Childish destructive behaviour

Feel free to post here :)

Moderator: EC

Charlene

Childish destructive behaviour

Post by Charlene »

So I was in Xining, Qinghai province at a "buxiban" with white management that had obviously come from a damaged home. Not suited to be in the position "they" were in. Emotionally damaged and over bearing and over controlling. I could see this management was not happy in its own skin, not a people person at all, yet somehow overseeing a few foreign teachers. Most of us were black and I think he had chosen black teachers as he felt happier ordering us. He back stabbed a lot, made snide nasty remarks about his fellow Chinese colleagues or other foreign teachers he seemed to feed off this constant negative vibe he exuded. Threatening words saying things like he has a lot of brothers and mocking the gay teachers there. The negatively goes beyond country borders even, exerting this negativity if he felt you had wronged him. God knew what went on in that mind but it had little to do with reality.

I think because he felt he had complete control over the foreigners he could do anything. The Chinese management had assigned him to deal with us yet he did not have any real power which he complained a lot about. Moving us about between branches for no reason and with no warning. Spreading malicious rumours. Pretending to fight for ourside of things but nothing ever came of it, like not having any kind of insurance.

Im sure this is common in some form or other but this is the first time I have come across such childishly negative behaviour from a person in a position of responsibility. My question is what should I or we do if this situation is come across again?

If I could say be careful if you go to the smaller cities in China. You may meet one of these out of control who thinks they are in control and over react to the smallest thing. I hold nothing against them. I know it is easy to lose balance when living abroad for many years. Are there tell tail signs one can look for when first contacting people like this during the recruiting process??

Many thank
Charlene