Listening to English

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

nat
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: 7 experiences to study English well

Post by nat »

That's a very good job,Devinbo! :-D
Is that all from your own experiense?
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

nat wrote:That's a very good job,Devinbo! :-D
Is that all from your own experiense?
Also from my partner... :-)
sweets
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by sweets »

good advices espically that one

(1/ Speaking out all the things you're thinking in mind:
_When using English, don't care about the mistakes. If u don't have mistake, it's mean that u won't learn anything. May be u will make small mistakes in English with foreigners. But the major is what can u summarize from ur mistakes. Like as the babies can't walk if they're afraid of falling......)

it workes well with me :mrgreen:

cheeeeeeeeeeers {-:
دخلت حياتي كنسمة وخرجت منها كإعصار
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

denvinbo wrote:1/ Speaking out all the things you're thinking in mind:
_When using English, don't care about the mistakes. If u don't have mistake, it's mean that u won't learn anything. May be u will make small mistakes in English with foreigners. But the major is what can u summarize from ur mistakes. Like as the babies can't walk if they're afraid of falling......

2/ Defining which way of learning English is suitable for u:
_Recent examination makes known that many people have their own way of learning English. If u r a pictures liker, u can make a link between English and pictures such as u can watch movies with English subtitle, try to imagine where u r in English's context, imagine the words u should learn with pictures. If u r a listening liker, u should listen to English music as much as u can and watch English movies. If u like to analysing, let spend most of ur time to learn grammars and compare ur language with English.
_Of course, a good English learn will spend all his time to do all these things. But what a pity, many people is only taught by traditional way is concentrating on grammars and listening.

3/ Studying to remember:
_U can test ur memory by reading books. Most of good English learners appreciate this thing.

4/ Making ur own English environment:
_A Spanish successful businessman studied English by gluing yellow papers around his house, when he went to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, take a bath or use the remote to change the TV channels, he always saw the words in those papers. When he remembered all those words, he changed new ones. By this way of study, he remembered 10 words per day, 7 days per week. U should read, listen and speak English anywhere and anytime.

5/ Let's access the Internet:
_internet has brought many benefits for English learner. U can find many useful websites to study grammars, vocabulary, pronounciation and now, the most important: communication.

6/ Learning vocabulary by system:
_Please notice that learning English is not only studying grammars. When communicating, u choose vocabulary, combine them and make a sentence to share ur thinking. When learning vocabulary, u should arrange them sensiblely. Don't list a long page of words, let separate them to their own section. For example:
- Theme: Shopping, Holidays, Money...etc...
- Verbs and Nouns together: do your homework, make a care...etc...
- Verbs with prepositions: to grow up, to fell off, to look after...etc...
- Fixed words: on the other hand, in my opinion, by the way...etc...
- Idioms: once in a blue moon, to be over the moon, out of the blue...etc...
- Words with prepositions: at night, at the weekend, in March, in 2008...etc...

7/ U should be excited:
_U should warm up and do all the things u can do today, don't gather for tomorrow.

Good luck! :-D
Grateful for this Denvinbo! :-D
esl member since 2007
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

And I also have many other things to tell u........... :-D
Krisi
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Krisi »

denvinbo wrote:And I also have many other things to tell u........... :-D
What? hmm, interesting!!! :-P :lol:
esl member since 2007
Annaa
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Annaa »

denvinbo wrote:1/ Speaking out all the things you're thinking in mind:
_When using English, don't care about the mistakes. If u don't have mistake, it's mean that u won't learn anything. May be u will make small mistakes in English with foreigners. But the major is what can u summarize from ur mistakes. Like as the babies can't walk if they're afraid of falling......

2/ Defining which way of learning English is suitable for u:
_Recent examination makes known that many people have their own way of learning English. If u r a pictures liker, u can make a link between English and pictures such as u can watch movies with English subtitle, try to imagine where u r in English's context, imagine the words u should learn with pictures. If u r a listening liker, u should listen to English music as much as u can and watch English movies. If u like to analysing, let spend most of ur time to learn grammars and compare ur language with English.
_Of course, a good English learn will spend all his time to do all these things. But what a pity, many people is only taught by traditional way is concentrating on grammars and listening.

3/ Studying to remember:
_U can test ur memory by reading books. Most of good English learners appreciate this thing.

