Difference between formal and informal English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Difference between formal and informal English

Post by weibing »

Hi everyone,

Could you tell me what's the difference between formal and informal English?!

A letter to a friend may be informal. A website forum like this one may also imformal. But we usually see such greetings as 'Dear Weibing'. It seems 'Hi Weibing' is quite natural here.

Contractions may also be informal. 'I'm', 'we're', 'there's' etc are all natural to me. I wonder if such contractions could be seen in an English textbook,an English dictionary or a president's speech - all these should be considered formal. I once used 'it'll'(instead if 'it will') in a letter to my friend Steve, but he pointed out that I should avoid using 'it'll'. Then when should I use 'I am', 'we are' instead of 'I'm' and 'we're'?

Maybe the difference between formal and informal English is not that clear. we may have 'very informal', 'quite formal' etc?!

I'd appreciate any reply from you all. Thanks again - more formal: thank you again!

Best wishes,(Maybe here just 'yours', 'love' or nothing at all here.)

Weibing
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

No answer so far!! I wonder if my question is too difficult or too easy to answer?! Maybe the difference between formal and informal English is not really that clear! Maybe my question is out of the question!
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

Hi everybody, please visit the 'Teacher Forum' of this website for the good answer to my question from Kevin - go and see it! I guess you,just as me,have been waiting for any replies to my last post! Good luck!
riverclarin

Post by riverclarin »

There is no hard and fast rule about when one should or shouldn't (should not!) use contractions.

They are commonly used in speech, especially when one is speaking quickly. In a letter to a friend, I would use "I'm", "wasn't", "didn't", etc., but in a letter to the Prime Minister I would change those to "I am", "was not" and "did not".

"It'll" is a less commonly used contraction but I like it. It's similar to "He'll" and "She'll". Once the apostrophe is in the correct place, it's (it is) fine!
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

Thanks, riverc,

I totally agree with you. But I would say it's really a tricky problem.

Sometimes you need to be as formal as possible, but sometimes it's not the case. When others say that you sound a little 'formal', it may probably mean that you sound a bit 'inappropriate'?! It's really hard for a non-native speaker to be always 'appropriate' - not too formal or too informal.

Sometimes you can tell that a car in front of you is driven by a rookie - at least the driver is not a good driver. An English learner may sound like a rookie driver - 'inappropriate'!
yinkie

Post by yinkie »

One thing to always put behind you mind is the moment you use an apostrophe (in written English), you have become Informal - so you might want to ask youself, "who am I writing to". What kind of relationship do you have with the other party- formal or Informal?. Usually with spoken English you can get away with using the Contractions both to a formal or informal party. However, If you were reading a speech or presentation or in such formal situations, your words need to almost be without apostrophes.

Simply put, determine who your hearer or reader is, if formal avoid apostrophes, if informal feel free to use apostropes in both your written or oral communication with them..
InLove
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by InLove »

nice! :o
VitaminC

Formal English

Post by VitaminC »

Hey!
As far as I know - 'cause I'm not sure - these are some of the differences between formal and informal English:

- Contractions are common in informal English. When writing a formal letter, don't use contractions. This is also true when you're writing a dissertation paper for graduating.
- Avoid using colloquialisms when you're using formal English; also, avoid the use of some idiomatic expressions - which are common in conversational language, modisms and slangs.
- This is one of the things that puzzle me :P ... I've heard the use of passive voive as well as modal verbs change. A teacher told me we avoid the use of these forms in formal English; another teacher told me, "How come, silly girl" - obviously, she disagreed. So, I'd thank you if you help me with this hint from my weird teacher.
- Finally, and obviously, formal writing requires a lot of respect toward the person who reads the compsition. Thankfully - and contrary to languages such as Spanish - it doesn't involve decoration. Whatever it is, it comes to be more concrete. There are some expressions which are more used in formal English than informal - mainly connectors, modal verbs and specific verbs - that's when you say 'bye' to the free use of words like get.

Maybe I'm wrong, but these are some of the features that make the distinction between formal and informal writing.

See you around! :wink:
weibing
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by weibing »

Hello everyone

We're having nice discussiong about this topic in the forum 'ESL Teacher Discussion'. So, if you're really interested in this thread, you're invited to join there!

As for my question, I admit again that it's really a tricky one. All you've said about this topic are more likely to be reasonable. The degree of formality is largely depending on 'your audience', the situation when you write or say.

It's a good idea not to be too formal or too informal. 'Appropriate' is critical!
Vega
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Vega »

I don't think I have profound knowledge of English to be able to reveal exact differences or advantages of formal and informal English, but whether to speak formally depend on a people I'm talking with, or a subject we are discussing. Basically, I'm used to speak in informal language with my friends.