Self-preservation

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Self-preservation

Post by Aikuzo »

On the movie Perfect Man they say

"It's a simple matter of self-preservation... when you move around alot, you just don't let yourself get attached"
>I looked self-preservation, but I just can't get the "sense" of its use on that sentence... could somebody explain pls.

"I hate to break it to you but in exactly one week, your streak is officially going to end"
>What is "streak" stands for in this sentence?

Thanks in Advance!
Pls correct any errors you see on my writings on: nouns, tenses :)

"Practice makes perfect!" xD
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: self-preservation

Post by Joe »

to preserve (verb): to keep something in its original state; to keep something safe
preservation (noun): the action of preserving

self-preservation (noun): the protection of oneself from harm or death

This is the literal meaning. In your quotation it may be being used in a more figurative sense.

> "I hate to break it to you but in exactly one week, your streak is officially going to end"
> What does "streak" stand for in this sentence?

Are you sure it is "streak"? Do they mention "winning streak" before this?
Aikuzo
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: Self-preservation

Post by Aikuzo »

Actually the story goes like the girl is packing because she's about to move in one week "again" (the girl just move in the place and started to make friends but she's moving again), then her friend come over to her house to convince her to go to a dance party before she leaves but the girl is very reluctant to the offer.

Then they say:

Girl:"It's a simple matter of self-preservation... when you move around alot, you just don't let yourself get attached"
>> I'm not sure but I think what it is is that she's trying to say It's all about "protecting" herself from bad feeling of being attached to someone because she moves alot anywayz, and it's also implying her reason of not going to go to the dance party"
Her friend: "I hate to break it to you but in exactly one week, your streak is officially going to end"
>> I'm not sure if I'm correct but I'm guessing that she's saying that she better go to the party & enjoy while she still can because in one week, her good days(streak) will be over!

Did I interpret it correct Sir?
Pls correct any errors you see on my writings on: nouns, tenses :)

"Practice makes perfect!" xD
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Self-preservation

Post by Joe »

>> I'm not sure but I think what it is is that she's trying to say It's all about "protecting" herself from bad feeling of being attached to someone because she moves a lot anywayz
You seem to have it about right.

She is saying that she moves a lot in order to protect herself from getting attached (A rolling stone gathers no moss).
>> I'm not sure if I'm correct but I'm guessing that she's saying that she better go to the party & enjoy while she still can because in one week, her good days(streak) will be over!
Maybe, but normally we add an adjective, eg winning streak, lucky streak. I'd need to know more. For example, why is it "official"? But you are probably on the right track. :mrgreen:
mini
Rising Star
Rising Star

Personality Development

Post by mini »

I want to learn Personality Development Program in free.In any body wish to teach me as please teach in free.Please try to teach me in simple spoken language.For going to Personality Development Program is required to know nice English?
Thanking You