4/ Making ur own English environment:
_A Spanish successful businessman studied English by gluing yellow papers around his house, when he went to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee, take a bath or use the remote to change the TV channels, he always saw the words in those papers. When he remembered all those words, he changed new ones. By this way of study, he remembered 10 words per day, 7 days per week. U should read, listen and speak English anywhere and anytime.

5/ Let's access the Internet:
_internet has brought many benefits for English learner. U can find many useful websites to study grammars, vocabulary, pronounciation and now, the most important: communication.

6/ Learning vocabulary by system:
_Please notice that learning English is not only studying grammars. When communicating, u choose vocabulary, combine them and make a sentence to share ur thinking. When learning vocabulary, u should arrange them sensiblely. Don't list a long page of words, let separate them to their own section. For example:
- Theme: Shopping, Holidays, Money...etc...
- Verbs and Nouns together: do your homework, make a care...etc...
- Verbs with prepositions: to grow up, to fell off, to look after...etc...
- Fixed words: on the other hand, in my opinion, by the way...etc...
- Idioms: once in a blue moon, to be over the moon, out of the blue...etc...
- Words with prepositions: at night, at the weekend, in March, in 2008...etc...

7/ U should be excited:
_U should warm up and do all the things u can do today, don't gather for tomorrow.

That is easy for you Denvinbo cuz u can speak English very good and later some months fluently ,but what for others like me ??! }: }: }:
If you don`t like me remember it's mind over matter..I don't mind and you don't matter..
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Don't worry, Annaa....English is not so difficult as what u think........... :-D
Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Whats the fastest way to learn hearing?

Post by Aikuzo »

Hi guys, my hearing skill is terrible everytime I speak with natives, most of times I only hear correctly 50% of what their saying that's why I always say the words "could you say it again pls?". Right now the best thing I do is watch american movies, specially british movies like harry potter and listen to rock musics, how about you guys what of this methods you used that works for you the fastest on improving your hearing?
Pls correct any errors you see on my writings on: nouns, tenses :)

"Practice makes perfect!" xD
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Whats the fastest way to learn hearing?

Post by denvinbo »

Aikuzo wrote:Hi guys, my hearing skill is terrible everytime I speak with natives, most of times I only hear correctly 50% of what their saying that's why I always say the words "could you say it again pls?". Right now the best thing I do is watch american movies, specially british movies like harry potter and listen to rock musics, how about you guys what of this methods you used that works for you the fastest on improving your hearing?
You have to read some listening English advices in the forum....there's many things you can read and learn

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Aikuzo »

Forgot to mention I read them all^^ I just want to know w/c of those advice is the fastest method ^_^ sorry hehe guess Im too eager to learn the hearing right away ^^, but thanks.

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Aikuzo wrote:Forgot to mention I read them all^^ I just want to know w/c of those advice is the fastest method ^_^ sorry hehe guess Im too eager to learn the hearing right away ^^, but thanks.
Don't say hearing, it must be listening......But I have 1 advice for you that you have to try them all, although they are fast or slow.....learn English more careful is better....
Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by Aikuzo »

Thanks for the advice man, its just that Im getting impatient lately to hear clearly what other tells me but oh well, I'll try em all and just spend more time on the harder ones like radios and british news etc, thanks denvinbo.

Aikuzo -

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

Aikuzo wrote:Thanks for the advice man, its just that Im getting impatient lately to hear clearly what other tells me but oh well, I'll try em all and just spend more time on the harder ones like radios and british news etc, thanks denvinbo.

Aikuzo -
Do ur best boy! :-D
Redhab

please help me =(

Post by Redhab »

hello0 everyone .. im redhab, my first language is not english i have
started learning english 5 years ago, i guess!! but until nowadays i find
some difficulty consrning certain issues .. for example, i cant focuss when
somebody speaks with me fast .. i dont know why!! i practise listening alot
through movies .. with friends sometimes ..etc but its still being a BIG problem
for me ..

2nd thing .. i live around people who dont know how to speak english ,, so
im finding a diffuculty with practising my english language ,.. BCOZ THEIR IS
NOBODY TO TALK TO .. i try to use the internet as an practicing engine for my
english ,, but my verbail is going waaaaaaaaaay down ..!! what can i do about this ??

3rd... i get so frustrated and unconfident when speaking english .. i try to watch
my grammer and stuff .. so as not to make any mistake that would make others chuckle
at me .. which already happened and its the reason of my suffering ..!! what can i do concerning
this problem ,.. shalll i just shutup .. or speak fleuently ignoring everybody .. im trying to do that by
the way .. but im not really convinced .. PLZ CONVINCE ME ..

