Hello paradise, I am also learning American Literature. It is really difficult because we have to find out deep meanings what authors hide under words. I have just finished my term paper of A farewell to arms by Hemingway. Here is my experience sharing with you.
To analyse a passage from a novel, you must:
1. Read throughout the novel to master its plot.
2. Define the passage you have to analyse.
3. Ensure that you read the passage carefully and completely understand its massage.
4.Underline important words or phrases in the passage.
5.Find out the arts which are used in this passage such as metaphor,metonymy,personalising etc. You should find out some symbols if they are there.
6.Concentrate on what you have to analyse. Don't be so greedy or you may digress.
7.Link your passage to the around passages to analyse more deeply.
8. You aslo should discover the setting of the novel and the passage.
9.You may use other references but don't copy them. The best is expressing your real feelings and thinkings of the passage and the novel.
10. Don't forget to check your essay when you finish as you may make some grammar or spelling mistakes.
That is my experience, hope you find something useful.