English as a second language

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:42 am

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?
B) an English-speaking country?

ramirezy
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:50 am
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by ramirezy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:13 pm

I think the main problems to practice speaking English in:

a) in your own country?

The lack of time in speaking it with English speakers, effective methods in language learning, no self-motivated.

b) an English-speaking country?
Be afraid to make mistakes when speaking, spending time with Spanish speakers because they feel more confident with them.

User avatar
Paqui
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Paqui » Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm

From my point of view, the problems that may exist to practice speaking in English outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

The little free time to do other activities. Besides that your panic to speaking English is bigger than your motivation to look for a person to practice.

B) an English-speaking country?

Your fear of making mistakes and making a fool of yourself.

User avatar
Xavier
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:01 am
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Xavier » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm

Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was some latin people who tried speak with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.

User avatar
gpujol
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:43 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by gpujol » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm

For me the problemes that I find to practice speaking English outside the class are:

A) In you own country:
The principal problem that I have is the motivation, because I have some friends who speaking English very well, but when I can meet with them it's difficult and strange speak English, when we always comunicate in Catalan between each other. However I have one friend from Moroco and we only speaking in English because he doesn't speak Spanish.

B) an English-speaking country;
I think, in this case it's totally different, because the prinicipal problem is the embarrassment and the fear to do mistakes, moreover I felt very ashamed when people can't understand me.

To sum up, I think that I need more motivation and try to lost my shy and if I have some mistakes, learn of them!

User avatar
Nuria
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:09 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Nuria » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:56 pm

Problems practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:
A) in your own country?
If I’m in my own country I can go to ordinary classes and I can do many exercises, I will learn English, especially grammar and vocabulary, however, I will have insecurities having a real conversation, either speaking or listening.
Nowadays we have many tools to practice speaking, searching a group in Skype, recording ourselves can be also useful, but, if we don’t have a quick result, we will lose the motivation for sure.

B) an English-speaking country?
Some people think that this is the best way to improve their speaking skills. For instance, we can go to England to study English with other foreigners, however, we will spend more time with people non native and Spaniards than with native speakers. Actually, this situation would be similar to studying in your own country.

In both situations we have to have or the need or an extra motivation to avoid the comfort we tend to find in communicating in our own language.

User avatar
AuroraFdez
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:06 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by AuroraFdez » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:14 am

A) in your own country?

In my opinion, the problem in my country to practice English outside the class is the actual situation, because people can' t meet for the Coronavirus, moreover it is so difficult for me because I am ashamed to talk to my classmates many times. Last year I could sometimes talk to my college at work, he knows a lot of English and many times he spoke to me in English, but now I am in ERTE and I can' t practice with him. On the other hand, I know that there are many options, for example on the Internet, but I feel a bit embarrassed when I don't know anyone....... It's very difficult for me to speak and listen, but I know I have to improve my speaking and listening outside the classroom.

B) an English-speaking country?

As for an English-speaking country, I think it is the best option, because you have to speak to the people in the city in English, because it is their mother tongue and it is the best option for speaking English, everybody speaks English and I would always have to speak English so that they understand me. I guess it's better because you can't speak another language and it would be a good option to improve the fluency and accuracy of my spoken English.
But now we can't travel away from Spain....

User avatar
carla rodriguez
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:12 am
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by carla rodriguez » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:54 am

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

In this case, the main problem to improve your speaking is that you are surrounded by people who speak the same language as you, not English. For this reason, your level of involvement in learning decrease, because you haven't the feeling of obligation to learn it. Also, I think that this fact adversely affect in the motivation since you don't depend on the language and you lengthen the learning process over time.

B) an English-speaking country?

If your English level isn't too high, in my view, It's difficult to start to speak with native persons and mostly understand them. Besides, seeing that everyone understands the language except you can be a factor that overwhelms you and makes you feel bad about yourself. However, I would like to say that I consider this way better than the option A.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:56 pm

Paqui wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm
From my point of view, the problems that may exist to practice speaking in English outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

The little free time to do other activities. Besides that your panic to speaking English is bigger than your motivation to look for a person to practice.

B) an English-speaking country?

