How to write like a Native Speaker

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

greatest

How to write like a Native Speaker

Post by greatest »

I am a Finance Professional from India having a regular habit of reading the Wall Stock Journals and other similar newspapers. Though I am able to read them with ease, I can't reproduce something similar. I am now looking for a job in Europe or United States where English is counted as a pre-requisite. And I feel my pathetic writing ability will occlude my chances in the Corporate.
So, here to seek help from the Native speakers to enhance my Lingual Proficiency. I don't face any problem with Vocabulary, the only issue is with composing the words elegantly and drawing the attention.
Xander

Re: How to write like a Native Speaker

Post by Xander »

I think you already write in a really good manner. And you want even more : write like a seasoned reporter whose native language is English. In my opinion it's next to impossible, but there's a lot of opportunities for simply improving your writing skills. Start a blog, write compositions, read a lot of novels and your skills will improve greatly.
PowerEnglish

Post by PowerEnglish »

Firstly, your English already seems very well written. As Xander said, it is next to impossible to write like a native, unless you have spent a long time in a native speaking country and gained a lot of experience and practise. Starting a blog is a great idea to help practise your writing, it could also be a good way to get feedback from readers on where you can improve.

As your English seems to be of a high standard already, perhaps it would be worth attending English classes specifically targeted for non native speakers going into the corporate world. There are some great online courses that target this area directly so it could be worth doing some research into.

Best of luck with any applications you have.
-------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.power-english.co.uk/

For the highest quality British and American English
proofreading and editing services.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

I would rather say "a native English speaker (a NES)" instead of "a native speaker". In addition, I agree, one must live amongst NES if he wants to compose the sentences like them.