anyone pls help me with this assignment

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

firstdate

anyone pls help me with this assignment

Post by firstdate »

“Some companies produce newsletters especially for customers or members of a certain industry. These are a good way of keeping people informed about the latest products, news and developments within specific sectors of the industry. You have been asked by your superior to write a minimum of three articles for the company’s newsletter”. ( Articles should be accompanied with related pictures to support it).

Things that could be included in the company newsletter:
• Company Dinner
• Trips
• Newlyweds
• Newborns
• Launch of a new product
• New appointments
• Etc.

I just wonder dunno where I can start to write and what I have to write, anyone plz, just give me some idea or wirte some short essay to let me know how to do it, thz a lot because I have to write an essay for this assignment but the essay should be approximately 1000 words in length. So I just want to get some ideas from all of you. thz a lot
I love book and food hehe
ProfessorVerb
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: anyone pls help me with this assignment

Post by ProfessorVerb »

firstdate wrote:“Some companies produce newsletters especially for customers or members of a certain industry. These are a good way of keeping people informed about the latest products, news and developments within specific sectors of the industry. You have been asked by your superior to write a minimum of three articles for the company’s newsletter”. (Articles should be accompanied with related pictures to support it).

Things that could be included in the company newsletter:
• Company Dinner
• Trips
• Newlyweds
• Newborns
• Launch of a new product
• New appointments
• Etc.

I just wonder dunno where I can start to write and what I have to write, anyone plz, just give me some idea or wirte some short essay to let me know how to do it, thz a lot because I have to write an essay for this assignment but the essay should be approximately 1000 words in length. So I just want to get some ideas from all of you. thz a lot
This might help; the following is a completely original essay (written by me in 2003).

"So you want to take a cruise?"

Today, a “cruise” is simply a pleasure voyage that usually returns to its port of origin (Foster, 1990, p. 328). While current cruise liners have an enormous array of features that make the trip more enjoyable for passengers, the future is going to require companies to reassess what their passengers want from such a trip.

Feature 1: Improvements in Amenities Offered. According to John B. Woodward, the cruise ship itself is a descendant of transatlantic ocean liners which have seen many of their services preempted by air travel. In fact, even into the 1990s, many cruise ships were liners that had been built in the 1950s and '60s and subsequently adapted to tropical cruising through largely superficial alterations such as the addition of swimming pools and other amenities to suit warm-latitude cruising areas. The majority of cruise ships now in service, however, were built after 1970 specifically for the cruise industry. Because most of them are designed for large numbers of passengers (perhaps several thousand), they are characterized by high superstructures of many decks, and, since their principal routes lie in warm seas, they are typically painted white all over.

These two characteristics provide cruise ships with a “wedding cake” appearance that is easily recognizable from great distances. The existing configurations of many cruise ships makes them very noisy for many passengers. For instance, most cruise ships carry a large number of motor launches aboard for the ferrying ashore of passengers. Many cruise ships also have stern ramps (much like those found on cargo-carrying roll-on/roll-off ships) in order to facilitate the transfer of passengers to the launches and to serve as docking facilities for small sporting boats. These are the components that constitute a feature that must be addressed by future cruise-ship designers: providing the maximum in comfort and enjoyment for passengers in the future (Woodward, 2003). The trend towards larger cruise ships will also create more competition with land-based resorts on land; some cruise ships in the future will include mini-golf, aquariums and “even ice rinks” (Rising popularity of cruising creates new opportunities for Northern Pacific ports, 2003).

Feature 2: Improved Pricing. According to Foster, in the same manner that a Holiday Inn is different than a Ritz-Carlton, cruises are different than ordinary travel packages. Nevertheless, there is a wide range of cruise opportunities currently available for practically any budget, reflecting cruise lines’ recognition that more people might take advantage of the benefits of cruises if they were within their price range: “Some cruises capture the sense of first-class travel, with large, luxurious staterooms, long and varied itineraries, and single-meal sittings. Others are more lighthearted and fun, with a more tourist-class feel” (Foster, 1990, p. 194).

David Goetzl reports that these concerns became all-the-more pronounced in the wake of the terrorist attacks of 2001. “The cruise industry rode the economic high tide in the late 1990s and continued to make its overall fleet as expansive as an on-board buffet. But now, with the economy foundering, the industry may not find enough people to line up for those buffets” (Goetzl, 2003, p. 17).

Jennifer de la Cruz, a spokeswoman for industry leader Carnival Corp., reported that, “We're definitely weathering a very challenging period right now.” The major cruise lines (Carnival, Royal Caribbean Cruises and Princess Cruises) have experienced some degree of recovery in bookings since September 11, 2001; however, this rebound was attributed directly to the companies sharply discounting their fares and are using low prices as their principal incentive to fill berths (Goetzl, 2003, p. 17).

