Let's learn together!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Mushaf

Re: Let's learn together!

Post by Mushaf »

hi Behnam
thanks for checking my answers. i am so much happy to know that all of my answers are correct :)
winters will arrive in october or november. here its still hot summer days . after winter autumn will arrive then spring in march
we have summers for more then 4 months .
God bless you always
18 September 2014
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi hurrieh
your English is very good .
Thanks for your explanation. i got it .
yes sure i will always be active on this thread. i love this thread. its really nice to come here . i always come here to check whats going on here. sometimes i don't write because i have nothing to say and my English is not that much good to help others so i silently read members messages here and leave but now i will try to post something about English in coming days .

take care
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi dear Behnam

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Behnam,

I'm really chuffed and pleased to see your post after a few days. It's long since we heard from you. How are you and your nice family? specially apples of your eye??? How are getting on with your job?
Dear Behnam, We well know how much you must have been busy these days. But it's not an acceptable excuse. Since nobody could deny your hyperactivity and hardworking. What has happened to your hospitality? :?: :-(
This is your thread and we are your guests here. you well know, the lecturer should motivate his/her audiences.. {-; .. Your absences was quite obvious, since no one could fill your shoes in this thread. you are greatly missed. Kindly remember your friends by immediately responding to my post.

Warm Regards,
Hurieh
Sep 19th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear mushaf

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear mushaf,

How are you doing? thanks for your updating. Your English is good. I'm not exagerating at all. I really enjoy reading your posts.
My friends and I are impatiently looking forward to seeing your nice post.I'm a bit busy these days but will try to set a new post in upcoming days.

With best wishes.
Hurieh
Sep 19th/14
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

How are you? I hope you are doing well and enjoying your life. So many thanks for participating in posting useful posts in this thread. You are making this thread one of the bests in the world. I am following all the posts regularly. I read them carefully. Although I am busy these days, it doesn't mean I am not visiting the thread and not reading the posts. I dislike to say 'I am busy', since I believe we are number one in the world, when it comes to killing time. We don't manage our time, that's why we are busy all the time. Amazingly, we are busy all the time, but we are doing nothing! We don't spend our time effectively. On the buses, trains, stations, etc.you see people are either staring at some points in front of themselves or frowning at others for no reasons, or playing with mobile phones and tablets! Nobody reads book or even newspaper! Little by little, people will become illiterate! They are killing time easily. I hate killing my time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In this semester, I have to teach three subjects. Two of them are in my field of study, so I don't need any preparation for them. However, one of them is beyond my field of study. In other words, it is related to another field, and I am teaching it for the first time in my teaching life. I have to make notes for the lectures. It takes me a lot of time. LOL

About hospitality, you are not a guest anymore, honestly speaking! {-: You are one of the owners of the thread. However, that is very kind of you to think of me as axis of the thread. Your words are so sweet. Your kindness is so nice. Thank you very much!

Your writing is very well. We are all learning from you. I am personally learning from you many things. When the Sun rises, the stars disappear! That's another reason for my absence. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dear Hurieh, please keep on being with us. My presence may fluctuate from time to time, but I'll never leave this place willingly. Therefore, I can easily assure you that I would welcome your posts with open arms all the time; as long as I am alive and this thread is active! :lol:

Hope to read more from you.

All the best,
Behnam, 19 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(job)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

Please consider these collocations:

apply for a job - get a job - hold down a job - look for a job - lose your job - a challenging job - a boring job - a rewarding job - a responsible job - a stressful job - the perks of the job - the pressure of the job - qualifications for the job - a job involves - a job requires - job satisfaction - a job demands - job security - a full-time/part-time/temporary/permanent job

Now complete the sentences with the correct form of the above expressions:

1) Ali had better be careful. If he's late for work again, he might .......... his job.
2) I've been .......... for a job for 3 months, but I haven't had much success so far.
3) I've .......... for a job with a company in Tehran. The interview is next week.
4) Ali left after only a week. he never manages to ......... down a job for long.
5) I finally ......... a temporary job, washing dishes in a hotel, but it's only for a month.
6) I don't think teachers are paid enough for doing such a .......... job.
7) Pilots are well-paid, but it's a very .......... job. I'd rather have my health.
8) Helping sick people is very satisfying. For me, it's a very .......... job.
9) Her job is so routine that she hates it. Filling papers all day is such a .......... job.
10) The job isn't .......... enough for her. She wants something more creative.
11) I get five free flights a year. It's one of the .......... of the job.
12) Well, there's no doubt that you've got the right .......... for the job, but your lack of experience might count against you.
13) He resigned when he realised that the .......... of the job were making him ill.
14) While studying at university I also had a .......... job in a supermarket.
15) This job .......... good mental skills.
16) The job .......... good eyesight and a high level of concentration.
17) Lots of people are more interested in job .......... than earning high salaries.
18) There's no job .......... in acting. You are only employed for short periods of time.
19) After years of .......... employment he landed a .......... job with a local newspaper .
20) What exactly does the job entail? Does it .......... a lot of paperwork?

Thank you for following the thread and posts. Please participate actively in answering questions and posting things about English that help the learners with improving their English skills. Good luck with practicing! You should bear in mind for always that your participation in the thread motivates us to continue our activities. This is what my two old friends Elham and Setayesh are expected to know!!! }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }:

All the best,
Behnam, 19 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

Thanks behnam for your questions
1. Lose
2. Looking
3. applied
4. hold
5. get
6. responsible
7. stressful
8. satisfying
9. boring
10. challenging
11. perks
12. qualification
13. pressure
14. part time
15. requires
16. demands
17. security
18. permanent
19. temporary full time
20. involve
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

Hi Hurieh
Thanks for your kind words
your appreciation is a source of motivation for me .
hope everything is fine at your side
take care
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

DO, GO, PLAY...Which one?

