What's the different between Engineering and Technology

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

arnoldt

What's the different between Engineering and Technology

Post by arnoldt »

Dear Teachers:

I’m confused by these 2 words: Engineering and Technologies and sincerely hope that you can help me as following:
1. Does Engineering = Technologies?
2. If they are not the same, then can Technologies covers up for Engineering? Or should Engineering covers up for Technologies?
3. When I’m introducing myself to others as that I’m working in the Engineering job, does it include from designing to mass-production/manufacturing? Or it just simply means that I’m only doing the designing kind of work, not including the manufacturing? And same question to Technologies?
4. Does Engineering only refer to the industry of machine or mechanism; or it can also cover up to the high tech of electronic? And how about the Technologies, does it only refer to the high tech of electronic or can it also cover up anything as also including the machinery?
5. If these 2 words are not the same and represent very differently; but in fact I’m really working from designing/engineering to production and from plastic, machinery to electronic, then can I just simply say I’m doing Engineering Technologies? Or does this sound better: I’m doing Technologies Engineering? Or should I put an “and” in-between, like I’m doing Engineering & Technologies? And does it matter which word should be came in first, like should it be I’m doing Engineering & Technologies or I’m doing Technologies & Engineering, will them sound differently?

So could you please kindly help me as above, and thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Admiral

Post by Admiral »

hi arnoldt!
I'm studying engineering now! And I'm studying production engineering.
I think you study (or your major was) also this one? Then "production engineering" is the name you look for.

I think technology is the same as engineering, but engineering sounds better and more professional than only technology.
So I guess you should definitely say "engineering".

However if I want to restrict my branche I can also say "I study engineering in the branch production technology." That would sound good.
PAARSE

Post by PAARSE »

Dear friends :

In general, Engineering is a science but an applied science, whereas, Technology is the result of Engineering.

For example, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering are two fields of Engineering.
When you make a PUMP, you use Mechanical and Metallurgical Engineering to achieve a technology named Pump making technology.

Good Luck
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I'm going to be an engineer. (Mechanical engneering)

I think Engineering is a science which include technology, industry and ways to resolve.Engineering is creativity.

sorry my bad english