Can you say: phonetically flow best or the best phonetic flow?

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

davidtrinh

Can you say: phonetically flow best or the best phonetic flow?

Post by davidtrinh »

My uncle had a name change last month. His last name is Pong. He wanted to change his first name to one of the three choices: Happy, Jacky and Ping. He decided to choose Ping. I am going to make up an example about his name change.

(ex) My uncle changed his name for two reasons. One reason is that he likes to play table tennis, also known as ping pong. The second reason is that he thinks Ping and Pong phonetically flow best or have the best phonetic flow when compared with the other two choices.

Do both "phonetically flow best" and "the best phonetic flow" work in this context? Thanks a lot.
Joe
Admin/Teacher
Admin/Teacher

Re: Can you say: phonetically flow best or the best phonetic flow?

Post by Joe »

Not really. You could just say:

The second reason is that he thinks Ping and Pong sound better together when compared with the other two choices.

The second reason is that he thinks Ping goes with Pong better than the other two choices do.

The second reason is that he thinks Ping goes with Pong better than Happy or Jacky does.
"We are not wholly bad or good, who live our lives under Milk Wood :-| " — Dylan Thomas, Under Milk Wood

eBooks: English Prepositions List | Essential Business Words | Learn English in Seven
darbrider

Re: Can you say: phonetically flow best or the best phonetic flow?

Post by darbrider »

Personally I think "Ping and Pong phonetically flow best" is just fine