Post by Hurieh »

Hi my friends,

I'm here with a new post. This post is exclusively for you, specially my dear Mushaf who is more active in learning...
In this post we'll learn the usage of different verbs for activities and exercise.

###################################################################################
Do is usually used for recreational activities or non team sports that don't need a ball. (yoga, aerobics, exercise ,...)

:ok: I usually do yoga.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
GO is usually used by activities that end in ing.(diving, hiking, bowling, skating, dancing, ...)

:ok: I often go bowling.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PLAY is usually used by ball sports or competitive activities. (footbal, basketball, cricket, ...)

:ok: I rarely play badminton.
##################################################################################

Break a leg and do your best with practising.

Hurieh
Sep 20th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:Dear Behnam...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Behnam,

My sincere gratitude to you for your consideration and encouraging letter. Your analogy was quite unfair and exaggerating, since your highlighted presence and shiness in this thread are completely undeniable, and so do our friends. {-;
I won't put myself in the trouble of praising you, this thread and it's members anymore... Because it's like trying to prove an evident fact or formula.
On the one hand, I'm not as subtle as you to elaborate my thoughts in such nice and plain statements extemporaneously. On the other hand, this thread has the highest rates of viewers that proves it's popularity....This is not weird at all,because it's administrator is such an energetic man who truely deserves to be called as PLATINUM MEMBER or whatever...

wish all the best for you in your favorite season...Do try to enjoy every moment of it.

Hurieh
sep 20th/14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi Hureih
Thank you so much for your motivating words and remembering me .
Thanks for your useful posts . They are really helpful.
Well what i like most in your post is the stress upon practicing . i think language can only be learn through practice and determination which probably i am lacking but i will try to be determine like you. learning a new language is a slow and gradual process. it needs time and lots of patience.

thanks
take care always :)
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elham »

Hiiiiii Hurie,

I'm back.Actually we came back from the trip last week on Thursday,but I didn't find a good chance to write post till now. How are you honey? I follow your posts and really enjoy your English writing talent. You know, it's one of my interests to know different words and apply them in my speaking or writing, not only in English but also in Farsi...I'm excited when I come across a new interesting word or expression with which I can express my thoughts and feelings differently. I like it when I see you have a good knowledge of words and use various of them in different sentences.

How do you practice English? and how have you survived it? :-D Unfortunately, I've lost my English.It's an emergency for me to save my English...I wanted to ask you to have chat with each other, but if we chat I'm sure I stop writing here to you and lose this great chance to improve my English...so we continue here.. {-;

You are a nurse, right? I congratulate you on it! That is one of the best jobs in the world. It's hard, I know, but taking care of other people can really be pleasing. I love the jobs in which one can have straight relation with people and benefit them.What's your own opinion? How do you like being a nurse? What do you like or dislike about it? I'm eager to know about your experience as a nurse.

waiting to read from you,
kiss,

Eli
Mohsen
Top Contributor
Top Contributor
Location: No.7,Charso lane,walk down,You’ll arrive to the garden of sense,Naghshejahan square,Esfahan,Iran

Post by Mohsen »

Hi Behnam,
Thanks for your answer , in fact you are a key for every problem ,a light for every shadow, a relief for every sorrow & a plan for every tomorrow. Yes we should remove the uncomfortable shoes .this is logic.
But the problem is that when we speak about feeling ,love , emotion ,there is no place for logic , they are opposite, the logic base on division , feeling needs two sides. Furthermore the woman has no special borders, she wants both God and the date. She loves her husband and her job as well ,the laugh and cry,the man loves his children in a way that he wants to devote his life for children, he can’t imagine not to see them even for one day, the children are both girls ,furthermore the woman is good-tempered and well behaved when I speak with her , but my friend says the she is mischievous as well as her parents , when they speak with other people the are well-tempered ,but they show their real face at home.
I think my friend is ineffective in his life ,and really cool as cucumber ,but he can’t deal with a hot potato.
Dear Behnam I going for a two weeks trip , I will pray for you , please forgive me for every disturbance I made

Good luck
Mohsen
Mustafa Mohseni Isfahani
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear mushaf...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear mushaf,

What are you up to these days? Long time no see. I wonder why you are so quiet while your English is good. please don't hesitate to write for us. I realy love your posts.

