What difficulties have you had learning English?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

BrentDeBondtORC

What difficulties have you had learning English?

Post by BrentDeBondtORC »

Hello everybody

I have to write a thesis about difficulties English learners encounter while learning english as a second or foreign language. As I need as much references as possible, I want to ask you all to react and say what difficulties you have encountered the most. Please also tell me what your native language is.

Thanks in advance

Brent

*By reacting you agree that I publish this data without saying your name.
Rouz

Re: What difficulties have you had learning English?

Post by Rouz »

hi Brendon.,

I am new on this page,and i am very happy to be part of this web.
I think i understand the language,but i have difficulties in writting.Creating sentences in the right verb!
Hope u undestand :roll:
Honey

Post by Honey »

Hi, everybody!
I hope it's not too late to share my response to your question.

One of the difficulties I've had is pronunciation. Particularly, weak forms and, therefore, fluency, are two items I've struggled with.
Also, my vocabulary range is poor. It seems I always play safe when speaking or writing. I've tried to use thesaurus or dictionaries to increase my lexical resource. Sadly, my memory is poor, too - No wonder why it took so long before I finally found my password to access this forum. LOL!

Last but not least, writing's been such a challenge for me. It seems my sentences are stilted, mainly when I try complex sentences.

There are other difficulties, such as listening to authentic material or reaching a native-like pronunciation. Even so, the three problems I mentioned before are my greatest problems, my kryptonite as I've been learning English.

Cheers!
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday
sadafshh

Post by sadafshh »

HI
i am new in this site {-; and my native language is persian , my difficulties that i had in learning english is listening , becuase there is so many accent :cry: :cry: and the other is i forgot some of words when i want to speaking :-(
do u have any suggestion for my problems?? :-)
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

For listening try the online dictation at:
https://www.englishclub.com/listening/dictation.htm
(There are three different levels.)

And also Tara's Listen to News every week at:
https://www.englishclub.com/efl/categor ... ning-news/
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
sadafshh

Post by sadafshh »

thank you so much
sershat

Post by sershat »

Hi, everyone.
My native language is Russian.
I have difficulties with speaking. I've been learning English for several years.
I almost don't have big problems with grammar, understanding, listening etc.
Even without a teacher, I succeeded to reach such a level. I did it by textbooks and different multimedia materials from the Internet. But my main difficulties were to develop my speaking skills. And it's understandable, because you need a lot of speaking practice for it or you need to be in the language environment. Recently I've graduated from some English school. I don't want to write its name here. i would't like it to be perceived like advertisement. But it helped me a lot. Among different methods of teaching they used lessons, which they called chat clubs. It means you come to such a chat and talk English with people of the same level like yours. I received a great experience and improved my speaking skills a lot.
Not it has passes for almost half an year after I had finished to attend this course, and I feel that I start to forget and lose my level. When I sometimes need to speak English' I don't feel such a confidence like I used to have when I had a regular practice' and I feel it's more difficulties to recall words and expressions and to build sentence. So my main problem is lack of practice' practice and practice...