Excellence in academic writing

Add your poems, essays and short stories here. Please do not post work by other writers.

Moderator: EC

Dexif

Excellence in academic writing

Post by Dexif »

Hi guys! How are my chances to improve my writing skills when I'm a total newbie?

I need to submit a personal statement soon, but I have no idea how to write it...
Dexif

Re: Excellence in academic writing

Post by Dexif »

UPD: Well, I hoped to find someone here, but I again have to rely on myself only. It seems that I found a really good guide, but I see I need too much time to practice my writing...
valdis

Post by valdis »

Writing is a creative process in itself, no matter what topic you're working on. Writing and reading are connected. If you're thinking about how to improve your writing skills, you should read a lot more books. I love to read and when I have free time I read books, it's a great way to spend time in a useful way. Despite the fact that I read a lot, I find it very difficult to put my thoughts in writing. It is very difficult for me to write an essay or a paper. It is easier for me to find someone to write a paper for me. I have tried many times to do it myself, but I do not succeed.
SitangCampus
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by SitangCampus »

As a learner myself, I don't think I can offer you any valuable advice. But one thing is for sure, writing skills can only be improved through writing.
How about writing a short essay, telling us what you do in your everyday life?
It may sound easy, but it is not so to catch the heart of the reader.
So, what are you waiting for?
Astropower

Post by Astropower »

Hey, Dexif!
I have no doubt that this is possible)
I understand you like no one else, especially when it was time to write an essay, I ran into this {-:
I found different works, essays, abstracts, documents, compared them, compiled and based on them I wrote my own.
I think you can do the same with personal statement :prof:
Convel

Post by Convel »

If you want to learn how to write, just start with reading books. When I started writing, I began with finding a good subject to write about. Something I liked reading about, than I just let my fantasy go. Just imagine a world you want to life in, and start describing it!
Mr Greg
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Mr Greg »

Reading more examples is the first step. Exposure to different examples of writing can expand your vocabulary and gain an insight to writing structures.

Then practice, practice, practice. If you are looking to write personal statements, start with the introduction.