Dear Mushaf, these days I was thinking about your last post about learning English. you are ABSOLUTELY right. Learning English is an ongoing and continuous process. Aside from the practising, there are other factors that play important roles in this category. In general, to achieve every accomplishment we should have a clear plan that indicates our goal and destination. After making a plan we should consider a deadline that determines the expected time to reach to our goal. Then we should follow our goal based on our organized plan.
You know, almost all people know the importance of planing but they rarely implement it and write it down on a paper. I usually keep arround a notebook and clock during studying and compute the mean (average) of the hours I study per day. Surprisingly, It shows I just spend 1-2 hours/day studying efficiently...
dear mushaf, another problem that majority of us have whilst studying and may happen unconsciuosly is lack of concentration. Before using our mind for studying we should make it ready. Doing intellectual affairs when our mind is tired or in case of lack of glocose (the fuel of brain) not only spoils thinking and learning process, but also may cause some cognitive disease in elderly such as demantia.( That's why I don't study too much... {-; ). Tirness could have negative effects on learning by affecting on concentration . To send data from short-term memory to long-term memory two factors are more important. First item is having enough concentration and readiness and second one is classifying and categorizing data by drawing charts, shapes, so on. without enough concentration we can't learn effectively..Although some people claim our mind is capable to learn things unconsciously ( for instance, listening to a music during sleeping ) but nobody guarantees it's accuracy and quality. Since everything that has been achieved easily, would be lost easily. This is my slogan that " Quality is much more important than Quantity).
Let me tell you my personal experience that forced me to learn how to concentrate deeply..I've been living in a quite big house. But it only has two rooms. one of them is close to the street and another one is beside the living room and TV set. I always had problem with studying because of the noise. The more I read, the more I felt exhausted. Because I couldn't learn anything. But step by step, I learned how to concentrate deeply. It might seem weird, but I can't learn anything in quiet places. Noisy places help me focus on the topic very well and learn things easily and quickly...Sometimes I drown myself in studying as deep that experts lifeguard can't take me out... {-:
Dear friend, I can write for you for several hours. But I'm afraid I'm running short of time. I also have to answer Elham's post. Anyways, those statements were my personal experience. You can write your ideas and strategies in studying even in contrast to my ideas. I like controversial discussions, since they let me learn different ideas.

Sincere best wishes,
Hurieh
Sep 22nd/ 14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Elham,

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Elham,

Welcome back. You were greatly missed darling. What was your trip like? Did you enjoy it? What did you buy as souvenir ? :?: {-; :!: I don't know how much you are interested in buying souvenir!!! But what I like best about traveling is buying different things. I hardly buy anything for myself on my trips, because I wanna have enough time and currency ( {-; ) to buy for others who aren't with me on my trip and make them happy. It shows them I was thinking of them during the trip especially religous cities such as holy Mashhad. Since I'm subtle and familiar with everyone's taste, I could make them satisfied with my own gifts. {-; .. But in contrary, I don't expect anything in return..Because of my different taste and sensivity in buying things. Other's gifts hardly suit my taste. {-; ..
well, you asked me about my strategy in learning English and also my major. these two topics are too general. I can write about them for several hours. Let's put it off to another time. I'll explain them with details as soon as I get a chance. Dear Elham, believe it or not your English is excellent. I like your posts specially the way you use grammatical tips.
You mentioned that you wanna chat with me. It's really nice of you. I also like to get acquainted to you more and more and even visit you in real world, face to face. Who knows. It might happen. :!: Since I love my Isfahani friends. They are SO kind and easygoing. please keep writing for me. I'm dying to hear from you.

Yours ever,
Hurieh
Sep 22nd/ 14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

is it correct to write
since when you have been living in Australia ?
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

Hi Hurrieh
Thanks for your kind words. your motivation means a lot to me .
You are really an intelligent girl. The way you defined the whole process of planing is remarkable. I totally agree with you that quality matter more then quantity. i agree with every aspect of your post. its very important to have ones brain on the task instead of thinking something else while reading . its important to set short term goals and to devise strategy to achieve them. your post was really informative to read. and i think one of the biggest enemy of time is procrastination
take care
have a nice day
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Thanks Mushaf!

Post by behnam »

Hi Mushaf,

So many thanks for completing the questions. All your answers are correct except one of them. I am sure you have known the answer, but maybe you have been in a rush! That's OK!

5) I finally got a temporary job, washing dishes in a hotel, but it's only for a month.

The action of finding the job has been started in the past and finished. Therefore, we have to use the past simple tense. It's no big deal. Don't worry! Your English is excellent.

All the best,
Behnam, 22 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi again!

Post by behnam »

Hi again Mushaf,

About your question 'since when have you been living in Australia?', the structure seems OK, but I'm afraid the meaning is not what you mean! As far as I know, 'since when?' used in questions to show that you are very surprised or angry. It doesn't ask for the duration of time. I think you should ask 'How long have you been living in Australia?". If you are interested in knowing the exact arrival time, it is better to ask 'When exactly did you arrive in Australia?' The person may reply "It was night...!" Funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a challenging situation! If I were you, I'd ask "What was your arrival date in Australia?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Hurieh!

Post by behnam »

Hi Hurieh,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well. Thanks for your wonderful posts and positive words. :lol:

You are very kind and your kindness is sweet! You are taking-and melting- the hearts of the girls in the thread, let alone the heart of an emotional men like me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please keep on writing and challenging. I love challenging things very much. {-:

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi Mohsen!

Post by behnam »

Dear Mohsen,

So many thanks for your positive words about me. That's very kind of you. You are exaggerating, thank you very much anyway.

About that two-faced lady and other two-faced people I will write something when you are back from the trip. Just inform me when you are at home. I've got something to share with you about two-faced ladies. Being two-faced is bad, but it is disgusting when women behave insincerely! This means something dangerous! God forbid! If I were the guy of the story, I would not stand that lady even for one second! You might not believe it, but in my opinion, a two-faced lady easily leaves the....to the cats! {-: {-: {-: :lol: {-: {-: {-:

Have a nice trip!

