Problem with my listening skills

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Waldron

Problem with my listening skills

Post by Waldron »

The problem is that sometimes even knowing the words being said I can't quite understand. Let's say if I watch something like Revenge with subtitles in English I understand perfectly, usually I only don't understand two or three words, but if I watch without subtitles then my comprehension decreases about 50% - 60%. Some sitcoms like Two and a Half Men is far easier. When it comes to sitcoms I understand about 85% - 90% even without subtitles. I don't think I just need to listen more audios in English, it helps, but it doesn't solve everything, 'cause there are words that I have heard several times and still sounds different to me."Advertising" for instance, I always hear a "p" instead of "dv". Regardless of who says it.

Could you please listen to the following audio? http://vocaroo.com/i/s1GmIwLDwg8B
I have this audio on Anki along with the phrase written on the answer and I've listened to it several times, but I always hear "assists" instead of "consists". I know it's "consists", but I always hear "assists". Did somebody hear it too? On this case it could be because of the accent, but I usually don't have problems comprehending the British accent.
I have problem with English spoken by Polish and Irish people only. But I believe that practice will solve this.

Listening never helps me with vocabulary. I had already heard the word "brag" but I had to see it written to know the correct form to pronounce and write. Before reading it I always heard "grab" or "brab" or something like that. The same with many other words.

Regarding songs I've heard that even native speakers have trouble undestanding lyrics, but I have the vibe that I should understand at least a little more.

How can I solve this? I would be extremely grateful if someone could help me with that problem.
Amazigh

Re: Problem with my listening skills

Post by Amazigh »

hi Waldron :

first , i hope you are doing great .
about your problem with listening, you should know that it is a common aspect for any foreigner learner .
the most important thing in my opinion is to comprehend the context instead to focus on a single word ; me too i heard assists in place of consist but I guess the meaning of the sentence can guide to choose the correct word .yet, the problem become worse when you hear a new word ; that moment you have only to predict and make an assumption .
for foreigner who don't live in a country which English is the mother tough , he must read as well as he listen , i recommend to you to listen to TED conference with the whole text ; then , you hit two bird with one stone , learning a new words and recognising them .moreover, those talks will give a chance to listen to a large different accent from African to Japanese .

for songs ; rhythm is the most important player , sometime they don't stress the word as a normal speaker did ; i have a friend of mine who is working as an English teacher for college students for several years , he told me that sometime he had to replay a song a hundred times before he can understand it .

did you sit for an ILTS examination ?

best wishes for you .
Waldron

Post by Waldron »

I agree with you, but sometimes that single word might have the whole context. I already TED, but I should listen to it more often, thanks anyway.

No, never done ILTS.

I'm sorry I took so long to answer you back.
imejok

Post by imejok »

I think we really need to know how to pronounce correctly. Otherwise, we will never pick a word up when we hear it. I like to listen to VOA Special English. It is slow and very clear. It is helpful to read along. No rush, one word at a time. We will get there. http://listen.express makes it easy to study with my cellphone. I can download the records I want to study and work on them on my way.