Can you recommend some listening materials?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

teukubenze

Can you recommend some listening materials?

Post by teukubenze »

Hello everyone,

I am an English teacher at one of school in Indonesia. In my country, English is a foreign language. It is hard to teach English in my country. They have no good environment to practice their English. It is different from Malaysia, English is a second language in Malaysia. We can find people easily who speaks English in Malaysia.

How to attract my students to improve their English everyday?

Do you have something interesting to be listened as learning material at my school?

Thank you
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Can you recommend some listening materials?

Post by Dixie »

teukubenze wrote:Hello everyone,

I am an English teacher at one of school in Indonesia. In my country, English is a foreign language. It is hard to teach English in my country. They have no good environment to practice their English. It is different from Malaysia, English is a second language in Malaysia. We can find people easily who speaks English in Malaysia.

How to attract my students to improve their English everyday?

Do you have something interesting to be listened as learning material at my school?

Thank you
We have the same problem here. With no immersion, learning the foreign language is really hard. One way to motivate students is to show them videos of their favorite shows in English, with English subtitles. It's a good listening exercise where they also pay attention to vocabulary and pronunciation.

Another exercise that my teen students really enjoy is logging into http://www.lyricstraining.com. Here they listen to their favorite songs while trying to write or complete the lyrics.
Matthewton

Post by Matthewton »

Hi,
For English learners, listening and speaking is important, so we need to provided as much English-speaking environment as possible. Apart from listening activities in text book, it is a good idea to incorporate songs and movies and educational documentaries in the lesson because they are authentic. Your students can get familiar with different accents and thereby , practice pronunciation and intonation. More importantly, songs and movies should be exploited creatively and challengingly to make them more engaging in listening and feel less boring.
I highly recommend some featured sources you can include: deepenglish.com, ed-TED youtube, and some films like Friends.
All the best with your teaching.
RachRam

Post by RachRam »

Hi,

I would recommend the following application- Listen 'em for improving listening and reading:

Listen'em-Play News on the go! - Android Apps on Google Play
Listen 'em on the App Store
Get the benefit of:
1. Improving your listening
2. Stay updated with the latest news
3. Stay tuned to the Vocabulary channel
4. Listen anytime, anywhere
5. Download while you are connected to the internet and listen at a later time.
Note: Best to download the application while you are connected to the wifi , as it takes time for the initial download of the application.
darbrider

Post by darbrider »

Hi teukubenze,
your students do need to listen to spoken English as much as possible, however it's not easy to listen to words you don't really understand, without anyone to explain them. They can watch English speaking videos with subtitles (Indonesian or English if they already have a good reading level). Another option is to watch the free lessons on Teentok : http://www.teentok.com/free-lessons The good thing about these lessons is that they use video so that students can guess the meaning of what they hear from the context : decor, images, situation, body language and facial expressions. This is probably the most direct way to learn spoken English, without going through reading or translation : learn complete phrases and expressions in the context of a real-life situation, and then watch additional videos that help you memorize and practice the content. The teentok lessons were designed to help learners learn the spoken language, not the written one, and many schools are beginning to use them as a complement. There are also many other English-speaking videos on Youtube that can help attract your students to English and entice them to listen and speak - only through listening a lot of spoken English will they be able to start speaking, reading will not really help them speak.
hanhcom

Post by hanhcom »

try to listening to the program CNN 10 - Formerly CNN student News. Its 10 mins program to practice english.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfkq1P ... 84V-kT6oww try this channel. they also has a blog with transcript to read and learn New words to.

or u can try BBC 6 min program which is good too.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsUF-o ... pFsOXLHWnw
mattpattersonjr

Post by mattpattersonjr »

I would definitely recommend podcasts. That's the simplest and useful tool to improve speaking. I even listen to some pods at work, as my job does not involve a lot of communication. There are a lot of channels, but I think the most useful and inspiring is TEDtalks. Love it!
To don't like to deal with the writings, so I found the writer at https://essayshark.com/write-my-paper-for-cheap.html to help me with essays
GeorgeFowell

Post by GeorgeFowell »

Best way to improve English is listening and speaking on the regular basis.