Let's learn together!

Feel free to post here :)

Moderators: Vega, EC, Dixie

behnam
Platinum Member

Thanks, but what do you mean dear Krisi?

Postby behnam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Krisi wrote:
behnam wrote:Hi,

Twenty-seven people have already visited this thread, but none of them have put comment on it! What's wrong? I guess the lack of topic is the main reason for the lack of interest. Well, let me suggest a topic.

What is your favourite season? Why is it your favourite season? Why do people have different favourite season? Where does that difference come from?

I am looking forward to reading your posts soon.

All the best,
Behnam, 19 January, 2012

I think this is the one you are looking for! :)

[amal] wrote:I have learned... that being kind is more important than being right.

Enjoy!

Hi Krisi,

It was a great honour for us to read your post in this thread. Thank you very much for leaving a comment here. However, I didn't get what you mean by that? Would you please explain more about the message you wanted to share with us?

All the best,
Behnam, 24 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Thanks Mohsen!

Postby behnam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:40 pm

Hi Mohsen,

Thank you very much for answering the questions and completing the sentences. Your answer were correct.

All the best,
Behnam, 24 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Fill in the blanks!(Secret, Rumour and Lie)

Postby behnam » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi friends,

Please consider these collocations:

have a secret - keep a secret - tell somebody a secret - a dark secret - an open secret - a closely-guarded secret - one of the best-kept secrets - confirm a rumour - deny a rumour - hear a rumour - start a rumour - rumours go around - tell a lie - believe a lie - spread a lie
Now complete the sentences with the correct form of the above expressions:

1) Why did you have to tell John that I am fancy him? You can't .........., can you?
2) I only .......... my secretes to my best friend.
3) My wife and I are very open with each other. We don't ...........
4) One problem with tracing your family tree is that you might discover some ......... from the past-for example, that your great-grandfather was a murderer.
5) The location of the church where the pop star will get married is a ......... secret.
6) Their affair is an ........... Everybody knows about it, but nobody mentions it.
7) It's a quiet restaurant with the most superb food. It must be on the .......... secrets in Paris. I just hope the guidebooks don't find out about it.
8) We've .......... that the factory is closing. Is there anything in them?
9) In an interview the actress .......... that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.
10) There's a rumour .......... that Jim is leaving. Any idea if it's true?.
11) Nobody seems to know who .......... the rumour.
12) A palace press officer has .......... that the royal couple are about to divorce.
13) I always know when he's ........... He never looks me in the eyes.
14) How could she .......... such a pack of lies? It was obvious that he was lying.
15) I'd like to know who is .......... about me around the neighbourhood.

Thank you for following the thread and posts. Good luck with practicing.

All the best,
Behnam, 24 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

[amal]
Gold Member

Love has finally succeed!

Postby [amal] » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi friends,

How are you?

After two days I have a wedding party and I am sooo excited about it! Because it will happen after a long suffer and many years of rejection, tears and stress. But finally love has won and challenged all the circumstances..

From this story, I have learned that we can achieve whatever we want but it just needs time and being patience. Above that, if we badly want somthing, we should fight for it and don't give up no matter how long it take.

I wish all the best for my best friend "the bride" and wish you all a happy life full of love and joyful days..

Love you,
Amal

Elham
Gold Member

Re: Let's learn together!

Postby Elham » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Amaaaaaaaaaaaal,

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii, where are you???????????? I miss youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I was shocked reading your post. I thought it's your own wedding!!!!!!!!! I was surprised...
Then I checked my mail and saw your mail till I understand it's your friend's not yours! {-:

i wish to hear about your wedding news soon honey.... Believe me, I do feel your empty place, I misss you and I pray for you....

Love you,
Eli

Elham
Gold Member

Answers

Postby Elham » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi,

My correct answers! {-:

1) Why did you have to tell John that I am fancy him? You can't keep a secret, can you?

2) I only tell my secretes to my best friend.

3) My wife and I are very open with each other. We don't have secrets!

4) One problem with tracing your family tree is that you might discover some dark secrets from the past-for example, that your great-grandfather was a murderer.

5) The location of the church where the pop star will get married is a closely-guarded secret.

6) Their affair is an open secret. Everybody knows about it, but nobody mentions it.

