Countless Hours of Cutting Ribbons

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

iilovepsycho

Countless Hours of Cutting Ribbons

Post by iilovepsycho »

Mr. Bloomberg, who has been vague about his policy goals beyond gaining control of the schools and the city's budget problems, said Friday that too much of his time has been sucked away by all the proclamations to sign (Yay for Mount Sinai's anniversary! Yippee for the ''Today'' show!), lunches to speak at, ribbons to cut and calls from across the city for face time with one of the most high-profile politicians in America.

And, he conceded, less time signing proclamations would mean more time thinking about the direction he wants to take the city in.

''I don't think I have enough time spent here, working on policy, which is the job,'' Mr. Bloomberg said at City Hall. ''I think we probably have done it as well as you can expect in the first three months with time pressures -- everyone wants a piece of you, it's fun, it's exciting, but I think I will have to change that mix going forward.''

The pervasive role of state oversight in the business of New York City has also surprised Mr. Bloomberg. ''There are very few things you can do without Albany's acquiescence,'' the mayor said, citing his frustration with not being able to install special cameras at street corners to curtail speeders without the state's approval.

1. What are Mr. Bloomberg's policy goals?
a. He has done something about schools and budget problems but not much else
b. He has not been able to go to enough events
c. He has tried to give control of schools and city's budget problems to outside states
d. He has not given it much thought

2. What is he complaning about?
a. He spends too much time worrying about his public image
b. He doesn't have enough time to do his job
c. There are so many events to attend that he doesn't have time to himself
d. He doesn't like to waste time meeting unimportant people

3. Where does he want to take the city?
a. he wants to get rid of proclamations and ceremony
b. He wants to change the mix of policymaking and business
c. He is worried that the proclamation will make the city look bad
d. He wants to focus on policies and do his job

4. What does Mr. Bloomberg think of the proclamations?
a. It's a waste of time
b. It's in need of control
c. It's a headache
d. It's beyond his control

These are not my homework, and I have finished the questions but there are no OAs. I would like to hear your opinions and correct answers, and to hear why you think so.

P.S. the original article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/07/nyreg ... wanted=all

My choices are: a, b, a, a <- drag there.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Countless Hours of Cutting Ribbons

Post by Tukanja »

a, b, b, a