How to say this in English?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

fayehfy

How to say this in English?

Post by fayehfy »

In company, when people arrive at the office and they have to put a card into a machine to show the start of working time. How to say this action in a word? Thanks!
roses

interesting

Post by roses »

This is an interesting question. I gave it some thought and asked a few people.

I can think of a number of descriptions: logging in, clocking on, signing on, punching in.

I think "clocking on" is the best description if more than one word is permitted. It involves an element of time: "clocking".

I looked up "clock" in the Oxford Advanced English Dictionary. It had an entry "clock in/on, clock out/off, punch in/out" all meaning "to record the time at which one(or somebody else) arrives at or leaves work, especially by means of an automatic device: Workers usually clock off at 5:30. What is clock-in /clocking-in time at your office?"

So, I don't think that there is a single word that is satisfactory. Phrases have to be used such as "clocking in" [starting the working day by inserting the device into a machine] or "clocking off" to end the day's work with the same action.

An interesting point to note is that the choice of phrase might depend upon the job. For instance a job at a computer screen is more suited to "logging in" and "logging out" whereas a job down a mineshaft suits "clocking on" and "clocking off".

Also interesting is that the terms are used symbolically even when there is no literal insertion of a card into a machine.
fayehfy

Post by fayehfy »

many thanks, roses
nemo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by nemo »

hi,
well... i'm not an english teacher. So, i 'll not give a comment as a teacher. But, i would like to share what people think about this in my country.

We are malaysian and of course we speak malay.So, in the oyher words, we don't use clocking in, clocking of, punching in or punching off.There are no specific word to describe the action mention. But, when people say punch card, the other will automatic understand that that person had been punch his/her card that mention that working period have been started.
that's all,
thank you
InLove
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by InLove »

Insert your card and sign in?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: How to say this in English?

Post by MissLT »

fayehfy wrote:In company, when people arrive at the office and they have to put a card into a machine to show the start of working time. How to say this action in a word? Thanks!
Americans called it punch in if your company uses the time card. If your company uses the computer, we called it clock in.
rivulet

Post by rivulet »

Many thanks.
How about the action that you insert your card into a machine then that machine bores a hole on your card?
MissLT
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by MissLT »

Punching or stamping like we were discussing earlier.
rivulet

Post by rivulet »

Oh, thanks. Now I know the way to use all of that verbs. Have a nice day to all.
riverclarin

Post by riverclarin »

In Ireland it's called "clocking in".
mali
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: How to say this in English?

Post by mali »

fayehfy wrote:In company, when people arrive at the office and they have to put a card into a machine to show the start of working time. How to say this action in a word? Thanks!
one sentence also this one:

you are authorized
HI, I AM M. ALI, 30 YEARS OLD, HOLDING MASTER AND LLB DEGREE, WORKING AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION, VISITED AROUND 25 COUNTRIES. LOOKING GOOD FRIEND