metaphor and simile

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

miltk

metaphor and simile

Post by miltk »

i have a question.
what is the difference between a metaphor and simile? i am not asking for the dictionary definition, "like/as". that really does nothing for me. what i'm asking is what is the intent of the author when using like/as and NOT using it?

i just posted on a sports forum. i posted "zion is baryshnikov with the density of a wrecking ball" as opposed to "zion is like baryshnikov with the density of a wrecking ball". i used the metaphor because i wanted to give my statement more weight, whereas the latter sounded more wishy washy.

so what is the reasoning for using either?
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: metaphor and simile

Post by Firefox »

miltk wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:01 pm i have a question.
what is the difference between a metaphor and simile? i am not asking for the dictionary definition, "like/as". that really does nothing for me. what i'm asking is what is the intent of the author when using like/as and NOT using it?

i just posted on a sports forum. i posted "zion is baryshnikov with the density of a wrecking ball" as opposed to "zion is like baryshnikov with the density of a wrecking ball". i used the metaphor because i wanted to give my statement more weight, whereas the latter sounded more wishy washy.

so what is the reasoning for using either?
Tbh I think you answer your own question very well. In this case metaphor is a dramatic simile.