7) It's a quiet restaurant with the most superb food. It must be one of the best-kept secrets in Paris. I just hope the guidebooks don't find out about it.

8) We've heard a rumour that the factory is closing. Is there anything in them?

9) In an interview the actress denied the rumour that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

10) There's a rumourgoing around that Jim is leaving. Any idea if it's true?.

11) Nobody seems to know who started the rumour.

12) A palace press officer hasconfirmed a rumour that the royal couple are about to divorce.

13) I always know when he's telling lie. He never looks me in the eyes.

14) How could shebelieve such a pack of lies? It was obvious that he was lying.

15) I'd like to know who is spreading lie about me around the neighbourhood.

behnam
Platinum Member

Thanks Elham!

Postby behnam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:00 am

Hi Elham,

Thank you very much for completing the sentences. Your answers are correct. Your English is great.

I'd like to draw your attention to the questions 9 and 12. In question 9, the second part plays a key role. In fact, the second sentence helps us choose the correct answer between 'confirmed rumours' and 'denied rumours'. Let's have a look at question 9:

9) In an interview the actress .......... that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

As it is obvious, the actress will leave so the rumours about her are true. Therefore, we should say:
9) In an interview the actress confirmed rumours that she will be quitting the show. She said she would be leaving at the end of the current series.

All your answers would be correct if we could replace the answers of questions 9 and 12!

Al the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Hi Amal!

Postby behnam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:10 am

Hi Amal,

It was very nice seeing your new post here and hearing some news about you. It made me happy. Thank you.

I wish you all the best in the world. Stay happy and healthy.

All the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Fill in the blanks!(Education)

Postby behnam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:50 am

Hi friends,

get an education - give you an education - invest in education - return to education - pay for your education - a good education - higher education - nursery education - private education - religious education - secondary education - self education - access to education - the aim of education - standard of educations - the right to education

1) My parents .......... me the best education that money could buy.
2) Parents must make sure that their children .......... a proper education.
3) A growing number of adults are .......... to full-time education.
4) We put some money aside every month to ......... for our daughter's education.
5) The prime minister said that his government will continue to ......... in education.
6) There will be free .......... education for all three-year-old children within five years.
7) Some people think that .......... education is unfair and that we should all have the same educational opportunities.
8) The number of students in .......... education has doubled in the last 10 years.
9) I'm against .......... education in schools. I think it should be done at home.
10) In the UK, most young people receive .......... education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early.
11) Like most parents, I just want my children to have a .......... education.
12) The government wants to make .......... education compulsory up to the age of 18.
13) The cuts in funding will have an effect on the .......... of education in schools.
14) By law all children in the country have the .......... to a free education.
15) One .......... of education must be to teach children to think for themselves.
16) .......... to higher education has improved, with more students now at university.

All the best,
Behnam, 29 August, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

Elham
Gold Member

Postby Elham » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Behnam,

Thanks for new set of questions. I'm confused with some of them ...check my answers and help please...thankssss

1) My parents gave me the best education that money could buy.

2) Parents must make sure that their childrenget a proper education.

3) A growing number of adults are returning to full-time education.

4) We put some money aside every month to pay for our daughter's education.

5) The prime minister said that his government will continue toinvest in education.

6) There will be free nursery education for all three-year-old children within five years.

7) Some people think that private education is unfair and that we should all have the same educational opportunities.

8) The number of students in self education has doubled in the last 10 years.

9) I'm againstreligious education in schools. I think it should be done at home.

10) In the UK, most young people receive.... education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early.

11) Like most parents, I just want my children to have agood education.

12) The government wants to makesecondary education compulsory up to the age of 18.

13) The cuts in funding will have an effect on thestandard of education in schools.

14) By law all children in the country have theright to a free education.

15) One aim of education must be to teach children to think for themselves.

16)Access to higher education has improved, with more students now at university.

Elham
Gold Member

Editing answers!

Postby Elham » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:28 pm

EDITION!

8) The number of students in higher education has doubled in the last 10 years.

10) In the UK, most young people receiveself education in primary school. They learn the facts of life early

behnam
Platinum Member

Thanks Elham

Postby behnam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi Elham,

Thank you for answering to the questions. They are all correct. Well done!

