Self (Student) Centered Learning! What are the odds?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

abulmoon

Self (Student) Centered Learning! What are the odds?

Post by abulmoon »

The core of any Student-centered learning classroom or environment is whether the learners work hard to solve their own problems and research their inquiries. The basic distinction between this and direct classroom instruction is that the problem solving urges the learning. In instructive methods (Traditional), problems act as examples or applications of the introduced concepts previously taught. In a Student-centered mode, the students learn content to deal with the problem. (Jonassen & Land, 2000).

Moreover, studies have shown that the higher the technology emphasis, the greater the rise in student’s self concepts and learning. As a matter of fact, through my humble personal experience, I found out that When technology was combined with the true application of student-centered learning, my students responded passionately and more enthusiastically. The excitement that results from giving the students a chance to solve a certain problem using means they like is amazing! This way, students and teachers tend to make connections that build a highly effective student-centered learning environments.

My biggest question is: Are you an instructor who is willing to accept new changes and adapt new methods? Or are you afraid of not being able to cope and produce?

What would be your say in response to such a very sensitive, yet important issue?
MisterBen

Re: Self (Student) Centered Learning! What are the odds?

Post by MisterBen »

I whole-heartedly agree! However, problems arise when there is a syllabus to follow and the learning institution's goals are not the same as the learners' goals. I run into this all the time: a company wants to pay for Business English classes, and the students already know how to do their work tasks in English. So we spend the lesson either telling them something they already know, or discussing other matters which are not prioritised by the company. One reason many teachers have a difficult time in letting their students learn what they want to learn is that the teachers are expected to teach them certain things in a certain amount of time. It would be great if all of the students suddenly decided on the same day that they wanted to practice the passive, but ultimately it's more efficient if the teacher just says "today we're doing this". I've only worked in a couple of places where I had the freedom to really give this responsibility to the students, so it's not necessarily a problem with the instructors!
desmyath

Re: Self (Student) Centered Learning! What are the odds?

Post by desmyath »

Moreover, studies have shown that the higher the technology emphasis, the greater the rise in student’s self concepts and learning.
We are the leading the world in providing best Testking cisco certification dumps prep solutions. Our incredible offers for and gedare accessible at reasonable prices;