First time trying poetry in a while

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

konarktriv

First time trying poetry in a while

Post by konarktriv »

I have Dyspraxia (developmental coordination disorder) and writing has always been my release when verbal communication doesn't quite go as planned.

Anyway I wrote this little poem today:

Not a single one of us was ready To be thrown into this brand new life So much illness, isolation and job loss. The stress causing arguments, and tension that could be cut with a knife.

The realisation that things will never be the same again Hits like a smack in the face. Alcohol consumed by the bucket load, In the hopes that it will mask the anxiety, that seems too much to be able to face.

But when you finally begin to settle You realise that something positive lies ahead. You begin to understand that you had your priorities all wrong And this period of isolation helps to sort things out in your head.

You begin to realise that friendship and family is so important And that a job is just a means to an end. Do you really need to spend so much money on a night out, Or would your time be just as well spent having coffee with a friend?

Although it's so hard to see when it's disguised as something so tragic We've been given a second chance to get this right To see what really matters As we are in the throes of a horrendous health and financial plight.

Employment, hugs and nights out will come again, And our worries will then seem as light as a feather. In the meantime, reach out if you need and be kind always, For we are all in this together.
Faanz

Re: First time trying poetry in a while

Post by Faanz »

i like your poem
"Where there is life there is hope"
mosamaasghar

Re: First time trying poetry in a while

Post by mosamaasghar »

Thank you for sharing your beautiful poem with me. It is clear that you have a talent for writing, and it's wonderful to hear that it has been a source of comfort for you in difficult times.