Your fear of making mistakes and making a fool of yourself.
Hi Paqui, I really understand your fears, but the more you practice English the better you will speak it. Making mistakes should not stop you from speaking a second language. If you don't make mistakes is a clear sign that your are not using the language.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:00 pm

Xavier wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was some latin people who tried speak with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.
Hi Xavier, you should be more concerned about fluency. You say above you need someone to correct while you are speaking, I strongly disagree with that, fluency is more important than accuracy. you will always have time to reflect on mistakes later. Error treatment is necessary but not when someone is in the middle of a conversation.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:02 pm

ramirezy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:13 pm
I think the main problems to practice speaking English in:

a) in your own country?

The lack of time in speaking it with English speakers, effective methods in language learning, no self-motivated.

b) an English-speaking country?
Be afraid to make mistakes when speaking, spending time with Spanish speakers because they feel more confident with them.
Being afraid of making mistakes....

User avatar
Susana
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:56 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Susana » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:42 pm

From my point of view the main problems to practice speaking outside class are:

A) in your country?
In many cases you don’t need to speak English in your work, in your daily life and you are surrounded only by Spanish speakers. Moreover it’s possible that you haven’t got enough time or motivation to continue practicing outside class. Nowadays life is too complicated!

B) an English-speaking country?
Linguistic immersion is a good system to practice a language. In fact, in my opinión it’s the best way to improve a second language. This system helps you to develop your speaking and listening skills. However you must take some measures such as don’t have fear to make mistakes, overcome shyness and if it’s possible to avoid to be in contact with other Spanish people

User avatar
SusannaCD
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:32 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by SusannaCD » Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:24 pm

A) In your own country?

I think that the problem is to find English speakers (nom-Catalan/Spanish people). Everybody have friends who speak English but, sometimes, we are ashamed to talk to them because their level is higher than us and you don’t feel comfortable.
The best option is speaking with foreign people.

B) An English-speaking country?

In my opinion, it is the best way to improve your English. First, you must speak in English in different circles so your vocabulary will be bigger.
Secondly, if you have the opportunity of practising English in UK (or other English-speaking countries) the pronunciation will be better.
However, the main problem is our fears to making mistakes or don’t understand them, but we’d have to get over our fears and practice more

User avatar
Jose Antonio
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:18 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Jose Antonio » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm

The main problems in practice speaking english outside class

a) in my class:
Is that most of people don't speak english, they speak Spanish /Catalan, and if you want to speak this language, you have to meet with for example, english/american people to practice it or with spanish people that want to learn it and speak with you in english.
Besides, in the Spanish TV, a lot of american/british series, films, TV Shows, are dubbed in Spanish instead of be broadcast in Original Version and subtitled in Castilian. This fact makes us not get used to hearing in english

b) an english speaking country
On the one hand, sometimes, when you finish your english class and you meet with a people of your same nationality, you don't speak or practice this language, and on the other hand, if you live with people of different nationalities, you can improve your english, because you are obligated to speak in this.

User avatar
CarmenGP
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:46 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by CarmenGP » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 pm

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

The general problem is that this country is Spanish-speaking. If someone wants to learn or speak English, the best way is to enroll in an academy or school. And although I know there are several places where you can go to practice, I'm very ashamed to make mistakes while talking with people I don’t know.

B) an English-speaking country?

In my case, the only problem would be the communication. I truly sure I don’t have, on the one hand, a necessary level to understand different accents and on the other hand, I don't have enough fluency speaking. Everything else is an advantage: you travel learning an idiom whereas you know new people and special places and cultures.

User avatar
MarvinEstalinH
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:46 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by MarvinEstalinH » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:52 pm

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

On the one hand, the principal handicap that I see in Spain is that people usually speak their mother tongue, Spanish. Although in some cities in Spain people speak different dialects like Catalán, Valenciano, Gallego, etc. So, I think it is difficult to know and practice english without native english speakers.


B) an English-speaking country?

On the other hand, I think that it depends on the level of speaking you are, moreover if you don't know people that help you to practice you can't improve your skills. However, the experience of traveling or living in another country is so wonderful, because you can learn about speaking, listening and write directly to native people.

User avatar
Marialr
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:03 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Marialr » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:11 pm

Hello Miguel,

My opinion is:
A) your own country
The main problem is that you are surrounded by people who speak the same language as you, in this case, Spanish or Catalan. Obviously you can practice English with your friends or family. However, in my opinion, it is artificial to communicate with them in a foreign language because when you want to say something important to each other, you do so spontaneously in your mother tongue but not in English. On the other hand, you can speak English on Internet but you need motivation and time to do that.