Please give my topic ur personal and immediate responSes ...
everyone share with me ur opinions !!

KISSES & HUGS {-;
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: please help me =(

Post by denvinbo »

Redhab wrote:hello0 everyone .. im redhab, my first language is not english i have
started learning english 5 years ago, i guess!! but until nowadays i find
some difficulty consrning certain issues .. for example, i cant focuss when
somebody speaks with me fast .. i dont know why!! i practise listening alot
through movies .. with friends sometimes ..etc but its still being a BIG problem
for me ..

2nd thing .. i live around people who dont know how to speak english ,, so
im finding a diffuculty with practising my english language ,.. BCOZ THEIR IS
NOBODY TO TALK TO .. i try to use the internet as an practicing engine for my
english ,, but my verbail is going waaaaaaaaaay down ..!! what can i do about this ??

3rd... i get so frustrated and unconfident when speaking english .. i try to watch
my grammer and stuff .. so as not to make any mistake that would make others chuckle
at me .. which already happened and its the reason of my suffering ..!! what can i do concerning
this problem ,.. shalll i just shutup .. or speak fleuently ignoring everybody .. im trying to do that by
the way .. but im not really convinced .. PLZ CONVINCE ME ..

Please give my topic ur personal and immediate responSes ...
everyone share with me ur opinions !!

KISSES & HUGS {-;
Well, the first problem with u is listening......As what I have said......Listening is not only you listen to it....there're many ways for u.....Watching movies is one of the way to listen.....but it's the practical way....not the training way.....
I think this topic may help you something.....Listening

The second problem with you is Speaking.......You can't find anyone to speak with u....because the reason is mentioned above.....so, try to speak with yourself.....This

The third problem is You try to studying grammars to speak better.......In fact, grammars is rarely used in speaking.....so just speak as what you want.........

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

My "hearing" and listening progress....

Post by Aikuzo »

Its been a week since I started, just want to let you guys know specially denvinbo that I made a drastic change, a huge progress..... on understanding "slang" (british, american) accents. I could pick up almost all of them now w/c makes me wonder what makes me dont understand it before lol. Though there's only a little bit of few I still cant pick up sometimes so I'll work until I master it, thanks alot fellas....... hooo! cool stuff.

denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: My "hearing" and listening progress....

Post by denvinbo »

Aikuzo wrote:Its been a week since I started, just want to let you guys know specially denvinbo that I made a drastic change, a huge progress..... on understanding "slang" (british, american) accents. I could pick up almost all of them now w/c makes me wonder what makes me dont understand it before lol. Though there's only a little bit of few I still cant pick up sometimes so I'll work until I master it, thanks alot fellas....... hooo! cool stuff.
:-)
hopless

hello

Post by hopless »

:oops:

hi..
can anyone please tell me how can i speak fluent english...
although i have studied all about grammer,,,but when it comes to speaking i feel soo :oops:
embrassed because i dont make correct sentences...:((
and also i dont have any one at my place to talk to me in english and correct me..
so i have to practice bymyself only..
can anyone please tell me how can i speak fluenty and grammatical correct english..!!

i have never spoke in english with anyone before,,,,:(
but when i tried to speak to anyone i feel so reluctant while speaking because i can't express myself..properly and also i feel so hesitate.... :oops: :-(
due to this problems i feel so embraassed ...and i think people make my fun too for this..
please suggest me some relevant tips..............
regards
egolob

looking for profession English teacher for learning by Sykpe

Post by egolob »

I am looking for English teacher who would teach me English via Skype tool. I need to improve my pronunciation, also we would check sometimes my business e-mails if they are wrote OK and to learn from my own mistakes, depend of my weak points we would also learn some extra grammar. For more details including payment we can discuss via PM.

Please send me a private message.

Thanks
Ernest
hopless

Re: Help each other with English

Post by hopless »

davidnguyen wrote:Hi everyone,

Today, I found effortlessenglishclub.com of A.J that used different methods to improve speaking. These methods are strange. Has anyone ever tried the program or lessons on that website? Does the program actually work?

hey david
this methods are not strange........if you visit this website daily and practice according to the instructions you 'll definately learn english.....
this will really work okay so just chill and keep practicing!!
hopless

Post by hopless »

CoriCori wrote:I have not heard of that program. I study english at http://www.openenglish.com. They just opened a community, but there are still few persons. Come visit it and let's make it work. {-:

http://learn-english.openenglish.com

i just visited the above site
i dont think its useful or it will help you to learn english........
englishclub is the best website ............and i m so grateful to this website
Jads

Post by Jads »

:idea: I feel that when helping each other, we should speak 'international' english is easier than write -rite?