All the best,
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Warm-blood Hurieh

Post by Elham »

Dear Huriehhhhhhh,

You know what? Your warm blood has captured my heart {-;
I can't wait to chat with you in person...my Skype id is: Elham.andishe....it would be so kind of you if you accept my invitation to chatting. In fact, I don't wanna lose the chance of writing in English to you in the thread, but I'm sure we can have lovely girlish talk, words that should be said in privet {-; {-:

About the trip, It was just perfect. Although it was a short 3-day trip,thankfully we enjoyed every minute of it. On one hand, my love for Emam Reza's shrine, on the other hand the companions made the trip both soul-lifting and enjoyable to me.
I do love holy shrines, specially Emam Reza's. As you know such places is filled with positive energy...and since I firmly believe in energy and its effects on our souls,when I go to such places I just let my spirit free... I forget myself and immerse in the peace see...I just sit and let my energy entrances open....oh thank god... I really needed such flow of energy to my Chakras...
My cousins were with us. We really enjoyed ourselves, laughed a lot and had a great deal of fun. One of the fun things we did was to look at the spouses and decide if they match or not! :roll: There were many young romantic couples and interestingly in almost all cases, the boy and girl were very alike... as if they were created for each other...we tried to find our alike mates too, but unfortunately ours were not there in Mashhad...hahaha... :lol:

About Souvenir, emmm, as you know I'm an Esfahani...soooooo... {-; {-; {-;
I'm kidding. You.You should know I'm from Najaf Abad. Have you ever heard of Najaf Abad? The city of Ayatollah Montazeri?! I don't consider my self Esfahani , although I love Esfahan. Have you ever been to Esfahan? It's a really lovely city. But there are some features its people are known with, which I don't like... anyway, we bought souvenir for my dad, sister and brother-in-law who were not with us and my little cute cousin...To be honest, I love to buy things for myself while on trip... I'm sure in every new place there's sth that can't be found in my own city :roll: I bought some very beautiful clothes..I love shopping on trip :-D

That's enough for tonight...
Waiting eagerly for your coming posts... and also for chatting with you honey...

B.W.
Eli
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: TO Dear Behnam...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Behnam,

Thanks for your nice and encouraging words. Infact your words persuade or even tempt me to write on this thread more and more.
In response to the second part of your letter (about my friend's heart) I have to tell you something frankly. I didn't melt their hearts since they've already captivated my heart by their kindness and sincerity . I've found a special feeling to this thread and my virtual friends that I can't explain it anymore. Something like a power, gravity or magnet that absorbs my attention to this direction.
And in response to your last sentence of that paragraph about your heart , I'm afraid I can't do anymore for two reasons. First: I'm not familiar with men's nature at all. Second: My heart has already been captured by the girls of your thread.. {-; I might be forgetful, but I'm not fair weather friend at all specially when my friends need a shoulder to cry.
However, I don't like you feel we are divided to two wings.. :-( }: ..I don't know exactly what we should do.. :!: :?: .. But you are the administrator of this thread and authorized. You could set some rules to change the feministic atmosphere of your thread. We'll obey you without any complain. {-;

sincere grateful,
Hurieh
Sep 23rd/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:To Dear Elham...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Elham,

I'm really glad to hear you had such lovely and enjoyable trip, especially to holy shrine of Imam Reza (as). We have alot in common. I also DO love Imam Reza's holy shrine. I have to visit there at least once a year. However, I always feel this is the first time I've visited there and have missed Imam Reza (as) too much.
But I'm sure it's a common feeling that all pilgrims should have had to the kingdom of hearts. I just can say " LUCKY YOU".
Dear Elham, It's a shame I'm not good at geography of my country and don't know where Najaf Abad is located exactly.. :oops: :-( .. But don't worry about what other people say about Isfahani people. Since I consider myself a Shirazi girl who has lived in Yazd and has drunk water of ISFAHAN. ;-) {-; {-:
Dear friend, so many thanks for your invitation. You are SO kind and easygoing as I guessed before. You must have got several good traits that I'll find in you step by step. But I'm afraid I can't have live chat to you or anybody else these days for some reasons. :oops: .. I don't have any account there and my English isn't also that good that you think my darling. I ask your pardon for this. I hope I could get in touch with you more and more. I'll write a post exclusively for you about nursing in coming days. Don't forget to write for me as much as you can. I'm waiting for you and your nice posts.

warm regards,
hurieh
Sep 23rd/14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi Behnam
Thank you so much for checking my answers.
Thank you for you answer for my question. yes you got it right i wanted to ask the tenure of the person living in Australia. thank you for correcting my sentence . you are really very nice.

take care
best wishes
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Elham!

Post by Hurieh »

Dear Elham,
Hi
How are you??? I wanna introduce my major to you.I hope you'll like it.
Everyone may consider nursing as a rewarding occupation. But only a nurse knows how much this job is stressful, challenging, difficult so on. You must be a nurse to understand and qualify the intensity of it's pressure and turmoil.
Nursing is both interesting and stressful to me. I like it's teorical aspect not practical. But unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) these two parts have tight links to eachother in nursing that are inseparable. When it comes to Critical Cares Nursing, even gets worse. Since you are supposed to take care of seriously ill and unconscious patients in an environment full of strange and invasive apparatus, wires and machines, agitated and nervous families, tears , tension, death so on.
Dear Elham, pardon me please. I didn't mean to make you feel sad or inconvenient. I won't describe it's turmoils anymore, since I know you may feel upset. I could write several books about this major. Since I consider it as an ocean. Nurses should have expanded knowledge to be able to take care of different patients in different situations and units.
I believe nursing isn't a suitable job for women. Since it demands some qualifications such as mental, physical and emotional stability and integrity. I mean you should be strong enough (or even a bit cruel :evil: ) to grin and bear it's burdens. This might be a reason that some nurses may seem a bit bad tempered or stony hearted. Even a male nurse may run into problem in this job. Since we are all human and can't tolerate eachother's pain, problem so on. The pressure of the job will become more serious and intolerable when you've been drawn to the patient's familial problems such as disability, poverty so on, unintentionally. However, you can't do anything to help them and will feel depressed, frustrated, whatnot.
You might ask why I didn't cut out this major sooner. You know, medical majors have some restrictions that don't let you quit easily. (something like military service for boys ).

