use of the modal ought

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

use of the modal ought

Post by Tukanja »

1. He ought to be studying for his exam. (but he is not doing that)

2. He ought to have been studying for his exam. (in the past, all is over, he didn't pass the exam. I am trying to say about how he ought to have been spending his time but he wasn't)

3. He ought to have studied for his exam.(he didn't pass the exam. I am saying that he simply took his time in a wrong way)

Are all of these sentences possible?
Seems to me that each of the all three has a bit different meaning
Please correct these sentences, if there are mistakes.
Thanks
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: use of the modal ought

Post by Joe »

1 and 3 are about right.

In 2 the exam may or may not be finished:

When I phoned him yesterday he was watching TV but he ought to have been studying for his exam, which is next week.

He spent the whole summer last year playing tennis when he ought to have been studying for his exam. It's no wonder he failed.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: use of the modal ought

Post by Tukanja »

Thank you Josef!

In addition, it seems as though he took up tennis at the most wrong time, LOL.

As to me, it is deja vu for whenever I was to or better say should have been learning for my exams during my education I used to playing tennis, dating girls, reading interesting books, developing electronic or some other completely different things or even sleeping in my bed but not taking my time learning curriculum material what I was actually both supposed and obliged to do and what I should have done for sure but as I already said I usually didn't.
Also let me say I ought to have seriously been learning the language as well but for (since) I haven't I am learning it now. :-D