banana

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

GJG

banana

Post by GJG »

Hi,
We know that banana is a kind of fruit, but I think it has other meaning, as "like banana". Could anybody tell me what's that meaning?

Thanks & Best Regards
GJG
:roll:
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: banana

Post by byron »

GJG wrote:Hi,
We know that banana is a kind of fruit, but I think it has other meaning, as "like banana". Could anybody tell me what's that meaning?

Thanks & Best Regards
GJG
For a start this isn't something one would use normally. One might say "the country is a Banana Republic" meaning that a country is badly and inefficiently run. One could also say that a soccer player "bent the ball like a Banana" meaning that he kicked the ball causing it to bend in flight. Colloquial slang could cause you to say "he is as bent as a Banana" meaning the person referred to is dishonest and not to be trusted.
I hope this explanation gives you some idea as to how the expression could be used.
GJG

Post by GJG »

Dear byron,
Thank you so much!

Best Regards
GJG :roll:
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

A banana is a slang used for people of yellow skin colour (Asians) with a western (White) mentality. Hence, yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by byron »

Unknownsu wrote:A banana is a slang used for people of yellow skin colour (Asians) with a western (White) mentality. Hence, yellow on the outside, white on the inside.
As an Englishman who has travelled to literally every country on this planet... I have NEVER ever heard the word used in this way by any native english speakers. I have also checked with friends here who equally have never heard it.
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

Well, now you have. :wink:

As an Englishman, you should know slangs are used by particular groups and can range from area to area. I grew up in Canada and have been exposed to this term throughout western Canada.
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by byron »

Unknownsu wrote:Well, now you have. :wink:

As an Englishman, you should know slangs are used by particular groups and can range from area to area. I grew up in Canada and have been exposed to this term throughout western Canada.
I agree slang can be peculiar to a particular area indeed a vicinity or even a section of the armed forces. I am also very familiar with Canadian and US slang, so can accept what you say. I know of very purely Canadian slang words such as Dekey, Gorby and Hoser which are unheard of outside of Canada. What I am saying is that I have never heard the expression yet I am a Wordsmith for a living. Ergo I do not accept your use of 'Banana' as a fair explanation as it isn't in common use worldwide. Example: If you were asked to explain "loonie" which would be the best "a lunatic" or a Canadian one dollar coin?
Unknownsu
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Unknownsu »

You have the liberty to not believe me and that's fair but you cannot deny the usage and definition of the slang. A slang does not have to be known worldwide to be a slang.

Excerpt from New Zealander film website, Banana in a Nutshell:

The slang definition of ‘Banana’ is ‘an Asian who has been brought up in Western society: yellow on the outside, white on the inside’.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Banana
byron
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by byron »

Unknownsu wrote:You have the liberty to not believe me and that's fair but you cannot deny the usage and definition of the slang. A slang does not have to be known worldwide to be a slang.

Excerpt from New Zealander film website, Banana in a Nutshell:

The slang definition of ‘Banana’ is ‘an Asian who has been brought up in Western society: yellow on the outside, white on the inside’.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Banana
I didn't say I disbelieved you. Indeed quite the opposite, I agreed on localised slang words. I am observing that it is unrealistic to give someone such localised meanings when they are seeking to use them when speaking English generally.
I think you will agree that is a fair point of view.
GJG

Post by GJG »

Hi, thank you everybody. I am in the opinion that it is useful to know about a little slang.