Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Post Reply
Noface
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Status: Learner of English

Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Noface » Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm

This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

So here’s a sentence, about the use of the indefinite article, that goes:
Use the with names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

Why is it not phrased as “Use the with the names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.”?

I justify myself with the idea that the example does not just say, “use the with names.” Rather, it specifies the noun names with ...of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

What I mean is, it doesn’t just say names but names of geographical areas. Because we are talking about specific names, shouldn’t we use the?

patron
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:54 pm
Status: Other

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by patron » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 pm

if you go to this website https://www.usingenglish.com/ and search for "the use of articles before of-phrases" it may help you.

Noface
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Noface » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Thank you! (:

patron
Member
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:54 pm
Status: Other

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by patron » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 pm

Did it help?

User avatar
Firefox
Rising Star
Rising Star
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:57 am
Status: Other

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Firefox » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am

Noface wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm
This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

So here’s a sentence, about the use of the indefinite article, that goes:
Use the with names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

Why is it not phrased as “Use the with the names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.”?

I justify myself with the idea that the example does not just say, “use the with names.” Rather, it specifies the noun names with ...of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

What I mean is, it doesn’t just say names but names of geographical areas. Because we are talking about specific names, shouldn’t we use the?
You could also check out the ZERO article on EnglishClub:
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/det ... rticle.htm

I think the very first case on that page counts: Use zero article with plural nouns and general meaning (in your example, "names").

Noface
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Noface » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:49 am

patron wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:09 pm
Did it help?
Yes, it kinda did:)

Noface
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:31 pm
Status: Learner of English

Re: Grammar: Use of the indefinite article in English

Post by Noface » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:50 am

Firefox wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am
Noface wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:53 pm
This is my first post. And I am very new to this forum. So I hope I am posting it in the right place.

So here’s a sentence, about the use of the indefinite article, that goes:
Use the with names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

Why is it not phrased as “Use the with the names of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.”?

I justify myself with the idea that the example does not just say, “use the with names.” Rather, it specifies the noun names with ...of geographical areas, rivers, mountain ranges, groups of islands, canals, and oceans.

What I mean is, it doesn’t just say names but names of geographical areas. Because we are talking about specific names, shouldn’t we use the?
You could also check out the ZERO article on EnglishClub:
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/det ... rticle.htm

I think the very first case on that page counts: Use zero article with plural nouns and general meaning (in your example, "names").
Thank you. I’ll check this out.

Post Reply