All the best,
Behnam, 3 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Fill in the blanks!(Course)

Postby behnam » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi friends,

do a course - complete a course - drop out of a course - to enroll for a course - schools run courses - courses consist of (lectures) - courses deal with (subjects) - a crash course - a demanding course - an introductory course - an on-line course - a vocational course - completion of a course - a guide to a course - a place on a course - the entry requirements for a course

1) This language school .......... English courses for complete beginners.
2) Older people are returning to school to .......... courses in using computers.
3) If you .......... the course successfully, you will be awarded a certificate.
4) The course ......... with the fundamentals of car maintenance.
5) It's a difficult course. 50% of the students usually ......... within 3 weeks.
6) The course .......... of a series of lectures with a written exam at the end.
7) It was a very tough and .......... course, but we managed to complete it.
8) I'm going to Japan to work soon, so I'm taking a .......... course in Japanese.
9) I studied art, but most of my friends did .......... course, like nursing.
10) The college runs .......... courses where a lot of the teaching is done through the Internet and E-mail.
11) The .......... course is for those people who have no knowledge or experience of teaching.
12) Make sure you fulfil the entry .......... for the course before you send off the application form.
13) I have a conditional offer of a .......... on a nursing course. I have to pass all my exams this year to be accepted on the course.
14) Our website provides a comprehensive .......... to courses at UK universities.
15) Students are given a certificate on successful .......... completion of the course.
16) A total of 50 students .......... for the course in Electronic.

All the best,
Behnam, 3 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

Mushaf
Silver Member

Postby Mushaf » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:03 am

1 deals with introductory
2 To do
3 Complete
4 Deal with
5 Drop out of course
6 Deal with
7 A demanding
8 Crash
9 Vocational
10 Online
11 Guide to
12 Requirements
13 An introductory
14 Guide
15 …..
16 enrolled

Hurieh
Gold Member

Postby Hurieh » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:13 pm

Hi;
I'm a new member in this plateform. I'm so delighted to join you friends. Without any doubt, this will be a wonderful opportunity for me to be with you guys.
First of all, I'd better introduce myself briefly. I'm Hurieh, 24 years old, living in Yazd, originally from Shiraz. I'm a postgraduate student of Critical Nursing Cares and AN ENGLISH LOVER.
I got familiar to this warm and friendly atmosphere by Behnam. I really appreciate him for this.
I hope to be a sincere friend for you guys and a devoted learner. Please accept my friend request and let me learn English as well as you.
Wish to enjoy learning English together.
Best Regards,
Hurieh
September 7th/2014

behnam
Platinum Member

Thanks Mushaf!

Postby behnam » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Mushaf,

How are you? I hope all is going well with you. Thank you very much for completing the questions. The majority of answers are correct, but in order to practice more I am writing the complete sentences.

1) This language school runs English courses for complete beginners.
2) Older people are returning to school to do courses in using computers.
3) If you complete the course successfully, you will be awarded a certificate.
4) The course deals with the fundamentals of car maintenance.
5) It's a difficult course. 50% of the students usually drop out within 3 weeks.
6) The course consists of a series of lectures with a written exam at the end.
7) It was a very tough and demanding course, but we managed to complete it.
8) I'm going to Japan to work soon, so I'm taking a crash course in Japanese.
9) I studied art, but most of my friends did vocational courses, like nursing.
10) The college runs on-line courses where a lot of the teaching is done through the Internet and E-mail.
11) The introductory course is for those people who have no knowledge or experience of teaching.
12) Make sure you fulfil the entry requirements for the course before you send off the application form.
13) I have a conditional offer of a place on a nursing course. I have to pass all my exams this year to be accepted on the course.
14) Our website provides a comprehensive guide to courses at UK universities.
15) Students are given a certificate on successful completion of the course.
16) A total of 50 students enrolled for the course in Electronic.

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Welcome Hurieh!

Postby behnam » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:31 pm

Hi Hurieh,

Welcome to this thread. Thank you very much for joining us. I got surprised when I saw you first post. Your writing is great. I hope we will help each other improve our English language skills through writing and reading in this place.

Please do not hesitate to share your experience in English learning with us. You can set some grammatical questions and ask us to answer them. Dear Setayesh used to do that, although for a very short time. It seems she is busy these days.

I hope to read more from you.

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Announcement!