BUT nursing isn't always that horrible and terrific that I depicted. You can also find beams of hope and beauty in it. When you soothen a person's pain by your good care, or help a newborn to open his/her eyes at this world you will feel real satisfaction.

Regards,
Hurieh
Sep 24th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Phrasal verbs with Keep

Post by Hurieh »

The phrasal verbs with "keep" is listed below . Check it out please.
===================================================================================

KEEP AROUND = keep s.th near you

I have no idea why they keep around this piece of junk. They'll never use it.
@@@

KEEP AT = continue with something (usually difficult)

Jill kept at the puzzle until she put all the pieces together.
@@@

KEEP AWAY = prevent from gaining access; Don't allow someone near something

Medicines should always be kept away from children.
@@@

KEEP BACK = maintain a safe distance

The police kept back the crowd by blocking off the street.
@@@

KEEP DOWN
= A. not vomit B. repress or muffle

A. Did she keep down the soup? No, she hasn't kept anything down for two days.
B. Keep down the noise, will you? I'm trying to sleep.

@@@

KEEP FROM = refrain from doing=control yourself

I couldn't keep myself from eating the last piece of cake.
@@@

KEEP IN = not allow out

She kept him in because he had a high temperature.
@@@

KEEP OFF = A. not walk on something B. not talk about something

A. There was a sign posted at the courthouse that read; keep off the grass!
B. The reporter kept off any the topic of the recent scandal with the politician.

@@@

KEEP ON = continue

Let's keep on hiking... it's such a beautiful day.
@@@

KEEP OUT = not allow someone to enter

We were kept out of the club because we were too young.
@@@

KEEP TO = remain steady or faithful to something

Let's keep to the plan. I don't want to make any changes now.

@@@

KEEP UP = A. prevent from going to bed B. maintain a continuous action or state

A. John kept up Jill last night talking about the current crisis.
B. "Keep up the good work," John's teacher said to him as he handed back his essay.

@@@

KEEP UP WITH = A. move at same rate or pace B. stay informed, current, up to date

A. The pack kept up with the leader as they rounded the final bend of the race.
B. I keep up with things back home by reading the news on the internet.

===================================================================================
Keep on practising!

Good luck,
Hurieh
Sep 24th/14
setayesh

Post by setayesh »

Hi dear Hurieh,

I’m so sorry if my absence dragged on for another week. To be honest with you, I’ve caught a bad cold. Seeing that being sick I took 2 days off to rest at home.

Thanks a lot for writing about my question. It was so enjoyable to read about your summer. I even could imagine the hot climate of Yazd province. This summer was boiling hot here as well. But thank goodness, we survived owing to using air conditioners in such a hot weather everywhere!

Dear Hurieh, these days I’m preparing myself for a job promotion interview. It’s a bit worrying and somehow I’m feeling on edge due to the fact that interview would be in English! Although I’m trying to be so effective in it, my mind is so occupied with the matter of sounding qualified and modest at the same time. Because sometimes when you are trying to show your qualifications and abilities you seem proud, and it makes interviewers keen on to point out your mistakes. There for the situation goes from bad to worse. Anyway, I hope to manage it!
If you have got any tip I would be so glad to know it.

Have a good weekend,

Love
Seti
setayesh

MISSED U!

Post by setayesh »

Hi dear Behnam,

I need to begin by saying that “ I’ve missed you terribly”! I’m sure that you are so busy with your courses at university. Let me confess to the fact that I envy your students a lot! Since their professor is a great person. Not just in words but in real. A great professor, who will go and walk that every possible extra mile to help the world of science. A friend who will never hesitate to make any effort to make me feel right even in the wrongest time. who have always taught me so many wonderful things. To be strong, to be smiling, to be tough, to be unconditionally loving, to be patient, to be calm. You always leave me astonished about how you really manage to be calm, patient and determined in doing several things in the toughest time together. Thanks a lot for being my friend, and thank you so much for inspiring me by your presence.

It was just to let you know that I’ve missed you so much and waiting for U.
All the best
Seti
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Elham »

Hi Hurieh,

How are you my lovely friend? Hope you're enjoying your Friday. Sorry, I'm a little late in replying your post.

Actually, I came to computer so energetically to write to you in a crazy way...since I was so energetic and crazy today..... but sadly just before starting to write to you , I read an email from my lovely dear Amal (one of our friends in the thread and for me my sister)....her mail shocked me... really shocked me.... and I' just wordless now.....

I try to write to you after dealing with this terrible shock...
By the way, many thanks for your nice post about nursing. Oh my god, what a really difficult and challenging job...you had described it greatly...I love to write more about it now but my mind really doesn't help....

I'll come back to you soon honey...

Have a nice day,

Eli
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've missed you terribly!

Post by behnam »

Dear friends, Hurieh, Setayesh, Elham, Mohsen, Mushaf,...,

How are you doing? I hope you are doing well and enjoying every minute of your life. The most beautiful month of the year has come, the birds are chirping, the Sun is getting kind, the shades are getting long, the dry leaves falling down, ...I love them all!

I've missed you a lot. Three days of every week; mainly Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, I am busy at university. To be honest with you, on these days I don't use the Internet, although I've got Internet account, provided by University. On Mondays and Thursdays afternoons, I am on the way; on buses and trains. Therefore, I haven't got access to the Net(If I had access to the Net, I wouldn't get online when traveling, because I dislike being busy with my mobile phone!). However, you are always in my thoughts and heart. Your place is safe there. I never stop thinking about you, remembering the memories we have had with each other, while chatting! I may not put posts here, but it doesn't mean that I have forgotten you.