B) an English-speaking country
I think that it is the best option to speak English because you have the opportunity to practice with native speakers and become comfortable with their pronunciation. Yet, if I studied in English-speaking country, I’d feel silly speaking a language in which I know I are making mistakes. This need not to be the case, unfortunately, this is. Still, I would speak English because it would be the way to survive in the country

User avatar
Luisa Gamez
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:16 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Luisa Gamez » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 pm

I’ve been studying English for several years and I’m used to struggling with some problems in practising speaking outside class in my own country. Firstly, as an adult student, I don't have much time and It can be difficult finding people that wanted to spend their time talking to me or whose schedules fit my schedules. Secondly, if you get appointments with other students, but you have a similar level, it could be difficult correcting your mistakes. Besides, the current pandemic limits relationships in a face to face context. So I usually prefer activities like the speaking corner, where there is a teacher that guides the session and I'm longing for Halloween's special activity at school.

On the other hand, although my experience in an English-speaking country has been shorter so far, I think I can get a conclusion: When you are in a real context, accuracy is less important than communication. I visited London years ago, and I had to use my broken English as a tool to get tickets for museums and transport, ask for directions, and order food. I had to talk to kind people, but also with stupid people that didn’t want to understand even by signs and made me feel weird and silly, and I wished the earth would swallow me up. However, even awful people can unintentionally help you to improve your English. {-;

User avatar
FlaviaCrespan
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:39 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by FlaviaCrespan » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:16 pm

The big problem of learning English is the motivation. In the past I studied English for many years without a clear objective. I wasn't motivated at all for the language. Now I have a life project with my family and I'm very motivated in improving my English.

The second problem I think I have enough time. The velocity of our lives makes us never stop. I need time to watch english films, or read books, or do a tandem with an English person, if I do these activities every week, my fluency of English will be better.
If I live in an English speaking country I will not have this problem at all, because I won't have to practice the language, I'll have to use it for everything.

Finally, in my opinion, the best way to learn a language is to go to a country which speaks this language, and live there for a year, for example. Then you can improve the language very well. I have done this experience with French and it works.

User avatar
Mary Brito
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:15 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Mary Brito » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:25 pm

First of all, I think it is difficult because I am ashamed to be wrong and I also worry about what others think of me. Usually when I have the opportunity to speak English my mind goes off, I freeze, and I can't speak fluently to other people. I think that I am looking for a perfection that I cannot have with the level I am studying.

Secondly, many times we believe that if we studied in an English speaking country it would be better; however, there are many people who do that to learn faster and cannot learn because they have the same fears as us.

Finally, in my opinion, if we want to achieve our goal, we have to remove our fears and immerse ourselves in English daily, watching movies, reading, writing ... even talking to ourselves to practice, this will give us confidence, what is missing in putting it into practice.

User avatar
TatianaB
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:06 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by TatianaB » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:21 pm

In my opinion the problems in practising speaking outside class in your own country are:
First of all it's difficult to find English speakers. Secondly whereas we can find a speaker the shame of speaking wrong it´s too big but of course we have to overcome it. My own problem is that in public when someone asks me something in English I'm blocking and can't even say ''Hello'', not because I don't understand or don't know what they are saying, because my mind is blowing up and can't remember any words... it's insane I know.

But on the other hand practising speaking in an English speaking country it's more efficient, however not less difficult. I'm speaking from my own experience of studying Spanish. I have come here only knowing basic words, without practising, I've studied by my own a little. Although it is very difficult but you don't have another option, then to listen, to study and always try to speak. Generally speaking it will help you not only to increase you speaking but at the same time you will overcome your fears and will be more confident.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:41 pm

TatianaB wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:21 pm
In my opinion the problems in practising speaking outside class in your own country are:
First of all, it's difficult to find English speakers. Secondly whereas we can find a speaker the shame of speaking wrong it´s too big but of course we have to overcome it( I don't understand this sentence). My own problem is that in public when someone asks me something in English I'm blocking/ (I have a mental block) and can't even say ''Hello'', not because I don't understand or don't know what they are saying, because my mind is blowing up and can't remember any words... it's insane I know.

But on the other hand, practising speaking in an English speaking country it's more efficient, however not less difficult. I'm speaking from my own experience of studying Spanish. I have come here only knowing basic words, without practising, I've studied by my own a little. Although it is very difficult but you don't have another option, then to listen, to study and always try to speak. Generally speaking, it will help you not only to increase you speaking but at the same time you will overcome your fears and will be more confident.

