FREE Early Childhood Phonics / Writing Curriculum

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

phonicsguy

FREE Early Childhood Phonics / Writing Curriculum

Post by phonicsguy »

Hi, I'm in the process of completing the first book in a series of Phonics / Writing books specifically for students that are experiencing English for the first time. I would love to have some teachers that are teaching first time learners give my method and material a try. If you are interested, please PM me.

A little about myself and my curriculum...
I've been an ESL teacher for seven years in Korea. Six of those years I have spent teaching 3-4 year olds. Over the years I've tailored my methods for the first time English learner. I decided to put together a couple of my workbook pages and they have spurred me into creating this book / curriculum.

My method is a little different than traditional methods and aligns in a similar fashion to Jolly Phonics. Although I just discovered Jolly Phonics after I created my first 100 pages, it is surprisingly similar in the fact that blend phonics is what I'm going for. In my book, I first teach children to follow dotted lines in specific directions:top to bottom, left to right. This will naturally get them reading and writing from the left side, which is essential to correcting dyslexia and spacial related type problems early on. From there I teach the numbers 1-5. Also stressing writing on lines in the correct direction. (this is a phonics and writing book combined, so lots of writing practice is included)

After the lines and numbers pages are finished (about 20 pages) I move on to the alphabet. I go in ABC order, but I leave out 'e', 'i', 'o', and 'u' until 'a' and all the consonants are learned. After I teach the letter 'Aa' I teach 'Bb.' And here is where my method deviates from normal. I immediately combine 'a' and 'b' into the digraph 'ab.' After about 5 pages of 'ab,' I teach the digraph 'ba.' Then I move on to 'Cc,' next 'ac', then 'ca.' I move through the rest of the consonants in the alphabet this way (I will, I haven't created more than 100 pages yet.)

I have taught this way for the last 2 years and I have successfully had both of my classes reading after one year. After 3-5 months students will begin (on their own) adding a final consonant to the end of the digraphs to make 3 letter words. Their natural curiosity to figure out words and letters bring them to this point. It has happened with both of my classes.

The materials you will get are weekly pdf's of the workbook pages, accompanying PowerPoint slides that have all of the answers animated. Also, there will be several other PowerPoint slides that teach proper letter and number formation (repeating animation, the slide goes on forever.) Finally, I will include detailed lesson plans for the teacher / parent.

This will be free to you on a weekly basis with one condition. Please give me feedback. Videos would be awesome! Pictures are great! Notes on ways to improve slides, methods, or lesson plans...you rock! I am so passionate about this project, and I have created everything that I have over the course of about 6 months, (I do have a 10 hour day of teaching to work around.)

Please PM me if you are interested. Tell me about yourself and where you are teaching, how old your students are, etc., other relevant information too!
sariab

Re: FREE Early Childhood Phonics / Writing Curriculum

Post by sariab »

Hi, my name is Sara I am an English Teacher and Translator, I am interested in your material, can you share it with me please.