Uses of " Being"

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Ahmadkaf

Uses of " Being"

Post by Ahmadkaf »

Hello Friends,
Today, I came across the sentence below, I could not figure out why being is used it it. Please help.
" The new leaflet that we are all due to receive, printed under the banner of being from our Government, will mislead some people. "
studywcara

Re: Uses of " Being"

Post by studywcara »

" The new leaflet that we are all due to receive, printed under the banner of being from our Government, will mislead some people. "

Hi Ahmad!

You have found a strange sentence! I'll add in some words to see if it helps.

" The new leaflet that we are all due to receive, which has been printed under the banner of being from our Government, will mislead some people. "

So there is a relative clause. The clause is: The new leaflet has been printed under the banner of being from our Government.

I think it would be better if it was "The new leaflet has been printed under the banner of our Government." or even better "The new leaflet has been printed under our Government's banner."

Now - we can't follow the preposition "of" with another preposition "from". A preposition must be followed by a noun (or gerund) in this case - being.
"of being from" implies that it was not really from the Government. However - it is not clear that this is the intended message.

Actually - it is quite an awkward sentence!

Can I ask.. Why do you want to know? Are you interested in the grammar or are you learning to write better?

Good luck!

Cara