Postby behnam » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi friends,

Many thanks for following this thread. By the grace of God, I will post the new set of questions about 'lesson' tomorrow. Please do not lose contact with the thread! :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best,
Behnam, 8 September 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

Hurieh
Gold Member

Postby Hurieh » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:33 am

Hi dear Behnam,

Thank you very much for your welcoming and praising my writing .I have no word to express my special gratitude. Your page is great and seems you and your cool friends are really literate based on your former posts. It's my pleasure to be a member of this unique and exclusive group.

I'm not completely familair to your methods and interest. please let me know what I should do exactly...Although I've never been a good follower, but I hope to keep up with you properly... {-; ...When I entered a group I tried to change their atmosphere for the sake of diversity with respect to their rules and opinions...I can't stand routine and traditional methods .I hardly get habituated to something and follow it for a long time. If I were successful in making a new approach in a group I would stay there, Otherwise I would abandon there. Routine affairs kill my talents, skills and abilities and in contrast, diversity revive me. I also do respect to the rules of your group and never expect you to confirm my whole ideas.Dear Behnam, I hope you look at the half full of the glass not half empty, and never consider it rude. In my opinion, by dividing responsibilities and creating new methods learning process will become more exciting and efficient.
As you well know, native English speakers use pharsal verbs more in their speech. I like to learn different phrasal verbs in sentence structures as much as I can. I also like to learn different and unknown expressions and idioms. I will adhere to your rules and laws.
I'm not sure whether or not you agree. I'm waiting for your permission.
Regards,
Hurieh.September 9th/2014

behnam
Platinum Member

Fill in the blanks!(Lesson)

Postby behnam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi friends,

have lessons - skip a lesson - prepare a lesson - teach someone a lesson - begin/start a lesson - give lessons - catch up with your lessons - a lesson about something - a lesson with someone - during a lesson - in a 40-minute lesson - the aims of the lesson - the point of a lesson - the start of the lesson - the main points of the lesson

1) Teacher's salaries are very low, so I'm .......... private lessons at weekends.
2) The teacher is terrible. I don't think he .......... his lessons carefully enough.
3) I got into trouble when my father found out that I had been .......... lessons.
4) My English teacher always ......... his lessons with a warm-up exercise.
5) My brother is determined to be an actor so he's ......... lessons in dreams.
6) I was off school for 5 weeks, so I have quite a few lessons to .......... up with.
7) We've got a lesson .......... Mrs Zunobi this afternoon.
8) You can't expect to learn everything about computing .......... a one-hour lesson.
9) The lesson was .......... the rise and fall of the Roman Empire.
10) No talking is allowed .......... the lesson.
11) Somebody needs to .......... in how to be polite to customers!.
12) The teacher started by going over the main .......... of yesterday's lesson.
13) I just don't see .......... of this lesson.
14) It always takes the students a while to settle down at the .......... of the lesson.
15) The .......... of my lesson was to get students talking.

Consider the following sentences and choose 'lesson or class' to fill in the blanks. When do we use lesson and when do we use class?
16) I'm having driving .......... from my uncle.
17) The school runs evening .......... throughout the year.
18) I think Jack is going to need some private .......... if he's going to have any chance of passing A level maths!
19) The teacher dismissed the .......... early because she had a meeting.
20) I have Electronics .......... at 14:00 on Wednesdays.

All the best,
Behnam, 9 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

behnam
Platinum Member

Hi Hurieh!

Postby behnam » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:13 pm

Hi Hurieh,

How are you? I hope you are doing great. Thank you for the reply.

Actually, we haven't got any rules, regulations, laws, limitations, restrictions or whatever you call it. However, according to our bitter experience, politics and religion are two heated topics. These topics create tension, violence, and conflict. Amazingly, that's difficult to convince someone of political and religious issues. In fact, nobody gets convinced of those things. Therefore, that's peaceful and wise to avoid writing about these topics. By the way, degrading women is not acceptable. In addition to them, porn and dirty jokes are not allowed in accordance with an unwritten law that we all obey! {-:

When it comes to practising English, there is no limitations and restrictions on the skills. You can focus on phrasal verbs, grammars, collocations, idioms, proverbs, etc.

I hope to read more from you.

All the best,
Behnam, 10 September, 2014
ارادتمند شما
*بهنام *

Return to “General Discussion”