british and american english

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Is she??????????????? :? :? :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:I have to obey the wise one. There is nothing I can do about it. She's cutting off all my resouces. :cry:
But it's my job, otherwise the WISEST ONE will cut off all my resources :roll:
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

So, let's return to the topic OK?, is there any BIG difference between British and American English? :? :?
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

You bet there is!! Image
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Idalia, Dixie has a violent dislike towards me because she loves me but is not capable of achieving that love. So she does things to hurt me instead because a jealous rage scorches through her fingers everytime she sees something written by me. The poor girl.....

Isn't that right, Dixie dear?

But yes, let us get back to the topic. Aside from the obvious accent between British and American English, words have different meanings as well.

For example:

American - hood - trunk - truck
British - bonnet - boot - lorry

Spelling also has a role in the differences such as:

Words ending in –or (American) –our (British) color, colour, humor, humour, flavor, flavour, etc.

Words ending in –ize (American) –ise (British) recognize, recognise, patronize, patronise, etc.

So you see, there is no correct English between the two. But if you learn one form, make sure you stick to that
form or you will only confuse yourself.

Personally, I cannot distinguish between Australian and British English nor can I tell the difference between Canadian and American English but let me tell you this, Canadian English is the best because I am Canadian! :mrgreen:
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Thank you so much for the explanation Unkownsu, sometimes it's difficult for us ( I mean people like me, who haven't been abroad) to distinguish the difference between British and American english. I knew about the accent of course, but I didn't have any idea that some words have a different meanings.

May I ask you a question? Do speak french too? In Canada french is spoken as well, right?

:mrgreen:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Parlez vous Francais? I don't parlez Francais.

Although French is an official language of Canada, I don't speak it. From what I know, learning French is mandatory up until grade 9 (half-way through high school). I never did like the language but because I live in Canada and French is used frequently, I have a very basic understanding of written French.

But hey, we can't talk about French anymore. It's way off topic!
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

Oops!!!! you're right, sorry :oops: :oops:

No I don't speak french either, even when my last name "Herver" comes from France
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:Idalia, Dixie has a violent dislike towards me because she loves me but is not capable of achieving that love. So she does things to hurt me instead because a jealous rage scorches through her fingers everytime she sees something written by me. The poor girl.....

Isn't that right, Dixie dear?
Hahahaha Image Don't mislead Idalia! Who's the one who does things to hurt the other?? :D Who starts new threads about them telling the others how you hate them? Ohhh you're so naughty, come here I will spank you :twisted: hihihihihihih
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Dixie, you are going off topic. Could you please return to the topic question. I wouldn't want you to get kicked out of EC by the wisest one, ya know.
Dixie
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Dixie »

Unknownsu wrote:Dixie, you are going off topic. Could you please return to the topic question. I wouldn't want you to get kicked out of EC by the wisest one, ya know.
yl88
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by yl88 »

i would prefer british english !!!
RedRose

Post by RedRose »

American English is more legible. as a beginner, I love it so much!

some people told me, if a person is proficient at english, then he/she would love american english more than British english, because BE is Shakespeare-ish language, so it is more elegant and authentic. even so, I still love AE.
idalia
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by idalia »

I prefer American English too. Perhaps that is because USA is near of my country. :roll: :roll: :roll: