GRE, GMAT, SAT

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

GRE, GMAT, SAT

Post by Vega »

Have you ever taken an exam on the above tests?
What was the result?
What books did you use to prepare?

I failed the exam yesterday :-? ..mainly because I was using a wrong book to prepare. The questions on the test day were about 20% similar to ones I expected..too pity.
Anyway, the next exam will be in July, so I have some time to prepare properly.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: GRE, GMAT, SAT

Post by Dixie »

Are those English exams, Xkalibur? I have never heard of them (unless they have a different name here).
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

Dixie wrote:Are those English exams, Xkalibur? I have never heard of them (unless they have a different name here).
GRE - Graduate Record Examination
GMAT - Graduate Management Admission Test
SAT -Scholastic Aptitude Test and Scholastic Assessment Test

All of them are standardised tests desined to define ones abilities in Critical Reasoning, Quantative Reasoning, Math, etc.
You might encounter them when apply to MBA, different programs, or in organizations..
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Aha... I had no idea.
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

I think you meant you got a very low score on one of these exams instead of failing because you can't fail these exams. Schools look at the scores of these exams as one of a ways to weed out the "weaklings". Usually, low score means low chance to get in the school. However, it's not always the case.

I took my SATs in my high school, one in my junior year and one in my senior year. I got a 900 in the first time and 1000 in the second time, which was low compared to my cousins who got 1200-1300. I later applied for college and still got in even though my SAT's was low because my GPA was good and my cousin wrote my personal essay for me :lol: . She writes very well.

My cousin took her GRE for her grad school last summer. She told me the score but for the life of me I can't remember it now. All I can remember is she said the score was low. Still they accepted her into the program after a personal interview with her.

My point is that you can always study for these exams if you wish, yet the score is not the only thing you'll get accept in the school you're trying apply. Your overal achievement, personal essay, one-on-one interview, etc. can also determine your admission. Try your best. Get a score in the range they require and don't forget to polish your other things also.
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

MissLT wrote:I think you meant you got a very low score on one of these exams instead of failing because you can't fail these exams. Schools look at the scores of these exams as one of a ways to weed out the "weaklings". Usually, low score means low chance to get in the school. However, it's not always the case.
Yes, I received very low score. I was trying to apply to internship programs for an oil company. Hopefully, I didn't have to compose essay. :-) ..There were 40 questions in the questionaire and 1 hour to answer them. It was a combination of the above tests..
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

They usually tell you exactly what they want from you, even what kinda test you will take so you can find a study guide. I find it strange that you don't know if you need to submit a personal essay or not. And are you sure the test was a combination of those tests? I never heard of something like this, for three tests are different in their own way. SAT is for college admission. GRE and GMAT are for grad schools. Just like MCAT is for medical schools and LSAT is for law schools. Et cetera. They all have their own study guide you can buy either online or at a bookstore.
netsem

Post by netsem »

I was applied for the exam but i had the readymade materialls provided by my tutor. No idea from when he got the same.