Help with punctation

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

kocovaanna

Help with punctation

Post by kocovaanna »

Good afternoon,

Could please somebody help me with a punctation in this task?

Compare the following pairs of exmaples. 1, 3, 5 and 7 have a full stop between the two sentences. A semicolon would also be possible, but not comma. 2, 4, 6 and 8, on the other hand, have a comma. Decide why 2, 4, 6 and 8 can have a comma.

1. Turnon the main switch. Then set the tempareature.
2. Turn on the main switch, and then set the temperature.
3. The City is interesting on weekdays. On Sunday it is always completly deserted.
4. The City is interesting on weekdays, but on Sunday it is always completly deserted.
5. There is always a cold breeze in the evenings. Don't forget to pack a couple of jerseys.
6. There is always a cold breeze in the evenings, so don't forget to pack a couple of jerseys.
7. Sets can be booked throught a ticket agency. They can also be purchased at the theathre.
8. 7. Sets can be booked throught a ticket agency, or they can also be purchased at the theathre.

Now decide whether the following examples need any changes:

9. You can visit the famous buildings by bus, you can also take a horse-drawn cab.
10. The concerts usually start when the van has gone down, they last for about two and a half to three hours.
11. We will spend part of the day by the sea, bring a swimsuit.
12. Our guides are all experienced, most of them speak several languages, in any case all of them speak English.
13. Rhe bus leaves at 11 o'clok, we have lunch in a delightful little restaurant on top of the cliffs, then we visit the caves in the afternoon, finally we have a guided tour of the old town.
14. Munich is sometimes called the village with a milion people, it is the capital of Bavaria, it has wonderful art museums and churches.

I'm so sorry, I know the task is quite long.
I do thank you so much for your help in advance and wish a nice day ahead. <3
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Help with punctation

Post by Joe »

All of the second set of "sentences" need to be split up with full stops or joined with conjunctions. They all suffer from the dreaded comma splice disease.

comma splice
viewtopic.php?f=139&t=36889

conjunctions
https://www.englishclub.com/grammar/conjunctions.htm
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
kocovaanna

Post by kocovaanna »

Thank You very much for your help, you've been very kind. :)

I wish you a nice day ahead. <3
aaagul

Post by aaagul »

Compare the following pairs of exmaples. 1, 3, 5 and 7 have a full stop between the two sentences. A semicolon would also be possible, but not comma. 2, 4, 6 and 8, on the other hand, have a comma. Decide why 2, 4, 6 and 8 can have a comma. ???
Are you worried about ccna security best of luck