Today, I got home at 7 o'clock in the morning. I checked my email and read the posts, took a shower and slept! I was very tired.

Please keep the thread alive and active, since thread is; at least, the only place to share something with each other and to keep the connection connected. I often receive emails from you too. That's lovely. I love them. However, an email is shared between two people(in our case), but the posts are read by many people!

It is very nice to read your emails and posts. They are inspiring and motivating. I love your words and kindness. Thank you very much indeed.

According to some experts, the 21st century is the century of loneliness! Loneliness will be one of the most serious problems of human beings in this century. I often speak to my students about this problem and ask them to put away mobile phones as soon as possible. I believe, mobile phone is one of the tools that creates loneliness and some other disasters! On Wednesday in one of the classes I said, "The wiser someone is, the less they use mobile phone."

Let's fight with loneliness! We must not let this disaster happen! Let's fight with the things that bring or cause disaster. My friends, this problem is serious! Take part in fighting with the things that result in loneliness!

I have informed my friends since 2007(the time I entered the Internet) about the disastrous impacts of loneliness! This is one of the bitter fruits of the materialist philosophy which is born and grown in the West!

I don't know what to say, since the blackness is more powerful than whiteness and then it's going to cover all the screen! Blackness is winning! The Sun is going to get completely blocked by dark clouds. Why? Well, I see the footage of loneliness in wherever I see in the world! }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }: }:

Love your posts!

All the best,
Behnam, 26 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:Dear Setayesh...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Setayesh,

So many thanks for your update. I guessed you must have been busy these days. Hope this letter finds you in the best of your health. You well know, the best prescriptions for common cold are CBR (Complete Bed Rest) and having a healthy diet, but in case of having a strong immune system. Stress and insufficient rest may weaken our immune system and increase the outbreak of viral and fungal disease. Take care of yourself very well specially in fickle weather of authumn. I've written a long story for you, but I couldn't submit it in this post for the sake of limited characters . just check out next post please.

regards,
Hurieh
Sep 27th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re,Re: Dear Setayesh!

Post by Hurieh »

Hi again,

Dear Setayesh you mentioned to your interview and asked me some tips for it. To tell you the truth, I've never had such experience at all. I think you'd better ask other people (specially Behnam) who are much more experienced in this context. But I'll eagerly share my experience of defense of my thesis with you. I hope it'd be helpful and worth to read.

You know, although I was completely conversant with all aspects of my thesis, But I got ready for it about two weeks sooner. I always thought It'd be a stressful and tough day. But to my surprise, it turned to one of the best and historic day I've experienced .
First of all I tried to manage everything and prepare myself very well. I made a great PPt file carefully with using essential and summarized texts and the newest effects and animations but with a simple design. Another step was preparing for presentation. I tried to imagine all aspects of the session including what to wear( ;-) ), how to start and finish, what to bring with myself, which questions they might ask, how to resopnd so on.
It might seem silly,, :lol: , but I looked for suitable clothes for about a month. Our appearance will play an important role in different and special occasions. First, It will give us enough self confidence. And second, you can impress your audiences somehow, when you are neat and well dressed. So after lots of efforts I could find the perfect suit which I wanted. A formal, long, dark manto. And I decided to wear my heels to look much taller than all audiences and feel I'm dominant on them. {-; ;-)
The day before the session, I went to the room, where I was supposed to present my thesis. I checked everything including video projector, computer, lights, wires so on. I also imagined myself in the place of presentation. It was really helpful, because I didn't have any concern about the place and devices which were beyond my control.
The stipulated day reached so soon. I knew I was completely ready. So I just asked my God for a calm. I tried to reach there on time. But when I reached , they were holding another meeting in the room. So I took a walk along the campus and it's so called forest trail gently and really enjoyed it's peace and silence. I just put my right hand on my heart and repeated this verse of holy Qoran:
الا بذکرالله تطمئن القلوب" ". It was really helpful as usual and made me cool.

Finally their meeting finished and I went there to get everything ready. My friends and one of the servants of our college came really helpful. I asked some of them to lay out the dishes on the table and prepare other devices of amusement. Another one accepted my request to pick the flower of one of the oldest and ancient trees of our college (magnolia) to make the atmosphere friendly and aromatic. I also was busy with my computer and files.

Everything was ready for an excellent presentation at the moment. I stood near the door and wellcomed all professors, attendants and students. Although my statistic advisor professor didn't attend, but I didn't have any concern. Because I did all my data analyses by myself. They asked me to present during 30 minutes and I could manage my time very well by leaving out some extra informations during presentation. I also tried to keep my eye contact and appropriate voice tone (neither loud, nor slow) during the whole presentation. At the end of my presenation, I appreciated them once again and got ready to hear their questions and comments. Fortunately I've got some pieces of paper with myself to write their questions down, since they didn't let me answer their questions one by one. Once they finished their questions one by one, I appreciated every one for his/her time and subtlety and making such powerful comments and tried to give my reasons politely with smile and without rejecting their ideas.

The session lasted for about 2 hours, but I couldn't understand the passage of time. At the end of session our professors calculated my score . I also broke a record of our college. To my surprise, our seriuos professors (who are female at the most) friendly extolled my presentation , my PPt file and even my appearance and clothes too much and asked me for taking team pictures. {-; ;-) :-)
They hold a simple commencement for me. After wearing graduation gown and it's silly cap and reading hippocratic oath we took several photes happily. I always look at those pictures enthusiastically and remember that memorable and unforgetable day.

