11%
Completely on your own
11%

Total votes: 9

rosario

How do you learn English?

Post by rosario »

Hi folks,

I was wondering, how you learn English. I mean through group classes, individual classes, or maybe apps...? Nowadays there are so many options!
You can also write here why you chose to use one method instead of another.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: How do you learn English?

Post by Joe »

rosario wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:44 pm Hi folks,

I was wondering, how you learn English. I mean through group classes, individual classes, or maybe apps...? Nowadays there are so many options!
You can also write here why you chose to use one method instead of another.
Thanks for the question.

If I learn a language I tend not to use apps. I learn through individual classes (or sometimes group classes) and classes online too. Though I don't use learning apps, I do use dictionary apps, some of which are mindblowingly good (for example the Paiboon Thai-English dictionary). Google Translate is also handy sometimes. I also practise with Google Maps and follow directions in the target language. And of course, just general speaking where possible (taxis, shops, restaurants etc) and reading and films etc.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
rosario

Post by rosario »

Why do you prefer individual lessons over group classes?
JoshChow

Post by JoshChow »

I saw someone sharing their English learning experience online that they watch the Tv show or movie twice, once with subtitle, and look up the vocabularies, then the second time without subtitle. They prefer doing this with Tv show as it's way shorter than movies. And, I experimented this approach, that' really works for me and I keep taking this method ever since.
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

Not quite the same but this girl in Romania explains how she covers up subtitles on her TV:
https://youtu.be/dLAXiMuQNrY?t=601
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Firefox »

And actually this whole series is about how people all over the world learn English.

https://www.englishclub.com/esl-videos/

WWW as in Well.Worth.Watching
DavidSmith

Post by DavidSmith »

watching various training videos
HaLai

Post by HaLai »

To improve my English, I listen to radio almost eveyday. I also practise dictating and read newspaper. I love exercises on Englishclub so much. There are abundant of offerings that I can both learn English and open my mind about the factual knowledges.
MHafis

Post by MHafis »

I have been learning english for 14 years. But my english still bad. I wonder because I never use english in my live. But now I want to improve my english. every day I listen english video, read a lot in english, and write in english too. but until know I cant speak english very well.
opera

Post by opera »

hey,
The way I see it, to learn English (or any other language), you have to hear, write and speak the language.
You have to do this most of the time, even if you are alone, even if you are with someone who doesn't want to speak, or whatever...
My personal tip is to watch films or series in VO with English subtitles.hey,
The way I see it, to learn English (or any other language), you have to hear, write and speak the language.
You have to do this most of the time, even if you are alone, even if you are with someone who doesn't want to speak, or whatever...
My personal tip is to watch films or series in VO with English subtitles.
reyhan

Post by reyhan »

Hello to everyone!

I'm Reyhan. I am a final year students in the department of English Language Teaching in Turkey. I am glad to be here.

This topic caught my attention because I have barely learned English. I was someone who had a very bad English course in the middle school. Later, in the preparatory class at the university where I won, they taught English through games and activities and I loved it! I have understood that the reason why my English is bad until now is the prescriptive and boring English teaching. At this point, the most important thing was that our teachers were native. They all came from abroad. Then "why not teach English when I love it so much?" I said, and I won department of the English Language Teaching. For improve my English, I continued with movies via English subtitles, just like the @Opera said. I used some tutorial apps to close gap between my classmates and me. The sites I can recommend in this sense; Voscreen, Englishcentral, Collocaion for IELTS and Enwo. I can inform those who want detailed information about apps.

In short, I learned English first with native teachers in a group class and then with movies and apps. Of course, I am also indebted to my teachers at my current university, who helped me improve my level after learning and provided me with many opportunities, and even made me join this group right now!
englishisnice

Post by englishisnice »

I think I mostly learned my English when I was little and watched a lot of English cartoons then later youtube and then went to school and learned all the grammar! :-D
rosario

Post by rosario »

I learn English trying to watch some tv-series and talk with two people every week. But I think I am not improving anymore because I do not learn English actively anymore. I just apply what I know. Sometimes I learn some new words and that is it. I think learning a language is also an active "activity" and less passive. So you should spend more time. Do you prefer more individual classes or group classes?