about a special night

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Marzieh

about a special night

Post by Marzieh »

"Yalda" is a very special night for most Iranians. It is referred to the last night of fall (20th of December) which is the longest night of the year. Iranians celebrate this night with special ceremonies; they do not sleep during this night and await the sunrise, go to their relatives and eat special fruits such as watermelon and pomegranate (because the red color was associated with the Sun), melon and grapes. They also read Hafez's poetries and wish each other a good and happy winter.
The word "Yalda" originates from Syrian and means "Birth". Years ago Yalda was a religious ceremony. According to ancient legends it was believed that the Sun (which was worshiped by people) and Devil fight during this night. The Sun wins this fight and then in the morning it is up again. That is why the first day of week was called "Sunday". So you see why Yalda is supposed to be a special night for Iranians.
kimo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: about a special night

Post by kimo »

thank u , i have got new information...
B 4 ME
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Thank you Marzieh for such an interesting topic ;)
Miss. Ladybird
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Miss. Ladybird »

A great topic. I didn't know about this holiday before. I only heard about the Nirose. I think it's the first day in spring, right. :roll: :?:
:arrow: I hope you will talk about it too.
Marzieh

Post by Marzieh »

Miss. Ladybird wrote:A great topic. I didn't know about this holiday before. I only heard about the Nirose. I think it's the first day in spring, right. :roll: :?:
:arrow: I hope you will talk about it too.
I `ll talk about it when it comes!
mr_Love
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by mr_Love »

thabks for this information :mrgreen: