have traveled, had traveled

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

have traveled, had traveled

Post by Tukanja »

No, but my impression of the beauty of the area, born of the Olympics coverage, has been borne out by reports from friends who have traveled there, although my plans to visit there haven't borne any fruit.

Should the Past Perfect Tense have been used instead of the Present Perfect Tense in the sentence.

Do both of them work maybe?

Thank You
ETutor
Rising Star
Rising Star

Re: have traveled, had traveled

Post by ETutor »

The way it is written is correct. Both of them could work. Here is how it would be written:

….reports from friends who have traveled there
….reports from my friends, who had traveled there last year.

On another note, you have used the word, “born” many times in this short excerpt. Perhaps you could think about adding some variety.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

Thank you!

You are absolutely right about using the word borne too many times in the sentence but it had been written intentionally by a member of some other forum who had wanted to mention the word as many times as he could in the sentence for it was a topic about the word bear.

In addition I would like to say that I prefer "who had travelled" for the friend's journey had happened in the deep past and the Past Perfect Tense is the past equivalent of the Present Perfect.

It is reasonable to conclude that the journey had happened before the friends told to the writer of the sentence that they had been to there.
And I think it isn't must to use a definite adverb of time with the Past Perfect Tense for the Past Perfect Tense isn't limited to these adverbs only but can be used with both definite and indefinite adverbs of time or even without them.

The Present Perfect can be used as well in the sentence because it just emphasise the fact that they have been to there at the moment of speaking. When? Doesn't matter. Simple English. Right?

Using the Simple Past wouldn't be so successful for the Simple Past do not emphasise the most important point that the guys had been there and not simply were there.
I've just said how I see the matter. Wrong or not?

Thank You in advance
T
sanjaySinha

Post by sanjaySinha »

Hello,
You want to difference between have traveled and had traveled.
So basically, you can use the "have traveled" in the Present Tense and you can use the "had traveled" in Past Tense.

For Example:
I have traveled. Means you have finished you're traveled recently in 3-4 hours.
But On the other hand,
I had traveled. Means you finish your traveled in past whether it had finished one day back whether it had finished one year back

thanks
Sanjay Sinha
Teaching English from 5 years
https://www.englishsikho.com