get stuck Q3

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

ladyfirsttdbcn

get stuck Q3

Post by ladyfirsttdbcn »

Living organisms contain more water _________ substance.
(A) than do any other
(B) does than any other
(C) other than do they any
(D) than they do any other
Hey guys, I am getting stuck with this question( actually it is extracted fromthe Toelf test , I dont remember the code of the test), coulda please explain for me why the correct answer ( according to the key) is " D" > But actually I think it is " A" that should be the best one correspondent.
Thanks million^^
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: get stuck Q3

Post by denvinbo »

ladyfirsttdbcn wrote:Living organisms contain more water _________ substance.
(A) than do any other
(B) does than any other
(C) other than do they any
(D) than they do any other
Hey guys, I am getting stuck with this question( actually it is extracted fromthe Toelf test , I dont remember the code of the test), coulda please explain for me why the correct answer ( according to the key) is " D" > But actually I think it is " A" that should be the best one correspondent.
Thanks million^^
The sentence u give doesn't have Pronoun.....so they use "Living".....but the answer A is not correct because it use "do" when there's no Pronoun before it.....the correct answer for A is "doing".....The answer D is correct because it has Pronoun before so we can use "do"....

This is the very easy problems in English that almost everyone know.....I think u have to learn for more.......

Good luck! :-D
ladyfirsttdbcn

Post by ladyfirsttdbcn »

well, actually, I thought the answer should be " A" because there might have a inversion structure here. If so, the complete sentence could be translated like this:
"Living organisms contain more water than any other substance do"
Or
" Living organisms contain more water than do any other substance"
---------
Am I wrong???
Anyway, Thank u very much denvinbo^^
Namnack

Post by Namnack »

ladyfirsttdbcn wrote:well, actually, I thought the answer should be " A" because there might have a inversion structure here. If so, the complete sentence could be translated like this:
"Living organisms contain more water than any other substance do"
Or
" Living organisms contain more water than do any other substance"
---------
Am I wrong???
Anyway, Thank u very much denvinbo^^

It's funny to see that someone with very impaired English skills is giving you advice and even stating that you have to improve your own skills.

The correct answer is indeed D and not A. Answer A, which doesn't even follow, suggests that living organisms contain more water than any other substance, including, for example ice or beer. So both grammatical and logical, answer A is flawed.
Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light.