Opportunity abounds in the travel and hospitality industry. It is the third largest business in the nation and the second largest employer. In fact, only the healthcare industry employees more people (Travel and Tourism, 2003). The travel and tourism industry represents over 200,000,000 jobs worldwide, and assessing potential trouble spots or desirable vacation destinations will become increasingly critical in this new environment. In fact, one author goes so far as to say that the travel industry is the most important economic force in the entire world, accounting for roughly $600 billion in trade, with more than $300 billion of that amount being spent in the United States alone (Foster, 1990, p. 5).

According to the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), the global travel and tourism industry today generates around US$4,494 billion in economic activity; this represents approximately 11 percent of the GDP worldwide; and employs fully 8.2 percent of the total employment, or over 207 million jobs worldwide. Expectations are that the travel, hospitality industry itself will continue to grow through 2006 in the travel and tourism industry, but the cruise sector has plagued by a surplus of berths. In fact, industry analyst Goldman Sachs recently said it saw no quick end to global travel fears and cut its 2002 and 2003 profits forecasts for cruise firms such as Royal Caribbean (Mills, 2002, 1).

In response, leading travel and tourism industry associations from around the world have collaborated on a joint statement asking governments to work together in partnership to address concerns facing the global travel and tourism industry today. In the wake of the terrorist attacks in the United States, the statement calls for a multi-government partnership to ensure that measures to strengthen security are effective, harmonized internationally and applied globally, helping to restore consumer confidence in travel and tourism. Travel and tourism is one of the world's biggest industries and a major generator to the world economy. "No single government or private sector can provide all the answers," says Jean-Claude Baumgarten, President of the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC) and key signatory to the statement. "Let us share our experience with others to ensure the whole world benefits from the enhanced security measures," Baumgarten said. The signatories to the statement represent the major sectors of travel and tourism, one of the world's most diverse industries. Airlines, hotels, manufacturers, tour operators, convention and visitors bureaus, travel related services, credit card and rental companies, have all been affected by decreased demand in the wake of the terrorist attacks in the United States. It is the expressed intent of this group of representatives to demonstrate unity and leadership in an effort to reinforce restore public confidence and to facilitate an early return to "business as usual" in the travel and tourism industry.

According to Goetzl, the cruise industry in particular is experiencing an abundance of ships but not enough passengers; cruise berths have increased from some 84,000 in 1990 to an estimated 174,000 currently-and it would be hard to find a worse time to try, since new ships soon will be launched. Carnival has a glitzy liner scheduled to set sail as early as January; Princess launched has two cruises ships 2002; and Royal Caribbean has five set to be christened by 2004. "Even before September 11, there were concerns about at least near-term overbuilding, that supply was getting ahead of demand," according to Standard & Poor's Mr. Graves, "but the long-term demographics for the cruise industry remain quite favorable with baby boomers likely to become a growing part of the customer mix" (Goetzl, 2003, p. 17).

Future trends include faster growth in European demand than North American demand, decreasing average age of passengers, increasing demand for short cruises and a increase in Mediterranean cruise. Other trends for the future in the cruise industry include an increase in the size of the cruise ships; this serves to impede some cruise ships from crossing the Panama Canal and increasing the investment required in port facilities. In the final analysis, the cruise industry has an enormous momentum for the future; industry analysts anticipate that North American and European demand will surpass 12 million passengers by the end of 2010. Although the North American outbound market in general still offers medium-term growth potential for the future, analysts agree that Europe represents the largest potential short term growth rates (Rising popularity of cruising creates new opportunities for Northern Pacific ports, 2003).

References
Endo, S., Schaffer, D., Gold, M. & Fitzgerald, N. (2002). Liberal arts grads do well in business. Careers & Colleges [EBSCO host].

Foster, D. L. (1990). First class: An introduction to travel and tourism. New York: Macmillan/McGraw-Hill Company.
Mills, S. (October 2, 2002). World Tourism Bodies Announce Joint Statement on Industry. [Online]. Available: http://www.wttc.org/resourceCentre/medi ... /releases/.
Rising popularity of cruising creates new opportunities for Northern Pacific ports. (2003).
AirHighways. [Online]. Available: http://www.airhighways.com/cruise_trends.htm
Travel and Tourism Career Descriptions. (2003). Travel and Tourism. [Online]. Available: http://www.allcolleges.org/travel-and-t ... reers.html.
Woodward, J. B. (2003). Passenger carriers: cruise ships. Encyclopedia Britannica.com [premium service].

Some images that you could use for this article can be found at: http://www.tramways.com/ships/