User avatar
Maria Jose
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:06 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Maria Jose » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:41 pm

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country? In my opinion one of the biggest problems of practicing speaking in your own country is that you don’t have that much accessibility to talk with English speakers, you would have to go to an academy, otherwise I’d be difficult to find people you can talk with. In my case for example, I don’t really have friends that speak English very well and even if I had them it would be weird.

B) an English-speaking country? First of all is you’re not that confident to talk in public because you’re afraid of making grammar mistakes, and also because of the pronunciation..
Sometimes it’s hard for me to understand what the people is saying even though I know it’s something normal, it kind of blocks you, because you can’t keep a convo going.

User avatar
taniamartelog
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:48 am
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by taniamartelog » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 am

Hello Miquel,

Nowadays, knowing English language is a good tool for a lot of things: to have a good job, to be a teacher, to communicate with other people, etc. But, learning this language is not an easy task because it requires a lot of practice. For example, in my case, my problem is listening and speaking because I am a shine person and I don't like to speak in public in English.

Then, I would like to reflect about your initial question: What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in: in your own country? / An English-speaking country?

On the one hand, I believe learn English language in own country is difficult because our vehicular language is Spanish or Catalan and there are few English speakers. To access to talk with the natives, English speakers or people who are learning this language, we should go to language schools, do online courses or meet English people who want to practice with us. Nowadays, we have a lot of problems because the situation is very delicate and people cannot get together. For this reason, I think people people have to find the maximum resources to be able to learn English efficiently, for example, watch movies or series, read short articles, try to speak with a friend or classwork/classmate, etc. Then, with this way, we can improve our English language.

On the second hand, from my point of view, practice the language in English-speaking country is easier than learn in our country. In English-speaking countries, people often speak English all the time. This is beneficial for trainees because we force ourselves to speak in this language and pay more attention to pronunciation, vocabulary, use of grammar, etc. I am sure the first days in an English speaking country are very difficult for us but, step by step, we can learn and improve this second language for us.

User avatar
PabloMartín
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:01 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by PabloMartín » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:13 pm

Hi!
I think that studying English in your country can be quite good, but to get a good fluency speaking English you need to go to an English-speaking country.
But I also think that if you study English in a country where they don't speak your language it can also be harmful because you may be learning English but there may be a moment when you do not understand each other with the other person and you do not know how to write it and it can be a bit overwhelming.
In my opinion I think that what you should do is study in your country and once you have acquired a good level of English, go to another English-speaking country to gain a good fluency. {-:

User avatar
alvaromerino
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by alvaromerino » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:34 pm

Hello!

I will express my opinion for the questions that you have raised:

A) in your own country?

From my point of view the problem is that I don't meet anybody for another country. Nowadays is easy meet foreigners in your city, but also is strange and maybe you are uncomfortable talking with a native-speaker because you don't have the same level that he and for that reason you lose security to do it.

B) an English-speaking country?

I think in that situation, it's for fear. You have fear that people don't understand you and you can't express all you want to express although I believe you will start to talk and lose the fear you have.

In resume, in the two situations the problem is the fear and the insecurity you have to think that you don't have a good level of English or for not knowing how to express yourself.

User avatar
alvaromerino
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:02 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by alvaromerino » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 pm

Hello!
I will expose my opinion the two questions posted.

A) From my point of view the main reason for it's difficult to practice in own country is because you don't meet a foreign person. It's true that it's easier to meet new people thanks to social networks, but also is strange and people distrust and don't do it.

B) The way I see it in this situation is that you have fear to talk with native-speakers and also you feel insecure because you don't have the same level that he. These two reasons makes you feel uncomfortable to talk to people, but I believe if you are in a foreign country you will start at the end.

In resume, I think that the two questions have the same answer, the most difficult to talk outside the class is the fear and insecurity.

User avatar
Andreacaceres
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:33 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Andreacaceres » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 pm

For me, the problems I have in practicing English outside of class are

A) In your own country:
I don't know anyone living in my country who speaks English.

B) an English-speaking country;
My problem is that I don't function normally so I am ashamed.
My uncle lives in South Africa and I could take advantage and talk to him and his partner in English, but when I have a conversation it seems that I am speaking completely in another language so I try to talk to them in Spanish, so that I don't seem to be making a fool of myself.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 am

Xavier wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was (were) some latin people who tried speak (couldn't they?) with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.
Check your use of linkers. e.g although and on the other hand. these are contrast linkers.
Although Greece isn't an English speaking country, I spoke English with everybody
Moreover/besides, I went to New York ......
Therefore I am not ashamed of ..... I am not scared of.....

