Do you use New Concept English as textbook?

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Do you use New Concept English as textbook?

Post by Nanning » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:31 pm

Hi, dear friends, old or new, how are you? I haven't been here to exchange views with you for a very long while, but I am happy to see the forum is still working and that there are many friends here.

I know there are many varieties of textbooks available in the market for one to learn English as a foreign language. But the most popular one or the one that has the largest number of users in my country is New Concept English compiled by a noted British linguist L. G. Alexander in 1960s, with the major part remaining unchanged till now and some portions updated from time to time.

We all believe it is the widest used textbook in the world for this purpose, but some friends outside China tell us that it is only used in China only. So I want to know what kind of textbooks you are now using for learning English? Thank you.

Tetianna

Re: Do you use New Concept English as textbook?

Post by Tetianna » Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 pm

Hello Nanning.
I have never heard of such a book as you mentioned. I am interested and I am sure to Google it.
I have been teaching Russian students for some time using the New English File. I think it is pretty much the same as books of this type- Student's book, Workbook and Teacher's book. It has several levels from Beginner to Upper-Intermediate as well as videos for Practical English with Allie and Mark who find themselves in cafés, shops, street for Lower level and at the office -for higher levels.
Enjoy your studies

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning » Fri May 03, 2019 9:00 am

Tetianna wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 pm
Hello Nanning.
I have never heard of such a book as you mentioned. I am interested and I am sure to Google it.
I have been teaching Russian students for some time using the New English File. I think it is pretty much the same as books of this type- Student's book, Workbook and Teacher's book. It has several levels from Beginner to Upper-Intermediate as well as videos for Practical English with Allie and Mark who find themselves in cafés, shops, street for Lower level and at the office -for higher levels.
Enjoy your studies
Hi, dear teacher, nice to meet you!
I heard people say it is intended for European learners, but later some educators got the copy from Hong Kong and found it useful, so they first used it by illegal photocopying in colleges at first in 1980s, later they introduced it to the public. It was published by Longman, I will show you the cover and some inside pages next time. Now Longman works with local publishing houses to revise the original a little to suit the needs of the changing time, but the main body remaines the same.

It is said that quite a number of Chinese students in overseas colleges stunned their professors with their fluent reciting many of the whole texts of this New Concept English.haha!

Tetianna

Post by Tetianna » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am

Hi Nanning, it is fun to read your feedback.
But you are right, Ukrainian/Russian students also have these typical learnt by heart phrases they can say even in their sleep like "London is the capital of Great Britain" or "Who is on duty today?" . I am not sure that nowadays or ever teachers ask that at all!)
What will Chinese students always quote from their English learning experience?

Nanning
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Nanning » Sat May 25, 2019 7:17 am

Tetianna wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am
Hi Nanning, it is fun to read your feedback.
But you are right, Ukrainian/Russian students also have these typical learnt by heart phrases they can say even in their sleep like "London is the capital of Great Britain" or "Who is on duty today?" . I am not sure that nowadays or ever teachers ask that at all!)
What will Chinese students always quote from their English learning experience?
As you know, there are a variety of learners. Some study English at school as their compulsory course, some for going abroad to have further study. So with different motives, they have different attitude toward the learning. Those who can recite the whole book of New Concept English are obviously the ones of the latter.

Unlike Russian or Ukrainian schools or people, Chinese actually do not find this langauge really helpful in their life because the there is huge difference between their mother tongue and that foreign language. Some colleges require that students have to obtain the certificate of College English Test Band 4 or Band 6, otherwise they will not be granted the diploma. So the population of learning English is the largest but the quality and effect is the lowest in the world. Back in 1950s and early 1960s when China and the USSR was in honeymoon, we all learnt Russian as the main foreign language. Most people, whether in cities or rural areas, could easily recite a long line of rhymed Russian sentences, most of which were about the friendship or achivements made by the two countries.

Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox » Sat May 25, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks Nanning for this great feedback and insight. We seldom hear that.

Tetianna

Post by Tetianna » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:15 am

As you know, there are a variety of learners. Some study English at school as their compulsory course, some for going abroad to have further study. So with different motives, they have different attitude toward the learning. Those who can recite the whole book of New Concept English are obviously the ones of the latter.

Unlike Russian or Ukrainian schools or people, Chinese actually do not find this langauge really helpful in their life because the there is huge difference between their mother tongue and that foreign language. Some colleges require that students have to obtain the certificate of College English Test Band 4 or Band 6, otherwise they will not be granted the diploma. So the population of learning English is the largest but the quality and effect is the lowest in the world. Back in 1950s and early 1960s when China and the USSR was in honeymoon, we all learnt Russian as the main foreign language. Most people, whether in cities or rural areas, could easily recite a long line of rhymed Russian sentences, most of which were about the friendship or achivements made by the two countries.
I wonder what differences are between these two languages Chinese and English? Do you only teach English or it is not your major activity?