Help me with this reading

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

hanami

Help me with this reading

Post by hanami »

I have a reading passage with the questions right below. I have the key too but can you do it by yourself before explaining to me how the answers are like that?
Thanks in advance.
This is the passage:

The ownership of pets brings a variety of benefits that the uninitiated would believe. For every tale of shredded cushions, flattened plants and chewed slippers, there is another testimonial of intelligence, sympathy and undying devotion. Now the growing body of research into the medical and social advantages of pet ownership has confirmed what pet owners have always intuitively known: that pets are not just loving companions but actually do us good. Researchers have established the value of pets in soothing and reassuring humans, particularly when ill, lonely or in distress. Perhaps the unquestioning love and approval pets give us is something we don’t always get from our human nearest and dearest.
Our makeshift understanding of psychology leads many of us to view very close relationships with pets with suspicion. Childless couples in particular give rise to speculation, but a consultant in animal behaviour says “There is no evidence that a pet is a direct substitute for a child”. And while many adults feel foolish if caught talking to their pets, they have no need to. The experts say you can not have a close relationship with a pet without treating it as a person and that talking to a pet is not unhealthy – simply a way of establishing rapport.
The wobbling helplessness of a young puppy or a fluffy kitten stirs protective instincts deep within us and prompts many parents to buy pets for theirs children in the hope of instilling a sense of responsibility and caring and acceptance of the facts of live and death. But animals don’t have to be soft and cuddly to bring out the best in us. A social worker encouraged aggressive boys to handle ferrets – “If handled correctly they respond with friendship; if incorrectly they bite.”
There seems to be no doubt that, emotionally and physically, our pets do us good– but there is a price to be paid. When a loved animal dies it is a traumatic event – and then where do we turn for comfort?

Questions:

1. Pets are sometimes criticized because they
A. lack intelligence
B. need considerable care
C. are destructive
D. demand affection

2. The idea that animals are a substitute for children is

A. supported by research
B. encouraged by psychologists
C. an argument for keeping a pet
D. a common prejudice

3. talking to animals is

A. silly
B. beneficial
C. suspicious
D. stimulating

4. When choosing a pet you should remember that

A. a young animal pets is best for everyone
B. the animal need mot be attractive
C. certain animals can be dangerous
D. a ferret makes a good pet

5. the writer believe that pets are valuable to children because they

A. return affection
B. need looking after
C. are comforting
D. are protective
happiness is something you can't foretell
hanami

Re: Help me with this reading

Post by hanami »

Hi everone,
What is the reason why you don't help me with this?
happiness is something you can't foretell
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I'm not the exact one you need, as I'm crippled in English in a way, but let me answer it and you'll correct me then, okay?

well...
1. C ? I have no idea why :roll: Probably due to the fact that animals destruct people from their dearest and nearest?
2. D a common prejudice
a consultant in animal behaviour says “There is no evidence that a pet is a direct substitute for a child”
3. B I guess, it enables to work out relationship
4. C, speaking from the common sense point of view, ferrets may bite if not treated property
5. B, it may teach that creatures responsibility and caress
Tora
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tora »

I agree with the forth answer of yours... previously I thought that "mot" in the quote below means "most", but "not" also seems to be an option :lol:
the animal need mot be attractive