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:02 pm

taniamartelog wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:32 am
Hello Miquel,
Nowadays, knowing( speaking) English language is a good tool for a lot of things:(such us.../ for instance...) to have a good job, to be a teacher, to communicate with other people, etc. But, learning this language is not an easy task because it requires a lot of practice. For example, in my case, my problem is listening and speaking because I am a shine (shy?)person and I don't like to speak (English) in public in English.

Then, I would like to reflect about (on) your initial question: What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in: in your own country? / An English-speaking country?

On the one hand, I believe learn English language in own country is difficult because our vehicular language is Spanish or Catalan and there are few English speakers. To access to talk with the natives, English speakers or people who are learning this language, we should go to language schools, do online courses or meet English people who want to practice with us. Nowadays, we have a lot of problems because the situation is very delicate and people cannot get together. For this reason, I think people people have to find the maximum resources ( I think people have to optimize resources) to be able to learn English efficiently, for example, watch movies or series, read short articles, try to speak with a friend or classwork/classmate, etc. Then, we can improve our English language. ( watching, reading, speaking ....) We use the gerund )

On the second hand, On the other hand, from my point of view, practice the language in English-speaking country is easier than learn (learning it )in our country. In English-speaking countries, people often speak English all the time. This is beneficial for trainees (second language learners) because we force ourselves to speak in this language and (we) pay more attention to pronunciation, vocabulary, use of grammar, etc. I am sure the first days in an English speaking country are very difficult for us but, step by step, we can learn and improve this second language.


I believe that learning English.... / our mother tongue is....
Speaking with natives (English speakers are natives)

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:06 pm

ramirezy wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:13 pm
I think the main problems to practice speaking English in:

a) in your own country?

The lack of time in speaking it with English speakers, effective methods in language learning, no self-motivated.

b) an English-speaking country?
Be Being afraid to (of making )make mistakes when speaking, spending time with Spanish speakers because they feel more confident with them.

https://inside.tru.ca/2016/11/10/gerund ... finitives/

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:17 pm

AuroraFdez wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:14 am
A) in your own country?

In my opinion, the problem in my country to practice English outside the class is the actual situation, because people can' t meet for the Coronavirus, moreover it is so difficult for me because I am ashamed to talk to my classmates many times. Last year I could sometimes talk to my college at work, he knows a lot of English and many times he spoke to me in English, but now I am in ERTE and I can' t practice with him. On the other hand, I know that there are many options, for example on the Internet, but I feel a bit embarrassed when I don't know anyone....... It's very difficult for me to speak and listen, but I know I have to improve my speaking and listening outside the classroom.

B) an English-speaking country?

As for an English-speaking country, I think it is the best option, because you have to speak to the people in the city ??? in English, because it is their mother tongue and it is the best option for speaking English, everybody speaks English and I would always have to speak English so that they understand me. I guess it's better because you can't speak another language and it would be a good option to improve the fluency and accuracy of my spoken English.
But now we can't travel away from Spain....
actual/ current
I am ashemed of + ing
can't meet people as a result of the ....
ERTE / on the dole/ unemployed
the best option for speaking English/ this sentence isn't clear

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Miguel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 am
Xavier wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was (were) some latin people who tried speak (couldn't they?) with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.
Check your use of linkers. e.g although and on the other hand. these are contrast linkers.
Although Greece isn't an English speaking country, I spoke English with everybody
Moreover/besides, I went to New York ......
Therefore I am not ashamed of ..... I am not scared of.....

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:54 pm

Miguel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:54 pm
Miguel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 am
Xavier wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was (were) some latin people who tried speak (couldn't they?) with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.
Check your use of linkers. e.g although and on the other hand, these are contrast linkers.
Although Greece isn't an English speaking country, I spoke English with everybody
Moreover/besides, I went to New York ......
Therefore I am not ashamed of ..... I am not scared of.....

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Paqui wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm
From my point of view, the problems that may exist to practice speaking in English outside class if you are studying in:

A) in your own country?

The little free time to do other activities. Besides that your panic to speaking English is bigger than your motivation to look for a person to practice.

B) an English-speaking country?

