fill in for me to know

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

fill in for me to know

Post by Tukanja »

With this system alphabet letters are each assigned ____ a number.

A) to
B) __ (blank)
C) by
D) of
E) with

don't be shy with the opinions :-)
After you've filled in the sentence with the proper preposition please explain why the choice.
If you think there is no need for any preposition explain why? Is it about passive voice?
Please distinguish the BrE and AmE grammars if there is a difference between the two this time.

Thanks
Last edited by Tukanja on Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: fill in for me to know

Post by Tukanja »

yeah, i agree, it is about the passive voice
but
thuynhi wrote:i think the answer is b. it's passive because things can't assign themselves. we assign them
thank you thuynhi

If the letters are assigned, why not

..the letters are each assigned with a number.

in addition
from a dictionary

assign (CHOOSE) Show phonetics
verb
1 [T often passive] to give a particular job or piece of work to someone:
[+ two objects] UN troops were assigned the task of rebuilding the hospital. This form isn't easy to become familiar with due to the fact that it asks thinking in English which is different to thinking in my own language, I think.
[+ to infinitive] The case has been assigned to our most senior officer.This sentence is much easier to accept even it is the passive voice as well but there is the different word order.

let me try the different word order which had been seen in the first sentence in my the first post.
Our most senior officer has been assigned the case. This could be correct, right?

2 [T] If you assign a time for a job or activity, you decide it will be done during that time:
Have you assigned a day for the interviews yet?

3 [T] If you assign a characteristic to something, you state that it possesses it.

4 [T] to decide a reason for something:
Detectives have been unable to assign a motive for the murder.
The report assigned the blame for the accident to inadequate safety regulations.

assignment Show phonetics
noun
assignment of the various tasks
See also assignment; assignment at assign (SEND).

After all, let me try to write down a sentence assigned to the intention of my further learning the matter.

20 years ago, I was assigned a development of a sea-sea, self-managing guided missile but to do it alone, except for the mono-pulse antenna, which both had been developed by three other guys and were at the disposal to both the project and me.

I would like to have this sentence corrected, to get sure how exactly it should be written.