:arrow: i suppose in conversation not everyone would go for perfect english chat. It would be wonderful for all national slangs use in 'international' english speech on...skyping'

:twisted: rather than brit//amer slang'...let it come from all national, i suppose it will be a good split...tsk...tsk... of an informal speech which is norm or maybe better yet comfortable in conversation than the use of formal english/biz languages in it. 8-) practicing tourist-l-ish 4 a bttr start!
ipicthat

Post by ipicthat »

Hi There

Just wanted to let people know of a FREE TO USE website which may help with pronunciation, spelling and understanding of English. The website is http://www.ipicthat.com it is the world's first online talking dictionary. The site basically comprises of a ‘dictionary’ of approximately 5,500 words in an A-Z format and uses photographs to help identify each word. Every word has a written and spoken breakdown, highlighting any unusual soundings. In addition there are 'Letter Sounds', 'Rules', 'Categories', 'Scenarios' and a 'Help' section. Every part of the website is completely talking. You just need to register (which is FREE) and away you go - hope it helps :-P . Please feel free to pass on to your friends.

Thanks ;-)
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Post by Joe »

aslambegg wrote:I crave to improve my listening and speech. What is procedure for it please help me know.
You can find some listening exercises at:
http://www.englishclub.com/listening
http://www.englishclub.com/listening/news.htm
jasonwang

Post by jasonwang »

hi,everyone.I am a new fish here.I come from Dalian,china.I'd like talking with some softwares,such as MSN,SKYPE,etc..If you wanna talk with me,pls add me.The following is my MSN&SKYPE ID.

MSN:jason_dmu@live.cn

Let's talk.cheer!~
Bat

Post by Bat »

hi>>>
i hope find myselfe here>>>
l
Ilove English so so so much>>
Iwant to talk with you>>>
this my E-mail:
a-a-*******.com {-;
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please communicate with me in Present tense.future tense . And teach me grammar.Is there free e book of grammar.If yes give me web address.
Thanking You
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please tell me rules of Present Perfect tense .
Thanking You
denvinbo
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by denvinbo »

mini wrote:Please tell me rules of Present Perfect tense .
Thanking You
1/Form:
:arrow: I/You/We/They + Have + Verb (Past Participle)

:arrow: He/She/It + Has + Verb (Past Participle)

Past participle is:
+ Verb + ed if regular verb.
+ The third column verb if irregular verb.

2/Usage:
+ Indicate an action happened in the past and still happen at persent.
Ex:
I have worked here for 2 years.
She has been ill since last week.

+ Indicate an action happened in the past and no time.
Ex:
I have lost my key.
She has moved to Las Vegas.

+ Indicate an action happened many times in the past.
Ex:
I have read that book several times.
He has studied this lesson over and over.

3/Question form:
+ Bring have or has before Subject.
Ex:
You have seen that movie.
:arrow: Have you seen that movie?

4/Negative form:
+ Put not after have or has.
Ex:
You have seen that movie.
You have not (haven't) seen that movie.

# Notes:
+ We usually use just with Present perfect tense.
Ex:
A: Would you like something to eat?
B: No, thanks. I've just had lunch.

+ Use for to indicate a period of time, use since to indicate a point of time.
Ex:
He has worked there for 6 months.
He has worked there since March.

+ Use yet for question and negative, use already for affirmative.
Ex:
Barbara hasn't called yet.
Has Barbara called yet?

I've already posted the letter.

+ We usually use ever and never with Present perfect tense.
Ex:
Have you ever eaten snake meat?
I have never had a cat.

+ Use Present perfect tense with This is the first time...., It is the first time....
Ex:
This is the first time I've drived a car.

+ Gone to different from Been to.
Ann has gone to Italy. (It means she is living in Italy or she is going to Italy)

Ann has been to Italy.(It means she gone to Italy and came back)

End !!:-) :-) :-)
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please tell me consonants symbol web site.For free learning.If possible mp3 consonants symbol web site.
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please speak with me to improve my English conversation.
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please tell me consonants symbols free web .If possible mp3 consonants symbols free web .
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Please tell me when to use A /An as for Articles.
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by mini »

Least time I listen a story on this web .But now I am not finding it.Please tell me this sites mp3 story web address.