Your fear of making mistakes and making a fool of yourself.
Paqui, making mistakes is vital when you learn a second language. You should never be afraid of making mistakes. Having said that, we shoul make a distinction between mistakes an errors though, a mistake is something you know is wrong, whereas an error is something new that you haven't learnt yet.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:59 pm

Miguel wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:47 am
Xavier wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:49 pm
Speaking personally I've some problems to practice speaking......

A) in your own country?
Mainly because I don't know English people who want to practice with me and, at the same time, correct me while we speak.

B) an English-speaking country?
In this case, I always try to talk in English with other people, although that country isn't English speaking. For instance, I went to Greece 2 years ago and of course, I spoke English with everybody. On the other hand, I went to New York 4 years ago and I spoke English with everybody, although there was (were) some latin people who tried speak (couldn't they?) with me in Spanish. Therefore, I don't have shame to Speaking English.
Check your use of linkers. e.g although and on the other hand. these are contrast linkers.
Although Greece isn't an English speaking country, I spoke English with everybody
Moreover/besides, I went to New York ......
Therefore I am not ashamed of ..... I am not scared of....
.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:05 pm

alvaromerino wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:53 pm
Hello!
I will expose my opinion the two questions posted.

A) From my point of view the main reason for it's difficult to practice in own country is because you don't meet a foreign person. It's true that it's easier to meet new people thanks to social networks, but also is strange and people distrust and don't do it.


B) The way I see it in this situation is that you have fear to talk with native-speakers and also you feel insecure because you don't have the same level that he. These two reasons makes you feel uncomfortable to talk to people, but I believe if you are in a foreign country you will start at the end.??????

In resume, I think that the two questions have the same answer, the most difficult to talk outside the class is the fear and insecurity.
Alvaro, your writing seems directly tranlated from your mother tongue, you need to distance from your mother tongue when you write in a different language. Some sentences are difficult to understand.
For instance, A) From my point of view, the main reason for it's difficult to practice in own country is because you don't meet a foreign person. It's true that it's easier to meet new people thanks to social networks, but also is strange and people distrust and don't do it

User avatar
javiglezb
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 am
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by javiglezb » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi everybody,

Obviously, it's harder to practice english in Spain than in the UK or USA. Our language isn't english and spanish is such a strong language in the world with 700 million people of speakers. So I think that spaniards, in general, don't think they need english to live. And I have to say that during last century it was true, but since Spain joined to the European Union and the globalization has got stronger and stronger... nobody disputes the fact that english language became the "lingua franca" in all the world.

Anyway, if you want to practice english, you'll find the way. It doesn't matter you live in Spain, England or the United States. For example, in Barcelona there are loads of places where you can go and practice english with native speakers who, at the same time, want to learn spanish from you. It's called meetup and it's really useful to improve your english skills! However, right now, with the coronavirus crisis that's not possible and everything, including that, has become more difficult, but you could practice wiht a classmate, watch movies or series in english or maybe try to meet some native speaker no social networks.

Finally, as I said before, it's easier to practice english in an english speaking country. The main reason is clear: everybody speaks english and you need the language to survive. It means you would be living the language instead studying it or going somewhere to try to practice it (like the meetups). And, in my opinion, when you live the language, you don't forget easily what you learned.

User avatar
MartaP
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:31 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by MartaP » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 am

Miguel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:42 am
What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:
A) in your own country?
I reckon that this is the cheaper option to improve my speaking, but the main problem is to find someone who we could have a coincidence on the same free time. In this case, it’s important speaking with someone sympathetic who could correct speaking mistakes without making me feel embarrassed.
For me, the best option will be to find a people person who we could meet of a relaxing way to speak while having a coffee or a cup of tea once a week. For this reason, I’m wondering if Eoi with Normalització Linguística could create the “linguistic partners” where we could share our mother tongue with English people. Where we could teach our language: Catala or Spanish and learn more fluent English speaking

B) an English-speaking country?
Personally, I believe it’s the best option to practice speaking English, even if it's a bit more expensive than the other option.
By one hand, in this case the unique option to speak is in English and I’m sure that I will improve my speaking in a short time. Although you need to have time and money to travel.
But on the other hand, it also has some issues, it’s an expensive option because you have to buy flights, rent an apartment or room, and also you need to have free time to travel where you spend your holiday days doing this goal.

User avatar
rafaarazola
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by rafaarazola » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:13 pm

A) in your own country?

