Please give me your advices!

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

tatuha

Please give me your advices!

Post by tatuha »

Hello Everybody,
I am a new member; I love this forum because it is useful for me to learn. I think, there are a lot of ideas here with explain much detail.
I also want to learn English via forums on the Internet. I have some questions:
1. I have read rather much short/long stories, but I could not get any things from them and felt that I did not improve my English skills.
2. I also try to listen English everyday (TAPE, VOA, ... about 30-60 minutes) and work hard, it is not easy for me to understand what I am trying. Normally, I must translate them to my own language before I can understand them, so I could not catch next paragraph.

Please give me your advices.
Thanks in advance.
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

Hello!

Here is an advice from me! it helped me a lot to improve my comprehension skill - listening and counting! sure i didn't understand a thing when i just started... My precious english teacher taught us this way! amazing! she's reading an english stories both short and long - whatever you like - and we are counting numbers in english from 1 to ... not pronouncing them. so just combining two activities at the same time... there were short anf funny stories always amusing and the best estimation of your level is if you got the story or not! finally we were able to get very fast speeches held in court! so helped a lot! but sure you need somebody to accompany and to help you!

best wishs, tora. :wink:
ilovebeijing

Post by ilovebeijing »

i've never heard of it,how peculiar the mathod is :D
i doubt that when i am counting,i can't catch the stories although it's short and funny :oops:
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

The method is targeted at getting information from more than 2 sourses - it helps! in a 6-month time you'll make progress in your comprehension! i did so 8) :wink:

education grabs all your spare time but the result is always impressing! :!:
harvester
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Please give me your advices!

Post by harvester »

Hello tatuha. I know what you mean because I am falling in your case. But I think when we have enough basic vocabularies, we can understand the meaning on stories. I mean, first we should read the story which is on our level for example with people who have just learned English they should read the story for the new learner. After our level is updated more vocabularies, we can read the higher stories such as for intermediate or advance learner, etc.
To talk about listening skill, I think it is not easy for many people who are learning English. I can be belong to every one's aptitude, I think. Ah, tatuha, let's check the information at "listening room" in englishclub here. They left us many good tips for studying listening skill. Sure me.
I'll ready share my idea with you to study English, of course because I come here to study English, too :) .