'Don't Lose Your Fire' meaning

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

ninanna

'Don't Lose Your Fire' meaning

Post by ninanna » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi there,
I'm Dutch and therefore some English phrases make no sense to me.
I recently came across the phrase: "Don't lose your fire", but I can't find the definition anywhere.
It seems like it has something to do with staying motivated, but in this case it was used as a marketing phrase for a wood burning oven. Does that phrase change meaning in such a situation, does it make any sense?

Joe
Protector of the Boards
Protector of the Boards

Re: 'Don't Lose Your Fire' meaning

Post by Joe » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:27 pm

To my knowledge there is no such idiom in English, though I would interpret it much as you do. It would really help to have the exact context, ie all the surrounding text (if any). Given that it was for an oven, maybe they meant it literally. Or maybe it was just a bad translation. Who knows—without the full context?
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven

CyrilFrance

Re: 'Don't Lose Your Fire' meaning

Post by CyrilFrance » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi ninanna. I searched and i find that : Don't lose your fire means when you start to love or like something it's can be a dream it's can be a passion" hold your fire" is a synonym and means when you feel lonely or sad or bad.. Remember this things and stay on your way to keep your motivation going ;)