Extending memory... i guess?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

IceBeerG

Extending memory... i guess?

Post by IceBeerG »

Hello everyone. Recently (for about 5 years now) I've been possessed with something forcing me to learn this beautiful language, and can't imagine my further life without trying it, watching original English movies/reading books etc. Speaking comes harder due to my personality but... I guess I digressed from the question I wanted to ask.

I started to find myself unable to learn new vocabulary at all. I find some new interesting expressions, words that technically can be used. I mean they're not some ancient forgotten dialect or something. But after reading through these words a few times, after spelling them to myself, even after writing them down, the next day - just blank paper. Nothing at all.

I was wondering what you can advise someone with a mammoth's heart, the god's will and the golden fish's memory to learn new vocabulary?
PrfromTexas

Re: Extending memory... i guess?

Post by PrfromTexas »

Hello,

It happens quite often with my students. And it's actually a common struggle with each language. So don't get discouraged - you can find the best method that will help you learn new words.
I always suggest mnemonics. These are simple and easy (frequently funny) ways that help remember things and phenomena better. You may use Mnemonicdictionary to try them with words. There are ideas for each word.
Besides, you may also use imagination to help you remember words better. Let's say, you need to learn the words, you can use a photographic memory mnemonic - create a list of those words, and mark them as 1,2,3, etc. Another method is to draw a sketch of a tree where you can write down each word on a tree branch. Then you can remember the location of a word and how it looks like.
Retired Professor of Theatre at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi - last publication leadership essay and linguistics in oratory art.
jonathanrace
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Extending memory... i guess?

Post by jonathanrace »

ANKI, ANKI & ANKI!

It's a free piece of software that is so good for memorization. I actually wrote an article about how to build your vocabulary. It talks about getting set up in ANKI, finding the right words etc.

I've used it so much in my language studies (Japanese & mandarin) and always tell my students to use it!
I can help you Learn English