Teaching English to Young Learners

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

ezgiisk

Teaching English to Young Learners

Post by ezgiisk »

How can a child who learns English as a second language use this language more actively in daily life?
ecemgunay

Re: Teaching English to Young Learners

Post by ecemgunay »

Hello Ezgi teacher. In my opinion, if we use the words we use in daily life to the child in English, a child can use this language more actively in his/her daily life. For example, instead of saying "su" you can say "water". The more they hear this language, the easier it will be for them to acquire it. so we should use daily words in daily life for the children.
Lexxisriennnl

Post by Lexxisriennnl »

In my opinion, the best way to help young learners is to engage them in some kind of game. In such a case, they will definitely participate in the learning activities (cause they differ a lot from the standard ones).
Also, video materials can be a great additional source. The main issue - not to make them bored. Learning should be exciting.
NicolePan

Post by NicolePan »

I have an internship experience in an English preschool education institution. I think a good way to teach young learners is: 1. Repeat the content of the teaching 2. Use interesting teaching props to assist, combining visual memory and brain memory
Education Shapes Future.Teaching in China, help others shapes a better future.
BrianStapleton

Post by BrianStapleton »

Immersion or Obsession

My son began to learn English when he was 6 years old (Korean is his first language). In the last 3 years he has become fluent because he lives in the US and goes to school here now.

My first ESL student was a French Caribbean 17 year old. She did a homestay with us for a month but when I explained the option she enthusiastically agreed to come back and live with my parents for her senior year of high school. In that year of attending an American high school she greatly improved her English by sheer immersion.

I taught a couple sisters in Korea who had spent 3 years in Australia before coming to my academy. They spoke solid Australian English and related to me how when they first arrived in Sydney they spoke no English at all. Going to a public school in an Anglophone society did them well.

I only know two out of the few thousand students I've ever had who learned nearly flawless English without living in the Anglosphere. Those two boys, unrelated but from the same town, absorbed large quantities of English movies, songs, novels, etc each day for years on their own volition, their moms didn't make them study.

That's why I think there are two reliable ways to master English as a second language learner, immersion or obsession. The third way is to be from a Germanic country, like Germany or the Netherlands, where the native language is already similar to English and there are many ways to learn English in school, the media, and from foreigners.
I teach 1-hour English classes online and correct essays with comments. Classes are ongoing, weekly, and flexible.
Contact me via private message to schedule a class.

https://youtube.com/@brianstapleton5148?feature=shared
Tim Cahill

Post by Tim Cahill »

I will share my experience about how I taught my son basic knowledge before elementary school. I'm a single father, it just so happened. I spend most of my time at work, there is no time to teach my son, to put it mildly. Somehow on the Internet I came across materials for teaching children

https://wunderkiddy.com/activity/christmas-gift-2

I decided to try, and suddenly it will somehow affect my son's education in a positive way for my son. I will say right away I have never regretted it. We did this: when I went to work, I left him these materials and, to my surprise, he took them himself and studied them. After only a couple of weeks, it could be said that he was ready to go to elementary school. After all, the Internet was not invented for nothing.
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

Immersion is the most effective approach. Young learners pick up vocabulary from their environment.

Make it as fun and encouraging as possible.
allysg

Post by allysg »

BrianStapleton wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:22 pm

I only know two out of the few thousand students I've ever had who learned nearly flawless English without living in the Anglosphere. Those two boys, unrelated but from the same town, absorbed large quantities of English movies, songs, novels, etc each day for years on their own volition, their moms didn't make them study.
It's fascinating! I think it's just the exception of all children. It is very rare to meet those who love to read. independent learning with enthusiasm is the key to success.
Codes: the best promo codes and discount coupons
stepbystep

Post by stepbystep »

We make videos specialized for teaching super simple English concepts like colors, counting, weather, emotions, shapes, etc. for young children (specifically 4~7 years old). Feel free to use our videos in your classroom (link in my signature). We are making a lot of new videos now so subscribe to see the newest videos as they come out.
Owner of the Youtube channel specializing in English videos for Kindergartners:
https://www.youtube.com/@StepbyStepEnglishSchool