Help!Discuss!

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderators: Krisi, Vega, EC

Post Reply
nancycumt
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am
Location: China

Help!Discuss!

Post by nancycumt » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:09 am

Now,the society is a quick fix society !
People's life on to go !
Do you agree with me ? Our class will hold a debate.Would you like to give me some suggestions that I can win the debate?

People's life on to go !In fact ,i don't know the exact meaning of the sentence,i heard it from one of my classmates,saying that "people very busy everyday",is it so ?

User avatar
Unknownsu
Platinum Member
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:10 am
Status: Other
Location: Canada

Re: Help!Discuss!

Post by Unknownsu » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:55 am

nancycumt wrote:People's life on to go !
That phrase sounds odd and doesn't make much sense to me.

Are you sure it's not People's life on the go?

nancycumt
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am
Location: China

Reply:Discuss!

Post by nancycumt » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:18 am

Sorry,I have made a mistake. It's "People's life on the go!"

tqth
Silver Member
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:13 am
Location: Vietnam

Re: Help!Discuss!

Post by tqth » Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:51 pm

nancycumt wrote:Now,the society is a quick fix society !
People's life on to go !
Do you agree with me ? Our class will hold a debate.Would you like to give me some suggestions that I can win the debate?

People's life on to go !In fact ,i don't know the exact meaning of the sentence,i heard it from one of my classmates,saying that "people very busy everyday",is it so ?
I think your friends are right . You can see in your dictionary:
"on the go" means very busy

byron
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Merry England

Re: Reply:Discuss!

Post by byron » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:36 pm

nancycumt wrote:Sorry,I have made a mistake. It's "People's life on the go!"
In this instance the phrase takes on a different meaning than what a dictionary would suggest. It is idiomatic and could be used as a title for an newspaper/magazine article, TV Program or Radio program.
It means something like watching people's activities from an interest point of view. Example: Following a day in the life of a Nurse or any other person's daily routine.
It is not really a phrase one would find a reason to use in a day to day conversation and I wonder where you came across it.

nancycumt
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am
Location: China

byron!Answer your question!

Post by nancycumt » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:18 am

Hi,byron!
thank you for your message.One day i walked together with one of my classmates,she said it to me,adding that "It's a text name of the student book,because I am busy every day,usually i walk quickly",and using it discribe my shool life .That day we happened to learn the text named"Quick Fix Society".so......
Thank you again!

byron
Gold Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am
Location: Merry England

Re: byron!Answer your question!

Post by byron » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:36 am

nancycumt wrote:Hi,byron!
thank you for your message.One day i walked together with one of my classmates,she said it to me,adding that "It's a text name of the student book,because I am busy every day,usually i walk quickly",and using it discribe my shool life .That day we happened to learn the text named"Quick Fix Society".so......
Thank you again!
As I suspected, it is then a title, in this case of a book.
No need for thanks :) I enjoy answering such questions. The trouble with dictionaries and other reference books is that they do not give an in-depth answer also sometimes they can be incorrect mainly because words now have a new main meaning. Example: When I was a young man the word 'GAY' always meant cheerful and happy. Now the main meaning is homosexual. If you say someone is 'GAY' in any English speaking country you are saying they are queer (homosexual)

nancycumt
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am
Location: China

Re: Help!Discuss!

Post by nancycumt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:50 am

nancycumt wrote:Now,the society is a quick fix society !
People's life on to go !
Do you agree with me ? Our class will hold a debate.Would you like to give me some suggestions that I can win the debate?

People's life on to go !In fact ,i don't know the exact meaning of the sentence,i heard it from one of my classmates,saying that "people very busy everyday",is it so ?
thank you!

nancycumt
Silver Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 1:33 am
Location: China

thank you

Post by nancycumt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:51 am

Thank you for your answer!

Post Reply