Dear Setayesh, interview session must have been different from my experience. I'll add some extra tips which are just some friendly suggestions. You must have been aware of them yourself.

You know, I always believe self confidence is even more important than having too much wisdom and knowledge. Don't worry. Play it cool. Try to maintain and spread your self confidence. But be cautious. As you also mentioned, extra and excessive self confidence isn't very good in this situation and it might be harmful too. It might be considered as an arrogance behavior to people who are more experienced and professional than us.

Enough self confidence will help us to have effective eye contact and concentration on the interviewer. Ask for further clarification if you couldn't understand their question clearly. It's much better than giving wrong and inappropriate answers. But don't do that for several times...Try not to prove your qualification to them by praising yourself excessively. Let them judge you by themselves. They are wise and clever enough to find out your virtues based on your answers and resume.

Dear friend, TRUST IN GOD and rely on yourself and your competence. I wish to hear good news from you and your success very soon.
We'll pray for you and your success.

With best wishes,
Hurieh
Sep 27th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Elham!

Post by Hurieh »

Dear Elham,

Thanks for your care. Don't worry about your delay.Take it easy my friend. I hope you have received good news about your friend that made you shocked. stay in touch.

take care
Hurieh
Sep 27th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re:Welcome back Behnam...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Behnam,

So many thanks for your nice words. They were so encouraging as usual. Always remember your friends, even by dropping a line here.

you mentioned to loneliness. You are completly right..It's a common problem that is growing, exceeding the borders and getting pandemic. But on the opposite side, we may feel that we are surrounded with different people who have various aims, expectations, thoughts, beliefs all the time.
You well know, Sometimes we need to keep our privacy, to be alone ,to take silence and find ourselves and the philosophy of our creation...I like this hadis allegedly by Imam Reza(a)
:" Silence is one of the doors to the wisdom" .
What our perfect religion recommends? Islam depicts a spectrum and suggest being and living in the middle of it.

Warm regards,
Hurieh
Sep 27th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Dear mushaf..

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Mushaf,

What are you up to??? Long time no see..Have you forgotten your friends??? We all missed you too much..Keep us update please.

Regards,
Hurieh
Sep 27th/14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

Hi Hurieh
How are you? Sorry for disappearing from this thread for a long time. I really missed all of you.
It was really amazing to read about your thesis self defense day post. You wrote amazing story of that day. I was not there but you explain everything in such a wonderful manner that I could not blink my eyes while reading and it was like that I was also there . You are really a very hardworking girl, full of energy. It’s not difficult to imagine that you take each and every challenge of your life as an opportunity to learn. I wish you good luck. May Allah help you with each and everything in your life .
Best wishes
Mushaf
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi behnam
its really nice to see your message in thread. i agree with you that loneliness is the one of the biggest disaster of 21st century. unfortunately mobile phones are mandatory to human lives like water , food and air. I really hate when people use mobile while eating , walking , talking and with each and every activity of there lives. Technology on one hand has made this world global village but on the other hand it has created distance between people.
I hope one day people will give more importance to people then machines. When people will take pictures for memories instead of giving status on Facebook.
best wishes
take care
27th september 2014
behnam
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Fill in the blanks!(career)

Post by behnam »

Hi friends,

Please consider these collocations:

begin a career - combine family life with a career - choose a career - pursue a career - further your career - wreck your career - a brilliant career - climb the career ladder - a promising career - as a career - a worthwhile career - a change of career - a turning point in your career - your choice of career - the height/pinnacle of your career - the greatest performance of your career

Now complete the sentences with the correct form of the above expressions:

1) This sandal has .......... his career as a politician. It's now in ruins.
2) He's the owner of a chain of hotels, but he .......... his career as a porter.
3) Getting more qualifications is probably the best way to .......... your career.
4) I think money is a big factor for most people when in comes to ......... a career.
5) I graduate from university soon and I'm hoping to ......... career in business.
6) She considers teaching a .......... career. It is very satisfying to feel that you are helping people to develop.
7) He had a .......... career in politics, becoming Prime Minster at the young age of 46.
8) He had a .......... career ahead of him in football until a knee injury put him out of the game at the age 0f 21.
9) She is now the managing director of the organisation. At the age of only thirty, she has reached ...........
10) At 50 he felt like ......... So he gave up his job as a lawyer and went into teaching.
11) Parents should advise and support their children in ........... However, it's important that they don't try to influence their choice.
12) At a concert in front of 40,000 people, she gave .......... so far.
13) Moving to a new company marked ........... I'm much happier in my new job.
14) Most working women manage to successfully ...........
15) She wants to get ahead in her career. She's eager to ...........
16) Have you ever thought of teaching ..........?

Thank you for following the thread and posts. Please participate actively in answering questions and posting things about English that help the learners with improving their English skills.

Please notice there are some grammatical points in this post. Good luck with practicing!

All the best,
Behnam, 28 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*B.Younessi *
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

My answers to the exercise (Career)!

Post by Hurieh »

Hi Behnam,

Thanks for your worthwhile and informative exercises...These are my answers bellow.

1. wrecked
2. began
3. climb the ladder
4. choose
5. pursue
6. promising
7. brilliant
8. worthwhile
9. the height/pinnacle of her career
10. a change
11. their choice of career
12. the greatest performance of her career
13. a turning point in my career
14. combine family life with a career
15. further her career
16. as a career

Hurieh
Sep 29th/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Mushaf!

