seems to me a good idea. although im not getting how you would create the huge database necessary to put that working properly, and by the way isnt that something like what you can find on google? they have a quite useful tool that allows you to type the sentence or copy it from any other program and translate it to a vast lits of languages, of course that the translation is not perfect but at least gives you the chance to understand the meaning or the general idea of each sentence.

deepthings

Re: Language learning tool

Post by deepthings » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:09 am

Hi and thanks for your reply.

I should have been more clear. This tool is educational in that it actually asks users to translate each sentence themselves (in a limited way). So they will be given a letter, divided into sentences, or with particular areas highlighted, and be asked multiple choice questions on different parts of the letter.

For example:

Sentence 1:

"Dear Sir,

I am seeking accommodation in any part of Madrid"

The tool would then present any one of a number of questions e.g a multiple choice selection between "Buscar, Busco and Buscamos", to begin the translation of the first sentence (if this were a Spanish translation).
The application would then verify that the correct translation has been made.

It would be much more clearly presented than that, but the point is educational rather than translational.

Thanks,
Matt