Please read this and help correct errors (pargraph etc...)

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

CynthiaNewb

Please read this and help correct errors (pargraph etc...)

Post by CynthiaNewb »

The Red Cross

Let’s Help the Red Cross
The Red Cross has been around since World War Two. This organization has always provided health services to the global community. For this reason, the Red Cross is always looking for support, and many people have managed to help this essential organization save lives. People should make an effort to visit their local Red Cross, and offer to help.
The Red Cross can be helped in many ways. One thing we can do to help this organization to volunteer our skills. For example, any student who needs more practice in improving her academic skills can volunteer the skills he or she learns in school. Doing so will reinforce that student’s skill while helping the community. Another way to help the Red Cross is just through offering one's time. The Red Cross trains people in skills it finds necessary for the company. Some members of the community have donated goods, and blood to help the Red Cross. Making financial contribution is also necessary in helping this outstanding organization move forward.
Many countries have adopted the Red Cross. Therefore, it is very popular to many people. I have known about this organization in Africa since I was a little girl. Many people I knew used to go to the Red Cross just to donate blood. I know that this alone has saved many lives. Other people choose to donate their organs when they die in order to help the Red Cross gives hope to many desperately injured people.
Lives have been saved thanks to the volunteers who had faith in helping other people. The Red Cross gives us an opportunity to make the world a better place.
I will encourage more people to support to the Red Cross because it is a good way to help the global community.
imad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Please read this and help correct errors (pargraph etc.

Post by imad »

Hi CynthiaNewb, I find that this paragraph is good and interesting.
There is the corrections that I'm sure, but I am not sure that they are no other mistakes.
Second World WAR instead World War Tow.
...essantial organization saves.., instead save.
"doing so will........... the community" I find this sentence fault, but I don't know what do you mean by this.

In Algeria there is an organization like The red cross, it's named The red crest.
The red crest helpes many people in Algeria too, like the earthquake in Boumerdess( a town in algeria)
CynthiaNewb

Than you

Post by CynthiaNewb »

Thank you very much Imad for your reply. The Red Cross is also called "Crois rouge" in Burkina Faso, but I think it's the same organization. The correction you have made on my essay are effective. Thanks
Cynthia
CynthiaNewb

Post by CynthiaNewb »

Hello I mad I went back and corrected my essay. I have fixed world wa5r two. I also fixed that sentence "doing so" and made it clearer. I did not change save because I think that one is correct. The present tense is not what I need for that one. i don't know yet how to edit the one I have posted on the site.
Thanks again for your reply.
Cynthia
imad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by imad »

Hello CynthiaNewb.
you have said " the organization save" the true is saves, because with he, she, it we add "s".
And ... you are welcome.
CynthiaNewb

Post by CynthiaNewb »

Imad, this is my sentence. Many people have managed to help this essential organization save lives. In this sentence, "have helped" is my main verb. Save is just a helping verb.It's correct.My english teacher read it. She only gave me this website so that I can get more readers. I am a college student in an english speaking country.
Thank you for welcoming me.
Cynthia
Awence

optional....

Post by Awence »

well, infinitive hlping verbs are more commonly seen in sentences as such:

1.you had better (do) your assignments today.
2. I made him do this homework today.

When had better and made or make are in use, the ensuing verbs are normally in infinitive form.

in this circumstance, i would suggest,

Many people have managed to help this essential organization in saving lives.

What do you think?
CynthiaNewb

Post by CynthiaNewb »

Thank you Awence for your reply. You and Imad have been outstanding in paying attention to my essay. I have pointed out that part of the sentence to my teacher, and she told me not to change it. I also emailed it to the tutor center that came with my book, and they did not acknowledge it as a mistake. There are several mistakes that they pointed out to me I have not Yet gone through them to correct them, because I am working a a research paper right now. but I will get back to them. Thanks to you and Imad for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
Cynthia
imad
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Than you

Post by imad »

I myself make mistakes when writting in English, so it will very nice if you help me whenever it's possible.
"croix rouge" is a french expression, "croix" means cross and rouge means red, and indeed as you said it's the same organization.
CynthiaNewb

Post by CynthiaNewb »

No problem Imad, I can help you. This is what this site is for. Thank you