From my point of view at this moment is very complicted since the health situation prevents us from meeting with diferent people to practice English. Last year we met on Fridays in a coffe shop to talk for an hour in English with classmates but nowadays is impossible. I think it is a problem for me and for my learning.
On the other hand in my job I don't use english lenguage so it's more compliated.

B) an English-speaking country?

In my opinion is the best form to learning english. Many people take month-long courses in English-speaking cities and they say is when they have learned the most. I hope in the future to be able to do a course of this type, it would surely be an incredible experience.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:09 am

MartaP wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:30 am
Miguel wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:42 am
What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:
A) in your own country?
I reckon that this is the cheaper option to improve my speaking, but the main problem is to find someone who we could have a coincidence on the same free time. In this case, it’s important speaking with someone sympathetic who could correct speaking mistakes without making me feel embarrassed.
For me, the best option will be to find a people person who we could meet of a relaxing way to speak while having a coffee or a cup of tea once a week. For this reason, I’m wondering if Eoi with Normalització Linguística could create the “linguistic partners” where we could share our mother tongue with English people. Where we could teach our language: Catala or Spanish and learn more fluent English speaking

B) an English-speaking country?
Personally, I believe it’s the best option to practice speaking English, even if it's a bit more expensive than the other option.
By one hand, in this case the unique option to speak is in English and I’m sure that I will improve my speaking in a short time. Although you need to have time and money to travel.
But on the other hand, it also has some issues, it’s an expensive option because you have to buy flights, rent an apartment or room, and also you need to have free time to travel where you spend your holiday days doing this goal.

Hi Marta, "the cheapest option" "to find someone with the same free time as me" " it is important to speak to someone who is
patient " " to find a people person who I can have a chat with while we are having a tea or a coffee..."
" linguistic partner" I don't know what the EOI could offer, but I will find out.
" more expensive than other options"
"doing this goal"???
Last edited by Miguel on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:26 am

rafaarazola wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:13 pm
A) in your own country?

From my point of view at this moment is very complicted since the health situation prevents us from meeting with diferent people to practice English. Last year we met on Fridays in a coffe shop to talk for an hour in English with classmates but nowadays is impossible. I think it is a problem for me and for my learning.
On the other hand in my job I don't use english lenguage so it's more compliated.

B) an English-speaking country?

In my opinion is the best form to learning english. Many people take month-long courses in English-speaking cities and they say is when they have learned the most. I hope in the future to be able to do a course of this type, it would surely be an incredible experience.

"nowadays it is complicated "

"different" spelling.
on the other hand is contrast linkers, here you should chosen Besides "
" the best way to learn English"
Thanks Rafa

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:26 am

Miguel wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:26 am
rafaarazola wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:13 pm
A) in your own country?

From my point of view at this moment is very complicted since the health situation prevents us from meeting with diferent people to practice English. Last year we met on Fridays in a coffe shop to talk for an hour in English with classmates but nowadays is impossible. I think it is a problem for me and for my learning.
On the other hand in my job I don't use english lenguage so it's more compliated.

B) an English-speaking country?

In my opinion is the best form to learning english. Many people take month-long courses in English-speaking cities and they say is when they have learned the most. I hope in the future to be able to do a course of this type, it would surely be an incredible experience.

"nowadays it is complicated "
"different" spelling.
on the other hand is contrast linkers, here you should chosen Besides "
" the best way to learn English"
Thanks Rafa

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:36 am

javiglezb wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:35 pm
Hi everybody,

Obviously, it's harder to practice english in Spain than in the UK or USA. Our language isn't english and spanish is such a strong language in the world with 700 million people of speakers. So I think that spaniards, in general, don't think they need english to live. And I have to say that during last century it was true, but since Spain joined to the European Union and the globalization has got stronger and stronger... nobody disputes the fact that english language became the "lingua franca" in all the world.

Anyway, if you want to practice english, you'll find the way. It doesn't matter you live in Spain, England or the United States. For example, in Barcelona there are loads of places where you can go and practice english with native speakers who, at the same time, want to learn spanish from you. It's called meetup and it's really useful to improve your english skills! However, right now, with the coronavirus crisis that's not possible and everything, including that, has become more difficult, but you could practice wiht a classmate, watch movies or series in english or maybe try to meet some native speaker no social networks.

