Correct the story

Members help members on grammar, vocab, pronunciation...

Moderator: EC

Christin

Correct the story

Post by Christin »

Hi there, could someone correct the following story about bad holiday, which I have written.

Thanks

Last year my family and I stayed at the Beach Hotel in Italy. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. In a couple of days I fell ill with stomach bug. First I had a stomach-ache only then I felt sick. The following day I brought my dinner up in the toilet. During the night the pain was getting worse my mother decided to call the doctor. Fortunately, I did not have to be hospitalized.I was given some medicines and it eased my pain. Doctor also put me on a diet and I had to stay in bed.
It wasn´t all what happened. On the way back to the airport our bus broke down so we were stuck on the highway almost 2 hours and missed our departure. When we finally got to the airport our other flight was held up for 5 hours. “How bad can this holiday get?” I said to myself.

Before travelling abroad we took out the travel insurance which covered Medical Expenses, Missed departure and Travel delay.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: Correct the story

Post by Tukanja »

Hi, my try below

Last year, my family and I went to the Beach Hotel in Italy. The service was excellent, and the food delicious. But in a couple of days, I fell ill with a stomach bug. Firstly, I had a stomach-ache only after which I felt sick. The following day, I throw my dinner up in the toilet. During the night, the pain was getting worse so my mother decided to call the doctor. Fortunately, I did not have to be hospitalized. I was just given some medicine and the pain eased. Doctor also put me on a diet, and also, I had to stay in bed.
It wasn't all what happened. On the way back to the airport, our bus broke down so we were strained for almost 2 hours what caused missing our departure. When we finally got to the airport, our other flight was held up for 5 hours. “How bad can this holiday get?” I said to myself.

Before travelling abroad, we took the travel insurance out, which covered my medical expenses, missed departure and travel delay.

I am not sure I've got the meaning of your the last sentence.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

May be I've got the last sentence now, and I would write it as below.

"Before travelling abroad, we'd taken the travel insurance out, which covered my medical expenses, missed departure and travel delay.
Tukanja
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Post by Tukanja »

bring up / throw up / vomit

chuck up?
Reetagms

Post by Reetagms »

How bad can this holiday get:
Last year me and my family we stayed at the Beach Hotel in Italy. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. In a couple of days I fell ill with stomach bug first I just had a stomach-ache and then I felt sick. The following day I throw my dinner up in the toilet. During the night the pain was getting worse, my mother decided to call the doctor .fortunately, I did not have to be hospitalized.I was given some medicines and it eased my pain. Doctor also put me on a diet and I had to stay on bed.
It wasn't all what happened during this trip, on the way back to the airport our bus broke down so we were stuck on the highway almost for 2 hours and missed our departure Bus as time as we were late and bus gone at the time, we were informed to catch. When we finally got to the airport our other flight was held up for 5 hours. I said to myself “How bad can this holiday get?”

Before travelling abroad we took out the travel insurance which covered Medical Expenses, Missed departure and Travel delay.