Post by Hurieh »

Dear Mushaf,

Nice to see you and your great words. I always read your posts over and over. I can't get enough of reading them... Thanks for your compliments. But to be honest, I'm not that hardwork girl you think. {-: ..Everyone knows how much I'm lazy. :-D .. My friends tell me that my mind is always on finding a way to get out of doing things or the easiest way to achieve highest output.
Although some believe it's not good being a lazy person, but I think laziness has it's own pros and cons. I try to convince myself by this quote of Bill Gates (founder of Microsoft company) that said tactfully :
" I choose a lazy person to do hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it."
Fortunately, electronic tools such as computer, fax, cell phone so on come really handy and help me preserve my laziness.
What's your idea friends? :idea: Shall I change this habit ? :?: {-;

Warm regards,
Hurieh
Sep 29th/14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

2. began
3. further
4. choose
5.pursue
6. promising
7.brilliant
8. worthwhile
9.the height of career
10.wreck
11. choice of career
12. greatest performance
13.turning point in a career
14. combine family with career
15 climb the career ladder
16 as a career

i think i have three answers incorrect. thats what i found out after comparing my answers with Hurieh but i did not change my answers because that would be cheating to change :)
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi hureih
i dont think that you are lazy. you have been posting wonderful posts in group . if you think of yourself as lazy then what should i call myself. i think i am super lazy :)

i agree with bill gates but he is bill gates thats why he knows how to take work from lazy people :)
i hope you will be doing fine
keep smiling :)
have a nice day
Mushaf
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Dear Mushaf!

Post by Hurieh »

Dear Mushaf,

It's really nice of you. You always praise me, even my negative traits.. :-).. I love your honesty for not cheating. You were lucky( {-: ), since just after posting my answers hastily I noticed some of my answers (6,7,8) might be wrong. I'll try to be more careful next time. I also will post some exercises as soon as I get a chance.

Take care of yourself.

Hurieh
Sep 30th/14
Elham
Rising Star
Rising Star

LAZY , YOU?!!!!

Post by Elham »

Dear lovely lazy Hurieh, :-D

First let me inform you that last night my dearest friend "Behnam" wanted me to write a post on his behalf that he's not in Tehran, so he can't put post for you, he said hi to you, thanked you for the answers and said he'll be back on Friday and write to you.

How are you honey? Hope you are enjoying your autumn.How is the fall for you? Is it your favorite like for most of young people? Let me ask you a question...If you were able and free to spend your autumn just the way you want how would you do it? Wowwww, I love to sit and make dreams on this... what a fantastic "food for my dream" !!! YOu should know I am a very dreamy girl...I just dream and dream and live with dreams...that's what keeps me alive... dreaming... :roll: :roll: :roll: let's dream our favorite autumn and share it here, deal? {-;

You said you're lazy? you??? Never want me to believe so. If you call yourself lazy what shall I call myself then??????????????? Super lazy? :lol:

kiss,
Eli

Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

You are all number one!

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear friends, dreamy Elham, workaholic Behnam,

How can I ever thank you ??? You are incredibly loyal ...And it means a lot to me. Please convey my BEST regards to Behnam.. I wish both of you are smiling all the time and so do my dear Mushaf and Setayesh.Thanks for remembering me.

Dear Elham, believe it or not, I was just smiling while reading your post. You are so sweet as cotton candy ... Your posts are always full of positive energy, happiness, life so on. I wish you were here with me at that moment, so I would pull your cheek. {-:
Dear friend, I'm having a hard time answering your question. It's a bit tough to answer, because I'm extremely realistic... But I'll tell you about my favorite activities in real world later.
Now it's your turn my friend..I'm all ears...
Oops..wait a min plz.. just forgot something... It's about Behnam and his favorite season....Covey this message to Behnam please...

" Take care of yourself TOO MUCH these days please,,, Fall is a challenging season and the naughtiest one...In addition of it's fickle and ambivalent weather,fall is the season of lovers.. Be careful not to FALL in love in FALL" {-; {-:

See you in dreamland,
Hurieh,
Oct 1st/14
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

Phrasal verbs with Keep-Excercise

Post by Hurieh »

Please answer these questions bellow. Look back page 173 for more practise . (Phrasal verbs with keep)

(on - off - down - away from - at - up - up with - in - back - out)

Q1: If you take your kids swimming at the beach, tell them to keep ......... the jellyfish.
Q2: The food was so horrible that I struggled to keep it......... .
Q3: Young Johnny was kept .......after school because he was being punished.

Q4: Manchester United have been playing very well. If they keep it......., they will win more games.
Q5: Learning phrasal verbs is hard so you have to keep ......it every day.
Q6: If you keep .........someone in a race, you stay beside them.
Q7: Keep the dog .........of the garden; he keeps digging up the flowers.
Q8: Keep.......! the burning building is about to collapse.
Q9: I asked him to stop but he just kept ...... .
Q10: He can't keep ......the question of climate change, he never stops talking about.

Enjoy practising,

Hurieh,
Oct 1st/14
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

1 Keep away from
2 down
3 in
4 up
5 at
6 on
7 out
8 back
9 on
10. ......
Mushaf

Post by Mushaf »

hi hureih
Thanks for posting exercise . really curious to know how many of my answers are incorrect
it was a tough exercise for me to solve. i had changed my answers many times
take care
best wishes
Hurieh
Rising Star
Rising Star

I clap at you dear Mushaf...

Post by Hurieh »

Hi dear Mushaf,

Thanks for your time dedicated to answering those questions... To quench your curiosity, I will let you know how many items you answered correctly. Guess what ??? :?:
8 items were correct... I clap at you friend. You are really smart. I'll reveal the answers a few days later.

Regards,
Hurieh
Oct 2nd/14