Finally, as I said before, it's easier to practice english in an english speaking country. The main reason is clear: everybody speaks english and you need the language to survive. It means you would be living the language instead studying it or going somewhere to try to practice it (like the meetups). And, in my opinion, when you live the language, you don't forget easily what you learned.
Javi, don't forget to use capital letters "English" "Spanish" etc " the last century" "Spain joined.." "the English language became..."
"it doesn't matter WHETHER you live in ....."
Excellent Javi

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:39 am

Andreacaceres wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:44 pm
For me, the problems I have in practicing English outside of class are

A) In your own country:
I don't know anyone living in my country who speaks English.

B) an English-speaking country;
My problem is that I don't function normally so I am ashamed.
My uncle lives in South Africa and I could take advantage and talk to him and his partner in English, but when I have a conversation it seems that I am speaking completely in another language ???? well you are, if you speak English to them so I try to talk to them in Spanish, so that I don't seem to be making a fool of myself.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:46 am

Luisa Gamez wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:23 pm
I’ve been studying English for several years and I’m used to struggling with some problems in practising speaking outside class in my own country. Firstly, as an adult student, I don't have much time and It can be difficult finding people that wanted to spend their time talking to me or whose schedules fit my schedules. Secondly, if you get appointments with other students, but you have a similar level, it could be difficult correcting your mistakes. Besides, the current pandemic limits relationships in a face to face context. So I usually prefer activities like the speaking corner, where there is a teacher that guides the session and I'm longing for Halloween's special activity at school.

On the other hand, although my experience in an English-speaking country has been shorter/ very short so far, I think I can get a conclusion: When you are in a real context, accuracy is less important than communication. I visited London years ago, and I had to use my broken English as a tool to get tickets for museums and transport, ask for directions, and order food. I had to talk to kind people, but also with stupid people that didn’t want to understand even by signs and made me feel weird and silly, and I wished the earth would swallow me up. However, even awful people can unintentionally help you to improve your English. {-;
Luisa, really well written, excellent work!!

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm

gpujol wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:11 pm
For me the problemes that I find to practice speaking English outside the class are:

A) In you own country:
The principal problem that I have is the motivation, because I have some friends who speaking English very well, but when I can meet with them it's difficult and strange TO speak English TO THEM, BECAUSE we always comunicate in Catalan. However, I have one friend from Moroco and we only speaking in English because he doesn't speak Spanish.

B) an English-speaking country;
I think, in this case it's totally different, because the prinicipal problem is the embarrassment and the fear to do mistakes, moreover I felt very ashamed when people can't understand me.

To sum up, I think that I need more motivation and try to lost my shy and if I have some mistakes, learn of them!
Hi Gloria, "who speak" "We only speak..." " the main problem is that you feel scared of making mistakes" " I feel very ashamed "
" and lose my shyness " " if I make mistakes, I should learn from them"

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Jose Antonio wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm
The main problems in practice speaking english outside class

a) in my class:
Is that most of people don't speak english, they speak Spanish /Catalan, and if you want to speak this language, you have to meet with for example, english/american people to practice it or with spanish people that want to learn it and speak with you in english.
Besides, in the Spanish TV, a lot of american/british series, films, TV Shows, are dubbed in Spanish instead ofBROADCASTING THEM be broadcast in Original Version and subtitled in Castilian/ SPANISH. This fact makes us not get used to hearing in english/ English

b) an english speaking country
On the one hand, sometimes, when you finish your english class and you meet with a people of your same nationality, you don't speak or practice this language, and on the other hand, if you live with people of different nationalities, you can improve your english, because you are obligated to speak in this.language

User avatar
anabelalhama
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:28 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by anabelalhama » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm

What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

a) in your own country

Academy classes are not enough to overcome an intermediate level in a short time, you have to spend a lot of time to learn the language by watching movies or series, listening to songs, reading many books and magazines while if you are going to learn the language in an English-speaking country, the speed of learning is much faster since you live the language and you have all the time opportunity to practice it and learn new expressoins and words.
Last edited by anabelalhama on Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Miguel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:35 am
Status: Teacher of English

Re: English as a second language

Post by Miguel » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:02 am

anabelalhama wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm
What problems are there in practising speaking outside class if you are studying in:

a) in your own country

Textbooks and classes aren’t going to keep you up to date with slang or teach you how to not embarrass yourself in front of your new friends. The best way to be completely socially-savvy in another language is to live it.

b) an English-speaking country

If your english/English level isn't too high, It is difficult to deal with native speakers and you can feel desmotivated.However, I think that this way is the best to improve my speaking skills.
https://www.ef.com/wwen/blog/language/1 ... tter-home/ :?: :?:

Post Reply