Page 1 of 1

"here you are"

Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:19 pm
by szuho
Somebody has told me it's wrong using "here you are" when you give somebody something. I have always used it but she said when she was in England she was corrected and people didn't understand what she meant. In her opinion, "here we go" should be used. As far as I know, "here you go" is a possible alternative but as for "here we go", I'd rather use it in a situation when something is beginning to happen (although I can imagine it might have other meanings, too). Could you help and tell me if in the UK it's widely used these days? Thanks!

Re: "here you are"

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:21 pm
by Joe
"Here you are" is standard British English.

"Here you go" is informal British English.

"Here we go" is as you suggest.

Re: "here you are"

Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:53 pm
by szuho
Thanks a lot!